Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Have you seen your old car on the road since you sold it?

Options
  • 13-05-2007 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Just driving back into Limerick and spotted my Ford Focus I sold last Summer. Great to see it still in great nick.

Anyone else seen an ex-motor?

Cyrus and Junkyard, you guys must have seen 2 or 3 :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

after i sold my nissan sunny, i overtook it about two weeks later. Just sold my mondeo so im keepin my eye out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

I sold my 02 Toyota Avensis a few years back and have seen it twice - once on the motorway absolutely crawling along in the driving lane at about 40mph and then in a carpark.

Have also seen a Micra I once owned as well and my very first car - a VW Polo which I had scrapped and was then nearly ran off the road by a few weeks later being driven by a large traveller woman with about 5 kids in the back pulling out of a halting site!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've seen my old fiesta around a few times. It has picked up some of the dreaded "baby on board" signage and L-plates since I sold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I see at least three of my old cars all the time - my friends drive them!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Yep, seen my old car in Blackrock last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Seen my old 1989 Passat a few years after I sold it on - that was a few years ago mind and I haven't seen it since. That car was great for an upper body workout as it had no power steering. It handled like something Irish Ferries would have on fleet!

A teacher from my school had an old Nissan Bluebird and I still see it around :eek: Still original and the paint job looks brand new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I have seen 2 of my old cars as they leave near me.Now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Nordie

Seen my last Polo after 3 years, same old dent on the back and VW badge still missing

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I sold my last car to a friend so I get to see it every so often.
    Years ago my father had this thing for Fiats (!) and used to get them off the Tractamotors in Cavan. Anyhow he traded in a mirafiori (for another IIRC). About three years later it was bought by a neighbour!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

See the missus 01 A Class we sold last year fairly regularly, not surprising tho, she lives in Clondalkin as does th enew owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Sold my first car to a foreigner, saw it about 5 months later with a big gaping hole in the back bumper and it looked like it hadn't been cleaned since he bought it. Nearly brought a tear to my eye as I had loving washed it every weekend for 2 years :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Sold my first car to a friend so saw a lot of it 'til he wrote it off :( Traded in my 2nd one against a new car for my mum & spotted it a year later parked in Tralee, was still in reasonable shape apart from a broken rear bumper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Seen my 1st Carina (The one you sorted me out with Fletch) there the other week in Halfords in Coolock still looked mint

*tear*

Ah well i'm gettin' me third Carina II this friday all is not lost!!!

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Saw my 89 1.5 LE Limited XXX Corrolla (I kid you not, there was an XXX badge on it) about two months after it was traded. I still miss it, great car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've only seen an ex-car once. That said I've only sold one localy.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Volvoboy wrote:
    Seen my 1st Carina (The one you sorted me out with Fletch) there the other week in Halfords in Coolock still looked mint

*tear*

Ah well i'm gettin' me third Carina II this friday all is not lost!!!

-VB-

I think you should see a psychiatrist:D :D:D How many cars is that you've bough in the last 12 months??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

my mam had an old 205 gti a fair few years ago and sold it on after having a bit of a tip in it (nothing catastrophic, just couldnt be arsed fixing it as it would be less hassle to just buy another car),
    Then a few years later saw it on tv on the backof a truck having been in a fairly serious crash. it was on the news about a "new" scheme where they would have car wreaks on the side of the road to show what happens after a crash and the guy talking was going on about small fast cars driven by young men. Im sure it may have been crashed by young man but it made me laugh to think my mam used to own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Used to drive a Nissan Vanette as a company van. This thing had been run into the ground,had an engine change after it lost all it's oil on the M50 and just about seized up. Then the front right wheel parted company with the rest of the van due to a hub bearing failure or something like that. Scary when you're the one driving it.
    After all this it came the time to trade it in on those scrapage deals that the car dealers were doing.
    Nice new Citroen Berlingo to drive and the Nissan death trap confined to the scrap heap. Or so I thought,about six months later saw the blue bucket driving along the M50. Felt like getting the bloke to pull over and let him know the history of the thing he was driving around in and that it should be a square block of metal by now.
    Also saw my Saxo VTS around but I sorta knew the chap a sold it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

my first new car, a I06, I saw a few times since I sold it in 0I but with hub caps you buy in an accessories shop. I had keep it spotless since I got it.
    However I dont think any of its owners know that it had been rammed by a tractor six months after I bought it. The hatchback would never close properly even after the repair. I then bought a new Yaris and I made it look like a Japanese import by changing the badges from yaris to Vitz and fitting a bonnet emblem in place of the toyota emblem on the bonnet plus fitting 4 weathershields over each door. Ive since seen it and all the badges are replaced and there are only 2 weathershields over each front door as the two rear ones were smaller....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I've seen loads of mine over the years, I usually keep my cars very well but most of the new owners don't seem too concerned which is a pity really.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

junkyard wrote:
    I've seen loads of mine over the years, I usually keep my cars very well but most of the new owners don't seem too concerned which is a pity really.:(
    Thats life, you take pride and joy with your cars whereas others wont wash the bloody car for years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

sisters first car was a 106, about a month after she traded it in, two gardai call at the door, it was stolen and involved in a major crash in tallaght, she was still registered as the driver. didnt get to actually see the car but it's the closest i've come to seeing an old car after selling...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 deekme

i had a 01 bmw coupe british reg as i am scottish living in ireland. I took it to get serviced and was told that the door was going to fall of in about 6 months and was going to cost me E1500 for a new door so seen as there was a baby on the way i took it back to scotland to trade it in and got me a new 4 door family car.

I was driving home from a weekend away with the pregnant missus and saw my car outside a house just outside limerick so i stopped and chapped the door and told the guy that it was my old car and to get the door fixed properly before his warrenty ran out.

And yes the door was still the way i had left it cause no-one had noticed it.

forgot to tell him about the unpaid speeding ticket i had on it mind.
    wonder if he ever declared it with the revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I traded in a '97 Mazda 626 to a garage in south dublin about 3 years ago.
    About 6 months ago, was about to get into a taxi outside Hueston station, glanced down the queue, and saw my old car now running as a taxi! So, I waited for this car instead. Had a good chat with the driver, there was 66k more miles on it since I had it. Still looked good, and ran perfect.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Stephen wrote:
    I've seen my old fiesta around a few times. It has picked up some of the dreaded "baby on board" signage and L-plates since I sold it.

I've seen one of mine, and it had pink furry dice hanging from the rear view mirror. I felt like torching it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Saw our old 93 Corsa last year which had been in the family for 12 years. Perfect condition when we sold it, now the old girl has a big dint in the front and 3/4 hub caps missing, :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭Archeron

I seen my boootiful 87 Corolla upside down in an abandonded scrap yard on the Naas Road. That made me sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

my first car was a 91 white starlet 3dr i sold her to an evil man in whest kerry and have never seen her since. i lost me virginity in her. id gladly buy her back if i could find her now she was some wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I've seen my first car, a Mazda 323 I sold about four years ago in the midlands, around Palmerstown a few times, with two solemn looking arab guys in it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

id gladly buy her back if i could find her now she was some wagon
    The girl you lost your flower to?

Advertisement