Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work Uniform

• 13-05-2007 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭

Oh God! I just got offered a job in a hotel doing reception but the catch is that the uniform is a navy trouser suit and a pink shirt. Just bought it today and I could nearly cry. It's hideous! I'm only 21 and it makes me look about 45.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get me to convince the managers to change it to black? Either that or just share some sympathy with me and tell me about the worst uniform you've ever had. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Well seeing as you are only new in the job, I wouldnt advise you cause any hassle with management over your uniform. Could you buy a trouser suit with a better cut such as a slimline jacket and bootcut trousers or maybe wear your hair differently to enhance your youth!

I will share with you the worst uniform I ever wore - in Bewleys and it looked something like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Lol. Well it'd be better than what I'm stuck with! The shape of it isn't too bad but it's the shoulder pads that are really getting me down! I think it looks a bit better when I wear my hair down so that's ok.

I mean I know it's just for work and all that but still. When I look good I feel better. Maybe I'll see if feeling better makes me look good! Could work!

I bought a really cool pair of bell bottoms to cheer myself up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Where do you work so we can come and laugh at you? :) Ah working with a hideous uniform is part of growing up, wat bout those poor lepers at eddie rockets?

Where do you work so we can come and laugh at you? :) Ah working with a hideous uniform is part of growing up, wat bout those poor lepers at eddie rockets?

Yeah, I guess it could always be worse!

However, those people knew what they were getting into. I assumed I could just wear black trousers and a shirt of my choice. They only mentioned the uniform after I accepted the job! Sneaky bastards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The most important thing to wear is a smile :)

haha ehh yea sounds like ur pretty screwed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Well at least you didn't have to wear a purple shirt with "Open 24 Hours" on the back á la Leisureplex!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i work in spar!my uniforms wayyyyy worse my jumper is xxl and makes me look obese,im a size 8-10!no ones uniforms there fits

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Can you cut out the shoulder pads? Or would that ruin the shoulders?

Can't say I've ever had bad uniforms. One summer I worked in a summer camp in Spain and they only gave us one T-shirt to wear for the entire 5 weeks. We continuously asked for another, but they wouldn't give them to us. We regularly went mountain climbing in 30+ plus heat, so they got pretty manky! I think we could only wash them once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Faith wrote:
    Can you cut out the shoulder pads? Or would that ruin the shoulders?

Can't say I've ever had bad uniforms. One summer I worked in a summer camp in Spain and they only gave us one T-shirt to wear for the entire 5 weeks. We continuously asked for another, but they wouldn't give them to us. We regularly went mountain climbing in 30+ plus heat, so they got pretty manky! I think we could only wash them once a week.
    yeah i only got one t shirt since i started,i started last october and i still have the same one,its manky but im not allowed another:(it even comes out of my wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Nightwish wrote:
    I will share with you the worst uniform I ever wore - in Bewleys and it looked something like this.
    there is something wrong with that? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Faith wrote:
    One summer I worked in a summer camp in Spain and they only gave us one T-shirt to wear for the entire 5 weeks. We continuously asked for another, but they wouldn't give them to us. We regularly went mountain climbing in 30+ plus heat, so they got pretty manky! I think we could only wash them once a week.
    Got a bright yellow tshirt whilst working in a pub/nightclub in Leixlip... and they gave me another one when I came in one day, and it was nearly gray.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Cremo wrote:
    there is something wrong with that? :cool:
    No, and I want to go to bewleys now.
    Ladyjudy, pictures of you in your uniform polease, to help. ;)

No, and I want to go to bewleys now.
    Ladyjudy, pictures of you in your uniform polease, to help. ;)

No way! May there never be a single moment of me wearing that uniform caught on camera!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Lady J,

Take your uniform to a good tailor/seamstress and get them to adjust and fit it for you. It will cost you a few euro but it will make a HUGE difference. Theres nothing worse putting on a yucky uniform and then trying to keep a positive outlook on your day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What hotel do you work in?

What hotel do you work in?
    I'll never tell! Nevaaaaaa!
    Rogueish wrote:
    Lady J,

Take your uniform to a good tailor/seamstress and get them to adjust and fit it for you. It will cost you a few euro but it will make a HUGE difference. Theres nothing worse putting on a yucky uniform and then trying to keep a positive outlook on your day.

It fits fine it's just the colour (and the shoulder pads!). I mean I'd look grand if it was black but navy and pink is just disgraceful!

What hotels do you not work in? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I think the TGI uniforms are the best. You know they get more badges the better they become at their job? It's like punishing their efforts. Poor little freaks. Braces and silly hats and stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 KimHumphrey

dont think id able to work in TGIs or the likes, state of them!!
    i work in a beauty salon, so ive a uniform as well, got them from Buttercups, real nice fit and colour thankfully!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I worked in a hotel back in the day as lounge staff, the skirt we had to wear was not pratical as it was a pencil skirt and quite hard to move it. The shirt was white collarless and not too bad. The worst bit though was the waistcoat. I had one that was too small and one that was too big.

Oh we were also supposed to only wear 10 denier tights in a room filled with wooden furniture that caught at them. After the first day and changing tights 3 times because of snags I switched to 40-60 denier tights so I could get more that one wear out of them.

I also worked in another place (popular tourist attraction) where the uniform was made of polyester, and the place was roasting in the summer, it was so icky to wear. Thankfully I never had to wear the trousers just the top. We were all so relieved when they ran a promotion that meant we got cotton t-shirts to wear promoting it. They felt soooo good!

• Advertisement
Advertisement