Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone work for TalkTalk ??

Options
  • 13-05-2007 9:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭

Just wondering do any of you guys know if talktalk will be providing broadband in the near future??

Every time i phone them they say "they'll have it soon":rolleyes: but its been like that for the past year.

There phone service is fine, and i really would like to stick with them but if there not going to provide bb than i'll jump ship.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

My da is switching to them but they don't even have a 56K "Flatrate" package like the other providers.

I'd jump ship if I were you. They are just stringing you along IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

its supposed to be launched during the summer but as you say they've been saying that for a while now

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

philstar wrote:
    Just wondering do any of you guys know if talktalk will be providing broadband in the near future??

Every time i phone them they say "they'll have it soon":rolleyes: but its been like that for the past year.

There phone service is fine, and i really would like to stick with them but if there not going to provide bb than i'll jump ship.

Why are you depriving yourself of bb in the meantime? Most isps have six month contracts and if you really want to go with Talk Talk at the end of that period just cancel. Its that simple reallly!

In the UK people have had awful problems with Talk Talk just google and you will find lots of material that would not encourage you to be hanging around for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

They have taken a hammering in uk over service, customer support etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dublinguy2007

I work for talktalk customer care first of all broadband will come to talktalk but there is no word from anybody in the company when. we are told to say its coming soon. also brim4brim, there is a flatrate talktalk dialup package called talk.net25. eircom have a similar package thats 1euro more expensive. its 25 off peak hours for 8.99.
    and if you do want to cancle with talktalk go ahead because there is no minimun term and no fees!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Timed is NOT flatrate. Other Countries have true flat rate internet on Dial up. i.e. fixed price for 24x7 to compensate those that can't get BB.

There is a Talk Talk package with free calls up to 1hr all evening & weekends. Just hangup every 59min.

It's Geographic numbers only, so for dialup Internet use an old geographic POP number (i.e. 01, 021, 061 etc). May only be available for Eircom, IOL, Indigo etc. They still work.

Timed Internet packages on Dialup and especially DSL should be illegal. Timed packages are OK I suppose for talk, though with my present phone suppiler that would double my call cost to be on the cheapest timed package for taling.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

TalkTalk BB is pegged for during the summer as far as I know, its been "coming soon" for some time, while they have taken slack in the UK the market their is very different imho.

I guess time will tell if it'll be LLU, resold bitstream or a mixture of both, in the end competition is a good thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Cabaal wrote:
    TalkTalk BB is pegged for during the summer as far as I know, its been "coming soon" for some time, while they have taken slack in the UK the market their is very different imho.

I have TalkTalk in the UK and am very happy with it. The problems they had in the UK was that they offered free broadband for life with their phone package expecting about 20,000 new customers and instead had over 250,000 applications. That meant they had to invest in new infrastructure and staff which meant it took almost a year to clear the backlog. This may be what delayed rollout in Ireland.

That said, I got my BB in late January (within 10 weeks of application) so it looks like they have sorted most of their problems. Maybe they'll be offering a service in Ireland soon enough now that the UK crisis appears to be over.

/aside bragging:
    My last combined phone and BB bill was £31 including VAT :D That's because my BB is free, local and national calls are free as well as calls to 25 international countries including most of Europe, Australia and the US :D I basically only pay for line rental and calls to mobiles :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Is there limitations on the free bb service, eg torrents can't be downloaded, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

all i know, is that somebody is looking to hire a network engineer with experience in LLU systems, TCP/IP, networking etc etc in Dublin 17.

hmmm i wonder who its going to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

byte wrote:
    Is there limitations on the free bb service, eg torrents can't be downloaded, etc?
    In the UK, there is a fair usage policy but it's 40 GB a month which isn't too bad. They also warn you if you have gone over the limit but will cut you off if you are a repeat offender.

I didn't see anything about torrents in the policy and have downloaded some myself without any trouble. I've watched a lot of online TV shows on some sites that don't have permission to show those shows and I use the internet a lot but haven't exceeded the fair usage policy yet. Not sure what the T&Cs will be like for Ireland.

Advertisement