Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Essay

Options
  • 12-05-2007 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any good websites/notes of facts/stats to be used in english essays??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

sternn wrote:
    Anyone have any good websites/notes of facts/stats to be used in english essays??

www.quotations.com

google any quotes sites!

www.sparknotes.com
    www.skoool.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

There's two sample essays that got high marks in the LC at

http://www.zulunotes.com/wiki/index.php/The_Essay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Shaner-B

my teacher gave me 80% in d mocks 4 my essay. i've realised that the essay with a lil tweaking can be used 4 most of d past exam questions.

basically u complain about the state of the world mentioning the following:

-the environment (are we doing anything about it?)
    -terrorism (the effect of exagerrating media and how it has created a paronoid society)
    -political leaders (incompetence with todays problems)
    -economy (irelands economy, is it out of control?)
    -consumerism (people today,direct result from money; social problems etc.)

these points flow into each other which gives the essay some good structure. obviously the person correcting it may not think its an 80% answer to but it should be useful 2 have! hope its some help 2 ya!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Shaner-B

i was supposed to spell dat 'commom' above, not 'coomon'!! you'll prob be less confident about using my essay idea after that mistake!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Why would you spell "common" with two m's?

Anyways OP, if you can still use a picture for an essay you can just start the introduction with the first scene and then adapt it to follow onto an essay you've already written before, if you follow me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

3 'M's in fact.

I doubt learning off essays is a good idea though. If you learned the 5 uses of language well and how to use them properly it'd be much better for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

meh I got 94 in my leaving for the essay portion. I know its not for everyone and by learned off I don't mean word for word, general plan of an essay you've written before that can be adapted according to the pictures you are offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

meh I got 94 in my leaving for the essay portion. I know its not for everyone and by learned off I don't mean word for word, general plan of an essay you've written before that can be adapted according to the pictures you are offered.

Yeah I guess if you had the structure and idea of a good story you could link to the pictures. The examiners are instructed that any relevance at all counts as far as i'm aware.

There is always a theme running through paper 1 and the pictures are always based on that theme though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I wrote a personal response essay a while back that got 97%. It's not really adaptable to another title but it gives you a good idea of what a personal response should be. I might type it up on zulunotes sometime today.

hehe, eventually... Typed up and available on zulunotes now.

link to essay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Impressive essay, albeit a rather cynical/fatalistic attitude you hold (I'm guessing) towards life.

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Impressive essay, albeit a rather cynical/fatalistic attitude you hold (I'm guessing) towards life.
    bah, I play with ideas without attributing too much weight to them. I like to explore ideas fully instead of shunning them as soon as I guess where they might be headed. The point of the essay wasn't really that life amounted to nothing, in fact it didn't really so much have a point as it was more of a sort of tongue in cheek, playful argument against optimism. ... Yes, that was me being playful...

oh, and thanks :).

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I like the essay!! An alternative look on the title.... thats the type of imagination I envy and what the examiners love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Forgive my ignorance but I'm rather confused by the quote. Are we hugging to the earth for our life and being, or the life and being of the earth?

the original intention of the author is irrelevant, once you are given a quote for a composition then you are free to interpret it any way you wish (as long as that interpretation doesn't show some extreme misunderstanding of the language)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Yes I agree with you. Its just the difference in the interpretations are almost completely polar opposites when you consider each meaning seperately that I was just wondering how people perceived it.

Advertisement