Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 100% guaranteed official summer exams thread!!!111!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Mornin! Three eixams today, this'll be fun, fun, fun. Dfferental & Integral Calculus at 9, then Fields, Waves & Light at 3 followed by Introduction to Problems of Philosophy at 6.

This is gonna be a long day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Guys, for the benefit of someone who's not around, what's the security arrangement down in the RDS this year around as regarding backpacks and such? I'm just asking out of curiosity because I've just text two people who both came out of an exam 40 minutes ago and neither have delivered yet; the worrier in me is thinking that there's a chance both phones were lifted...?

**edit: never mind. Just got the deliveries. :)
    And I thought I was paranoid
    Its basically like a club-€1 to put in your stuff. Its available in Pav 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Did International Relations today....blankety blank blank blank went my head. I spent more time staring up at the roof then I did writing. Does anyone happen to know if a pluralistic security community refers to democratic peace theory?

I did that one too. The essay section was undoubtedly challenging.

As for your question, I'm sorry to tell you it doesn't. But sure you'll be grand if you gave in your essays and attended the tutorials. The MCQ and the Short Answer Questions were 50% of the exam, so I'd say you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Chakar wrote:
    As for your question, I'm sorry to tell you it doesn't. But sure you'll be grand if you gave in your essays and attended the tutorials. The MCQ and the Short Answer Questions were 50% of the exam, so I'd say you'll be fine.
    eep.

I'm not that bothered, I did both Neo-Realism Qs, they were grand and I 'm pretty sure I got around 60%-70% of the MCQ answered correctly so hopefully I'll pass. Globalisation today, not lucking forward to it but it's my last exam so....I'm looking forward to finishing it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Well after realising i missed and exam on tuesday, i went to the doc on thursday and was told i had an ear infection and tonsilitis. No wonder i been so tired of late.

Good news is that of the 3 exams i've done i think i've passed all 3 :D
    4 left 2 maybe 3 of which im in serious trouble for :(
    Im doing a compsci repeat exam. :-/ Digital Systems
    Did that today too. Wasn't too bad. Answered all of question one (hoepfulyl correctly), two thirds of question 2 and some of 3 and 4 (whichever gets me more marks :p ). Am confident i passed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

There's nothing worse than a big arse crack staring at you when you're trying to concentrate. It happened me this morning.

Pull up your trousers FFS! im trying to concentrate here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

stebishop wrote:
    There's nothing worse than a big arse crack staring at you when you're trying to concentrate. It happened me this morning.

Pull up your trousers FFS! im trying to concentrate here!
    It's those pesky slopy chairs! There was an epidemic of builder's bum last year, but the rise in popularity of the smock has helped to combat the crack attack somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Just took the 2nd year Quants paper, not the nicest of exams, and 3/5 questions wasn't the best. Heres hoping my good mid-term will help me pass!

Bring on Macro tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Notorious wrote:
    Just took the 2nd year Quants paper, not the nicest of exams, and 3/5 questions wasn't the best. Heres hoping my good mid-term will help me pass!

Bring on Macro tonight!

Agreed, although I definitely did better today than in the midterm. Fuming over messing up a question I would've had sorted otherwise though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Damn lecturer... he had one topic on his course, and a short introduction topic also. He told us to study his main topic (animal models of haemostasis) and make sure we form our own opinions on the use of animal models etc etc.... he also mentions he'd never ask a question on the short introduction topic and that we shouldn't worry about it.

And then his question on the paper... nothing to do with animal models, its solely on his unrelated introductory topic which hed "never have a question" on.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

Okay I suppose it shouldn't really matter. Is it just me or should the examination papers be sealable not just a little corner with your name on it but the actual content. Not that I care if it falls into the wrong hands so to speak.

How do you get to become an inviligilator how much does it pay? looks like a load of torturous fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

stolenwine wrote:
    Okay I suppose it shouldn't really matter. Is it just me or should the examination papers be sealable not just a little corner with your name on it but the actual content. Not that I care if it falls into the wrong hands so to speak.

How do you get to become an inviligilator how much does it pay? looks like a load of torturous fun.

It is lots of fun :confused: . Usually its for PhD and Research Masters students who arent sitting any exams themselves. Its not worth the pay if you're in any of the big halls. Unless you're Team leader, its tough and abusive. You're a shadow of a person after one exam, nevermind 12 hours straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

As soon as all the papers are collected they're ordered according to student number and placed in a sealed envelope and sent to the lecturer who's correcting the paper so not much chance of people copying etc. Though if I use any additional paper i just write as much info as I can on it to ensure it'll get to my lecturer etc.

