Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Found O2 3G sim card in town !

• 13-05-2007 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

i was going through temple bar and i hapened upon an o2 3g sim card, i didnt know o2 had 3g sim cards, where can i purchase one ??? but also what should i do with this one

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

of course they have 3G sim cards, how else would phones be able to use the 3G network they have roflmao :-)

Also, i'll assume that any 3G phone you bug from O2 ( like the 7390 coming out soon via the '3G' Shops ) will have the 3G sim, not sure if you can buy a SIM-only pack which is 3G, who knows :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

yeah, they have a 3g network but its very hidden and they dont like screaming about it, 3 networks in this country with 3g and not a single one will sell me a pay as you go 3g sim card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

yeah, they have a 3g network but its very hidden and they dont like screaming about it, 3 networks in this country with 3g and not a single one will sell me a pay as you go 3g sim card
    here you go, its 20 euro with 100 credit

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOBILE-SIM-CARDS_W0QQitemZ170108418542QQihZ007QQcategoryZ106442QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Now are you happy :)

yeah, but theres a problem, unless your using a 3 approved handest (the imate jasjar is not on that list) it doesnt work with data services and messenging properly

yeah, but theres a problem, unless your using a 3 approved handest (the imate jasjar is not on that list) it doesnt work with data services and messenging properly

• Advertisement

Anyway now you know where to get the sim card if you ever need one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

drdre wrote:
    the picture of the sim card was taken in 2004 and 3pay wasn't launched here until 2006 :confused:

maybe the date on his camera is wrong

the picture of the sim card was taken in 2004 and 3pay wasn't launched here until 2006 :confused:

maybe the date on his camera is wrong

It must be the date on the camera or just a photo from the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i was going through temple bar and i hapened upon an o2 3g sim card, i didnt know o2 had 3g sim cards, where can i purchase one ??? but also what should i do with this one
    Go into the store and ask them to replace your existing SIM with a 3G one. Unless you've got a 3G handset you won't get 3G speeds and even then the SIM makes very little difference, if any.

If you just found a SIM card just throw it away, it's no use to anyone now as there's prob a pin on it and the persons prob got a new one anyway.

yeah, tried, o2 deny that they infact have an opperating 3g network unless you buy a data card, im on pay as you go, i have an imate jasjar, i want my 384kbps and i want it now !

• Advertisement

yeah, tried, o2 deny that they infact have an opperating 3g network unless you buy a data card, im on pay as you go, i have an imate jasjar, i want my 384kbps and i want it now !
    Just change network to 3 and get a 3G simcard.Then you will be fine

yeah i tried that, when you put the sim card in your phone it says registration failed then you cant send sms, make video calls, or connect to the internet (3pay btw..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Odd, I can use O2's 3G network without any problems, and that's on prepay. Logs right in, and it's faster too. The only problem is that they charge €10 per megabyte (!!!), which makes it worthless as far as actually using it.

I am really looking forward to O2's new data pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I don't understand this? They told you they didn't have one? Sounds like the person you spoke to on the phone was retarded. I use it daily on my k800i and in my XDA Exec!

Urban is right about the costs though... bit steep on prepay and if you wanna be prepay and do 3G data you should prob choose 3 from what I'm told.

ciaranfo wrote:
    I don't understand this? They told you they didn't have one? Sounds like the person you spoke to on the phone was retarded. I use it daily on my k800i and in my XDA Exec!

Urban is right about the costs though... bit steep on prepay and if you wanna be prepay and do 3G data you should prob choose 3 from what I'm told.

i would but the 3pay sim cards go mental in other phones, on the jasjar the roaming indicater comes up along with unknown provider, and you cant send sms or make video calls

Odd, I can use O2's 3G network without any problems, and that's on prepay. Logs right in, and it's faster too. The only problem is that they charge €10 per megabyte (!!!), which makes it worthless as far as actually using it.

I am really looking forward to O2's new data pricing.

i know, wait for it, it actually works out cheaper for me to have a datacard connected to a server at home and connect by dialup to it to get my mail to me,

19cent a minute calls, 6kbps actual , 360kb for 19 cent, 52 cent a megabyte, and with o2s new friends thing, if i top up by 20 a month itll be free :D

its slow, but im only getting emails, not surfing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Youve totally lost me here also!?!?!?!?
    There are 3 networks with 3G and leaving 3 aside, you can buy a sim card for O2 and Vodafone anywhere!!! AND, the minute you pop them into a 3G phone, once you are in an area with coverage, they grab the 3G network and work without problems as ciaranfo and urban said?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

After my V3 decided to stop working I went into my local o2 store to get it replaced. The lovely lady behind the counter told me she was going to replace my sim card too. So she replaced my old esat digifone speakeasy sim with a shiny new o2 one with 3G written on it. Its no use to me (at least I don't think it is) since I've got a V3. I suppose she was just trying to 'future proof' me. I'm sure if you go into an o2 store they'd replace your old sim. I didn't even have to ask!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

ianwalsh2 wrote:
    After my V3 decided to stop working I went into my local o2 store to get it replaced. The lovely lady behind the counter told me she was going to replace my sim card too. So she replaced my old esat digifone speakeasy sim with a shiny new o2 one with 3G written on it. Its no use to me (at least I don't think it is) since I've got a V3. I suppose she was just trying to 'future proof' me. I'm sure if you go into an o2 store they'd replace your old sim. I didn't even have to ask!

That's exactly what she did. The old SIMs don't have as much memory for a start. You should notice that your SIM can hold more numbers. There are other functions on the SIM that will allow you use the 3G data network should you hapen to pop it into a 3G/HSDPA device. Be careful on the tarrifs though, ensure you know how much per Mb you are being charged. You can rack up quite a bill being on the incorrect tarrif while using a HSDPA service!!! Theoretical 3.6Mbps and a Mb can cost up to €5 on most networks where no data tarrif is specified, that means you can spend nearly up to €20 a second!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

but also what should i do with this one[/QUOTE]

You could hand the sim in to an O2 store as they can easily trace the owner..by ringing the network ..(the network will have to contact him/her)

Even though the owner has most likely replaced the card by now.He /she could have a pile of names and numbers on it (and no back up)
    they could be very glad to get it back..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Just to note. You do not need a 3G sim to use the Vodafone 3G network as they did away with 3G sims about two years ago. 2.5G sims work completely fine.

Advertisement