Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee blending

Options
  • 13-05-2007 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Is this done? Is it possible at home? I think I read of such a feat somewhere but don't know the first thing about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I reckon you'd need to be roasting your own coffee beans.
    Here's a good article on blending
    http://www.sweetmarias.com/blending.html

Maybe I'll pick myself up a home roaster and start working
    on El Gran Hermano signature blend!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭billyblanks

Ideally you should home roast to blend as you have much better control over roast and variety, but I would say go for it.....could produce some interesting results?

I would do a bit of research before starting, there are some basic blending guides. for example if you like to drink espresso I would stay away from the likes of Colombian, Costa Rica,Kenya, Yemen as they are all quite acidic and blending them would not produce great results.

blending the likes of Brazilian, Mexican with the likes of coffee from Sumatra, Ethiopia or maybe India should produce better results, less acidic....smoother to drink.
    This is a real rough guide based on drinking espresso, if you were looking to blend for milk based drinks the coffee variety would change again.
    The bottom line with Blending is you are looking to produce a specific taste, just try have a goal rather than just blending 2 different beans for the sake of it!

Advertisement