Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 100% guaranteed official summer exams thread!!!111!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

One down :).

Six to go :(.

Ireland 1760-1800 was predictable and fair. I probably did fine, and could've done excellently had I bothered to study in sooner.

Ah well, there ya go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Three down, six to go :(

Philosophy of Language was really fair, was very happy with it.
    Nineteenth Century Paris equally so - and the lecturer told me outside that I got a first in the essay :D

Three day break now until next week which will be hell...exams on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I have so much resentment towards the exams office right now. I was right up the front and beside the divider thingy in Pavillions 1 & 2 today for my exam. They in their infinite wisdom decided it would be fine to start exams in Pavillion 3 at 3 when we started at 2, despite the fact that the only thing dividing the rooms is a metal fence.

So because I was right beside the fence, for about 15 minutes before 3 o'clock the noise was UNREAL. The exam didnt go great for me, because I pretty much blanked on one question getting dates mixed up and all the noise really wasnt helping my already fragile state of mind.

The guy in front of me complained to an invigilator about the noise and though he said he couldnt do anything about it he said we could have some extra time at the end to make up for it. But no, at 4 o'clock on the dot we had to hand up our papers.

Not to mention the guys who thought it'd be a great time to re-arrange things in the waiting area outside the exam hall while the exam was on. ARGH.

beanyb, you should get an extenuating circumstances form as soon as possible and fill it out including all those details. I'd imagine you can get them from the programme office or at the exam centre itself.

If you're in any way borderline they should push you over because of that - totally unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Wow, I didnt even know they existed! Thanks Vainglory!

I dont think I failed it or anything, not even close probably, but since it's finals and all I need to do well. And with the history department not giving us percentages from Christmas exams I dont know if I've a relatively safe 2:1 and therefore can deal with one crappish exam or if I'm borderline and a crappish exam could push me towards a 2:2.

• Advertisement

They were brought in while I was Ed officer, it's a great idea. DCU have had them for bloody years.

You should definitely get one. At the very least it can't do any harm and might very well do some good. I think you have to get it signed by a student adviser or the students union welfare officer but either shouldn't be a problem.

Oh and...if none of the categories on the form exactly fits your situation then I'd advise attaching an explanatory note on a separate sheet. Hope that helps.

Try to sound as angry and outraged as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Yeah, I did the Ottomans question - not exactly how I was hoping the question would be asked but the exam wasn't too bad overall. I'm not looking forward to the Irish history though!

Irish history sucks!! 40 euro for that Alvin Jackson book, what a rip off. I will just use my vast reserves of bs and kick ass, I hope. Good luck, from a fellow 1st year history student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

40 euro for that Alvin Jackson book, what a rip off.

Try €350 for McGrath on Evidence or €250 for Corporate Finance Law

I'd cry with joy if my books were €40

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭Sarn

I'd definitely second the extenuating circumstances form or at least mail your module coordinator. There's very little that can be done but you could be given the benefit of the doubt if at a borderline grade. Doing it after you get your results is too late and won't garner much sympathy at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Neurophysiology was a big pile of poo, I could have learnt my notes inside out and the book word for word and it would barely have been any use. As it was it was a true/false exam with only minus a half, so frankly I'm hoping for a bit of luck and to reach the pass by compensation mark.

Oh and to add to the fun there was a bird or two flying about and one of the radiography class has a phobia of them...

The only redeeming feature of the evening was the swoonsome guy who was one of the helper people in the sexy orange t-shirts ;) who might be a boardsie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Irish history sucks!! 40 euro for that Alvin Jackson book, what a rip off. I will just use my vast reserves of bs and kick ass, I hope. Good luck, from a fellow 1st year history student.
    Cheers, good luck too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Brilliant, can't get exam papers. 503 service temporarily unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Guys, for the benefit of someone who's not around, what's the security arrangement down in the RDS this year around as regarding backpacks and such? I'm just asking out of curiosity because I've just text two people who both came out of an exam 40 minutes ago and neither have delivered yet; the worrier in me is thinking that there's a chance both phones were lifted...?

