Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car mechanic tinkered with the milleage ... What to do now ?

Options
  • 13-05-2007 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Some 6 months ago some electrical part on my golf crapped out, so I went to a mechanic and they changed it.
    He called me and he asked how much milleage the car had ?

It had around 49k, but didn't know what he was asking for so I said around 40. When I picked up the car the milleage was reset because of the part change and was set at 40k.

I didn't pay too much attention at that time. Now I am in the position that I have to move to the UK and thinking of selling the car which has 55k, but only show 45k. This will make any buyer nervous ?

What are my choices:
    - set it to the correct milleage ? Who can do this legally ?
    - leave it like this and inform a prospective buyer ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If I were you, i'd have it reset to the correct mileage. Why not just get the mechanic you used before to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Choice 3: Say nothing at all.
    When you're explaining, you're losing. Once people hear the mileage was tinkered with, it will put them off and make you appear suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Changing the mileage in a car is not illegal at all. It is only becomes illegal if you knowingly sell the car and claim the wrong mileage on it. It would be an offense if you did say when asked that the cars mileage is incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

the best thing is just go back to your mechanic and get it put forward to the milage it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

You could do what alot of dodgy sellers are doing now say "xxxx miles on the clock", this simply implies the clock reads xxxx miles and doesn't imply the car has done xxxx miles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

The correct mileage is stored on the ecu (most cars). If you go into a vw dealer or anyone with a diagnostics machine, they read the true milage. The setting of the mileage is something not alot of people want to do but go back to lad that changed it and he might remember you. My advice is to change it back because if the car is having its true mileage read through the diagnostics in the future then you might find yourself in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

It is only 10k, not really much difference in the long run. I dont think it would be a good thing to mention when selling it. Id be more inclined to say nothing or else get it changed. Though i think if it was 20k off or more then it would be worth getting changed but at 10 is not worth the hassle. I did not know you could get the correct milage from the ecu, that is interesting.

Advertisement