Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Cassette, derailer and chain?

Options
  • 13-05-2007 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, the cassette on my hardrock's completely knackered. skipping all over the place, the 8th ring's come loose and completely detached from the cassette and the whole thing's just completely gone. To add insult to injury, the derailer took a knock a while ago and it's seen its day too. So does anyone know how difficult it is to replace these parts?

I've found the cassette, chain and rear mech on cyclesuperstore.ie. What tools would i need? Chainwhip/chain breaker/freewheel remover? I've looked at the guides on parktool and it doesn't seem too difficult. Would i be better to just get it done in cycleways? I'd really like to be able to repair this part of the bike myself so i can again in the future.

I don't mind paying a fair whack for the tools, once i have them that's fine, i'll have them forever.

Help's much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

It's simple with the correct tools. I take my cassette off the whole time to clean it. You need a lock ring tool, a chain whip, a spanner to unscrew the lockring, a chain breaker for the chain. Derailleurs are usually allen-key bolts.
    I find park tools to be of good quality.

When getting a new chain, look at sachs, these come with a 'power-link' which allows you to break the chain by hand - dunk it in a jam-jar of white spirit to clean it.

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=4&item=FR%2D1
    http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=4&item=SR%2D1
    http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=5&item=CT%2D3 (this model is probably excessive)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If you buy stuff from them, most bike shops will fit for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

If you are going to replace the chain as well (cassette and chain should be replaced simultaniously) and if you have a vice then you should be able to get the old cassette off by creating a loop and clamping the ends of the chain in the vice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

I priced the job in cycleways, and parts and labour come to 100 quid. He said a new cassette'd be €32, chain €6, derailler €32, labour €30. So i guess i have €30 to spend on tools to break even, but i don't mind spending a few quid if i'll get use out of them.

It'd be great for maintenance to be able to take the chain and cassette off for cleaning, so i think i'll go for it.

http://www.cycleways.com/store/product/11842/Cyclo-Chain-Rivet-Extractor/

Would that be a good substitute for the "excessive" tool above?

I was also thinking of chainging the biggest chainring up front to a 53tooth for some more top speed. I ALWAYS run out of gears! I'm getting a new road bike in july for triathlons when my summer job's paid me enough:D, but i'd like some more in the mean time. It'd just be a big jump up from the middle chain ring yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

cunnins4 wrote:
    I priced the job in cycleways, and parts and labour come to 100 quid. He said a new cassette'd be €32, chain €6, derailler €32, labour €30. So i guess i have €30 to spend on tools to break even, but i don't mind spending a few quid if i'll get use out of them.

It'd be great for maintenance to be able to take the chain and cassette off for cleaning, so i think i'll go for it.

http://www.cycleways.com/store/product/11842/Cyclo-Chain-Rivet-Extractor/

Would that be a good substitute for the "excessive" tool above?

I was also thinking of chainging the biggest chainring up front to a 53tooth for some more top speed. I ALWAYS run out of gears! I'm getting a new road bike in july for triathlons when my summer job's paid me enough:D, but i'd like some more in the mean time. It'd just be a big jump up from the middle chain ring yeah?
    Even if you go for the sachs/sram chain you will need one of these. But the ability to remove the chain for cleaning is great. I would say that €10 for the chain removal tool would be enough. I got this one :
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1625
    and it works very well.

I have found it is better to spend an extra few quid on getting good tools because they last much longer.

There are a lot of sites on the web that will guide you through doing what you want to do, and if you run into problems sure you can always ask here!

R

• Advertisement

cheers for the helpful replies. One last question, would a 52tooth chainring fit a mtb? i'm gonna order a few bits online in the morning, and i wanna know if that'd work?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

cunnins4 wrote:
    cheers for the helpful replies. One last question, would a 52tooth chainring fit a mtb?

Many MTB or Hybrid style bikes have 22/32/42 chainrings in combination with a 7 speed cassette. First make sure that you can actually replace the chain rings (they may be rivited together). 53 teeth chain rings are usually sized for 9 or 10 speed cassettes found on road bikes, these use narrower chains.

Also consider that a 22/32/53 combination means that there can be a LOT of slack to take up, you'd need to lengthen the chain which realistically can only be done by replacing it, chain and cassette should always be changed together, so you'd need to change the cassette as well. But even then your rear derailer may not be able to handle the amount of slack that such a configuration can produce.

Ordered my parts on wed from chainreaction, arrived this morning surprisingly enough (saturday post?) Got the cassette, derailer and chain fitted in no time. The teeth on my old derailer were worn down to sharp, pointy things! So worn out. I got the SRam chain with the split link-feckin deadly! So much more convenient, i can clean it so much easier now. The old cassette was so wrecked i didn't even need the chain whip, it just fell off! Had a few other things to fix and got a flat on the way home from work before fitting them. So i got it all done including fixing the puncture in less than an hour and half. Happy days, now i've the tools to do it again, and i can maintain the cassette and chain much better.

Cheers for the advice lads. My bike is back to its former self, absolutely chuffed. It was in rag order before!

Advertisement