**edit: never mind. Just got the deliveries. :)

**further edit: In slightly lesser news, though, the 2nd/3rd BCL Environmental Law exam was a shambles. The lecturer showed up 45 minutes into a two-hour lecture and gave extra papers on a core topic to the invigilators who then managed to ignore some of the 3rd Law people sitting in the exam in a seperate block, and then other invigilators neglected to tell most of the people sitting the exam that there was an extra 30 minutes being allowed. Hence there's a bundle of people who weren't given all components of the exam paper, and far more people who got up to leave at 2pm, and looked around at their classmates wondering why nobody else was getting up. No announcements were made over the intercom despite the Class Reps asking for them. Absolute shambles, the exam is basically going to have to be void and the lecturer gotten rid of for gross incompetence at this stage. She only gave something like 7 lectures of the 12 weeks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

Any advice for all night cramming? I was thinking of attaching electrodes to my brain and shocking myself every 5-10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

stolenwine wrote:
    Any advice for all night cramming? I was thinking of attaching electrodes to my brain and shocking myself every 5-10 minutes.
    If you know you're going to need sleep, take four hours exactly, no more, no less. THat's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

It's probably best if you don't pull an all-nighter.

The electrodes on the other hand....... KINKEH! naughty.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

The electrodes on the other hand....... KINKEH! naughty.gif

oh dear god!! :eek: I'll see how I get on, it's a nine o'clock nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Did International Relations today....blankety blank blank blank went my head. I spent more time staring up at the roof then I did writing. Does anyone happen to know if a pluralistic security community refers to democratic peace theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Three down: Critical Theory and Post-Structualism, Philosophy of Language, and Hermeneutics and Deconstruction (sometimes I'm forced to admit that philosophy is a ridiculous subjecte).

Still have seven left, but since I have the weekend off I'm taking a break with a beer and then latest episode of One Tree Hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

(sometimes I'm forced to admit that philosophy is a ridiculous subjecte).
    Don't give in!! It's worth it for those moments of understanding and clarity that you get at least once in a while!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

stolenwine wrote:
    TI was thinking of attaching electrodes to my brain and shocking myself every 5-10 minutes.

I can totally sort you out with TENS or NEMS, one is a tingling pain relief, the other causes muscles to contract, neither are in any way comfortable once you power them up...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

**further edit: In slightly lesser news, though, the 2nd/3rd BCL Environmental Law exam was a shambles. The lecturer showed up 45 minutes into a two-hour lecture and gave extra papers on a core topic to the invigilators who then managed to ignore some of the 3rd Law people sitting in the exam in a seperate block, and then other invigilators neglected to tell most of the people sitting the exam that there was an extra 30 minutes being allowed. Hence there's a bundle of people who weren't given all components of the exam paper, and far more people who got up to leave at 2pm, and looked around at their classmates wondering why nobody else was getting up. No announcements were made over the intercom despite the Class Reps asking for them. Absolute shambles, the exam is basically going to have to be void and the lecturer gotten rid of for gross incompetence at this stage. She only gave something like 7 lectures of the 12 weeks anyway.

Ouch, know a lot of people doing that exam. So thats what those facebook profiles were about....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Ugh. Two exams tomorrow with just an hour gap. At least thery're on late. 8 o'clock finish ftw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Tá Mé Gaeilge

this is my second all nighter in a week! anyone else up? its getting bright outside. Exams aren't good for my health. I have to try memorise a years criminal law course before 9 o clock:(

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

Tá M&#233 wrote: »
    this is my second all nighter in a week! anyone else up? its getting bright outside. Exams aren't good for my health. I have to try memorise a years criminal law course before 9 o clock:(

yup, im cramming for a 9 o clock aswell

I'll be the person who stumbles from his desk in the PAV at 10 o clock, and heads towards the door sighing in disbelief that the miracle i had been expecting didn't come to be. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Tá Mé Gaeilge

haha great i'm not alone- what exam you have? how does one stay awake??? i wish i liked coffee cause red bull makes me sick

Best of lluck with all your exams guys!I know how it feels to be doing all night cramming.Was doing it two weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

Tá M&#233 wrote: »
    haha great i'm not alone- what exam you have? how does one stay awake??? i wish i liked coffee cause red bull makes me sick

Im doing a compsci repeat exam. :-/ Digital Systems

You should try really bitter oranges, the sheer shudder factor makes you sit up straight!! :-)

Coffee can only do so much...after two or three cups i feel like my bloodstream is starting to solidify!!

@the_dazzler: cheers bud

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Good morning fellow crammers!

Advertisement