Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEF urls , caching and db performance

Options
  • 13-05-2007 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

hi

im creating a website with lots of different components eg blog/groups/forums etc - all these will be custom components
    however i want all urls to be sef which i can do no problems and i can also cache the sef link creation process (which requires a db call every time the link is displayed)
    however my question is around performance - here are my two scenarios

save all urls in one db and cache the call to that db - (problem here is even though its cached if the db grows to thounsands + thounsands of entries even the fact that the link construction call will be called for exampel once an hour) - might those calls be very very inefficient ??

other option is how i have done it up until now- on calling the link creation function - call the related component table , for example call for the title for the related blog and create the url from that - this process only calls to the blog table which will not have thousands and thousands of entries

question : would the performance on the first process really be that bad?

tnx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

why do you have to do the catching? can you not just use .htaccess to rewrite url's?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

louie wrote:
    why do you have to do the catching? can you not just use .htaccess to rewrite url's?

cos i want them fully sef friendly - ie if the title of the blog is 'I took my dog for a walk in dublin' then the url will be

I_took_my_dog_for_a_walk_in_dublin.html

not too sure htaccess can do that ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

that's exactly what you can do with rewrite url using .htacces

have a look at this forum url:
    http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/coding-help/1908-php-image-display-problem.html

the tread is called "php images display problem"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Caching is a good idea, as it saves on server and DB load

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Kudos

blacknight wrote:
    Caching is a good idea, as it saves on server and DB load

The way he plans it the server will choke once an hour.

Concentrate on getting mod_rewrite working first. It sounds to me like the caching was just a happy side effect of your sef urls, if you still need it let us know.

I use http://www.ilovejackdaniels.com/mod_rewrite_cheat_sheet.png on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
Advertisement