Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Six Months Beside England?

• 13-05-2007 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

Been living in England for college since Sept and quickly noticed that I had to seriously spend some cash to keep up, some ppl are just ridiculously style-conscious. But im only starting to notice certain trends I noticed last sept - short cropped styles for girls, indie looks for guys with emo hair, mens jeans around the arse with boxers exposed, patterned hoodies - only appearing now in Ireland. And blokes are still walking around with mohawks and skangers with mullets, it's like going back in time to at least six months ago.

Anyone else notice this? Is England just naturally setting the pace for us to follow or are they up-themselves spas?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Shock Horror! 6 whole months behind a fashion trend! Oh The Shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Lolz this sort of thing was true of the sixteenth century. Its recorded historical fact don't ya know. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Correction. Six months behind every fashion trend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Lads with jeans around their arses, boxers showing
    mullets
    emo

all seen in Dublin for the past 12 months :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

People who follow fashion trends = retarded.

How you even notice is beyond me.

• Advertisement

Seen in dublin, but certainly not common. I still see blokes with dyed mohawks and river island polo shirts with "South Central Champions 76" or "Team 69" on the back a lot more than I see that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

And blokes are still walking around with mohawks and skangers with mullets, it's like going back in time to at least six months ago...Anyone else notice this? Is England just naturally setting the pace for us to follow or are they up-themselves spas?
    It depends. Go 'oop north' in England and you'll find mullets abound. I haven't seen one in Ireland since I had my own cut off in 1991.

I suspect you're not from Dublin, speedboatchase?!?

Seen in dublin, but certainly not common. I still see blokes with dyed mohawks and river island polo shirts with "South Central Champions 76" or "Team 69" on the back a lot more than I see that

Maybe they like them?

I tend to find people who shop in RI dont tend to like anything fashion wise, they let the shop decide what they should like. Nah I live outside Dublin but was living oop North, near Leeds

Fair enough, wouldn't be my experience though. People I know who shop in RI buy bits and bobs that they like, rather than buying a rake of stuff once every season or twice a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

JC 2K3 wrote:

Why you even post on this forum is beyond me.

Regarding the thread topic, I haven't been to England in years, although I'm fairly certain noone I know follows trends that "originate" there. If anything, most of the trends followed are from the states, or other European countries, influenced by TV (mainly US Tv...who follows trends from "Coronation Street" and other such crap).

rb_ie wrote:
    Why you even post on this forum is beyond me.
    Fashion != Fashion Trends.
    I tend to find people who shop in RI dont tend to like anything fashion wise, they let the shop decide what they should like. Nah I live outside Dublin but was living oop North, near Leeds
    How is letting a shop decide what you should like any different than letting a trend decide what you should like?

How is letting a shop decide what you should like any different than letting a trend decide what you should like?

Cos one implies you've seeked out the trends themselves, keep yourself up to date on new designers etc rather than walking into a shop full of watered-down versions of said designers looks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

iv seen emo heads all around cork and dub for the last 12 months with jeans down around their ankles. as for the guys with the mohawk things they regularly wander around cork city thinking they the bees knees dont get that look on boys think they look so silly

Cos one implies you've seeked out the trends themselves, keep yourself up to date on new designers etc rather than walking into a shop full of watered-down versions of said designers looks
    Ok try this:

Why should we only like what the current designers have to offer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

JC 2K3 wrote:

i agree whats the point in spending loads of money on the newest trend when itl be out of fashion in a month or two

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Aye, OP, I've noticed it too. I wore a mini-skirt with a pair of black tights when I was home over Christmas and all my friends couldn't believe I was actually wearing black tights voluntarily.

"i agree whats the point in spending loads of money on the newest trend when itl be out of fashion in a month or two"

EVERYTHING at topman, RI etc is out of fashion after a month or two because they are last to latch onto current trends or fads because they take a pre-existing style, water it down and sell it slightly cheaper. What ive noticed from England is people shun high street clothes to an extent and have a more original style which is then copied over here 6months to a year from now.

When I first came back in Oct I told a few girl friends that the lasses in England all their hair chopped to less than shoulder length and they sounded freaked out. Now its May and at least 3 of them have got the length in the last two months - hence this post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 quarefellow

Well I'll be darned: In my young day (back when God himself was a gosson) you would count yourself lucky to have a donkey jacket that fitted and a sturdy pair o' hobnail boots.
    "Oh the man that wore the moleskins and the belt around his hips,
    He came from Tubberdaly and he lived inside "the kip" "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I dunno, boxers showing... I've seen that for years and I reckon the emo thing kicked off at the same time when all the emo bands became popular. The aul English/Irish music tastes seem rather similar when it comes to such marketed bands and as for River Island type stuff, alot of that is from English indie bands that were obviously floating around the UK before they became big enough to effect Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

i've seen plenty of people dress like that. but i do agree that dublin in like a mini london.

Advertisement