One of my friends had a paper lost last year as he sits his papers on campus - they just passed him automatically.

And postgrads are offered invigilating jobs, they send out an email and you can just apply for it. Money is good enough for it, my ex did it last year and I think he was getting around 12e an hour though from what I've heard being a section head is a bit of a pain.

I personally love how the invigilators walk around for ages before exams with the papers in there hands. We had a number of papers last year that were just one page photocopied back and front. One of the invigilators was really keen on making sure we didn't see the front page of the paper so held said paper really close to their chest.

Thing was though all the questions were on the back. Cue the possibility that lots of students got to read 4 of 6 of the questions a full 15 minutes before the start of the exam and were able to discuss them as well as run outside and check notes. Not that anyone would ever do such a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Section Heads are a thing of last year. We are called "Team Leaders" now. Its not all that bad. Depends on where you are. A smaller hall with the right team and its easy. Unless something goes wrong, like scripts going missing or students becoming ill or cheating etc.

Oh I'm showing my non modularised age now aren't I ;) I feel so old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

I'm sitting in the library, trying to kid myself into thinking I'm getting work done.

I have the Dr. Who theme on my headphones at the moment. Do you think people would get really angry if I whistled along with it?

Fremen wrote:
    I have the Dr. Who theme on my headphones at the moment. Do you think people would get really angry if I whistled along with it?

You better not be sitting near me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Irish history module went so much better than I expected. :)

Oh, and my friend saw someone cheat. Bastard got away with it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

[DESPERATE]Does anyone know anything about Fluvial Systems and Geomorphology and would like to do an exam on this for me on Monday?????[/DESPERATE] :eek: :(:o :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm sitting in my room at home trying to study for Computer Graphics... the sun's streaming in the window and I'm getting feckall work done :( This sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

anyone sit employment law today? i think the paper was fair but literally finished at five on the dot, didnt have time to read over anything etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I was in Pavilions 1 & 2 today and there was like building work going on outside. Hammering and drilling and what sounded like people rolling barrells. It was super distracting. What the hell? The sounds of the hammering just echoed around the hall.
    Luckily it was a lovely paper but I keep losing my concentration. Had classical Irish in blackrock last night, I was like a zombie today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cookiebliss

on friday during my 9-12 exam in pav 1+2, for the entire last hour it sounded like there was construction work going on directly behind the white partitions. sounded like someone dragging equipment and ladders around. was mega distracting and kept loosing my concentration. have no more exams in the rds at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

One more exam left on Tuesday thankfully.

Toxicology on Friday was really handy, I got so incredibly lucky with the questions that came up, my mate told me what to study and what to forget about and he predicted the paper brilliantly!

Yesterday was Advanced CNS and Development which was okay except that I ran out of time again and couldn't finish my ocular question, addiction was good, grrrrr on trying to remember the Dopamine antagonists though.

And those feckin pigeons!

tribulus wrote:
    Toxicology on Friday was really handy, I got so incredibly lucky with the questions that came up, my mate told me what to study and what to forget about and he predicted the paper brilliantly!

Hope those notes were of some use, let me guess... toxicity testing, risk assessment, lung tox and erm... carcinogens? The first two usually come up every year its great.

We got shafted in a paper yesterday, was told a question on it and then something unrelated came up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

[DESPERATE]Does anyone know anything about Fluvial Systems and Geomorphology and would like to do an exam on this for me on Monday?????[/DESPERATE] :eek: :(:o :eek:

Yeah its going to be a tough paper, notes on blackboard don't help at all either. I'm really not looking forward to this one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

so who actually looks at the little triangular foldy bit on the exam paper with your signature in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

mloc wrote:
    Hope those notes were of some use, let me guess... toxicity testing, risk assessment, lung tox and erm... carcinogens? The first two usually come up every year its great.

We got shafted in a paper yesterday, was told a question on it and then something unrelated came up.

The notes have been a big help, thanks again. Yeah Risk Assessment was a long Q1, Toxicity Testing and In Vitro Assays as brief notes Q2, Lung Toxicity 2 brief notes again (kind messed up here) and Teratogenicity as a long Q4.

There was half of final year pharmacology in the library on friday night by the looks of it - i was there trying and failing to study....

Renal and CV on Tuesday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

stolenwine wrote:
    so who actually looks at the little triangular foldy bit on the exam paper with your signature in there?

Whoever adds up your marks so I guess the lecturers do so they can add that grade to the midterm grade?

• Advertisement

I think it's there purely if you forget to put your student number on it or it two people write down the same student number, or you put down the wrong student number.

Everything I hand up uses student numbers only. So the corner is basically just a back up way of identifying who wrote what.

Advertisement