Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

well done west ham

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

how can they only tear up that part of the contract?

Maybe they used tipex :p. At the time the whole deal sounded very dodgy and it seems those suspicions have been born out by recent events. The whole issue of 3rd party ovnership need to be sorted out by FIFA because if it become more prevelant I think it will would be a very bad development for football. There are enough dodgy transfers / agents around already without adding another layer of corrupt companies (probably registered in the cayman islands or somewhere similar) into the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's gives teams some big advantages though.

United against Everton and Watford this season was a lot easier because they had to play their weaker keeper. That said, Foster and Howard in goal for them wouldn't have been better, as Fergie could easily put some pressure on them to **** up, essentially fixing the match. You can't have that sorta question hanging over them, so I think it's only appropriate.

That said, the real problem with the loan systtem is that, if you loan more good players out, you essentially make it harder for everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PHB wrote:
    It's gives teams some big advantages though.

United against Everton and Watford this season was a lot easier because they had to play their weaker keeper. That said, Foster and Howard in goal for them wouldn't have been better, as Fergie could easily put some pressure on them to **** up, essentially fixing the match. You can't have that sorta question hanging over them, so I think it's only appropriate.

That said, the real problem with the loan systtem is that, if you loan more good players out, you essentially make it harder for everyone else.
    Exactly, can you imagine if Howard had dropped the ball turner style, or if it had been van der saar scoring on foster instead of Robinson for Spurs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

West Ham aren't out of the woods just yet. Looks like Sepp and his buddies are going to take a look at this mess.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6657697.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Awesome, FIFA are going to investigate possible scandal and corruption. What do you reckon, FIFA get a slice of the 5.5, or a subtle backhander?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Tauren wrote:
    Awesome, FIFA are going to investigate possible scandal and corruption. What do you reckon, FIFA get a slice of the 5.5, or a subtle backhander?

yeah , he'd be hoping for a nice little retirement payment , the FAI should offer him a job -- he could do with another blazer !

Dave Whelan is on the warpath again in his mission to get West Ham relegated -- a couple of questions

if there was 19 other Wigan clones in the Premiership would any one watch it ? whenever they are on Match of the Day , i'm off to the kitchen/fridge ..
    I would much rather watching Tevez and Mascherano , than the has beens down at Wigan -- Unsworth , Kilbane etc .
    is anyone else sick of his tirade against West Ham , i hope that his greatest real fear actually comes true , and they go down to where they belong in the lower leagues , amongst Plymouth , Walsall and Orient.

p.s.. does anyone actually know any Wigan supporters ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

No i dont know any Wigan supporters, but what relevance does that have!?
    also dont know any supporters of Fulham,Sheffield UTD,Bolton,Reading,Birmingham, proper sunderland fans (as opposed to Keanites), Charlton, Middlesborough - should they not have any opinions? Or should we just set up a league for Liverpool, United, Arsenal and Chelsea only?!

your point is nonsense

Wigan provide a lot of entertainment in the premiership and have been involved in some excellent games since they came up. Whelan is just standing up for what he believes in and he is dead right IMO.

West Hams punishment is unaccceptable, they had to be deducted points. And to make matters even worse, Its not even entirely clear whether Tevez should even be playing for them now.

I hope they get a points deduction on appeal and are relegated.

your point is nonsense

Wigan provide a lot of entertainment in the premiership and have been involved in some excellent games since they came up. .

you must be easily entertained

• Advertisement

Wigan Vs Spurs and Wigan Vs Arsenal this year were two of the best games i saw all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

thebaz wrote:
    you must be easily entertained

You must have a short memory...

Wigan finished one place below West Ham last season, and scored a last minute winner at Highbury to advance to the Carling Cup final, having beaten Bolton and Newcastle along the way.

This year has not been as good, but then the likes of Fuham, Boro, and City have hardly set the world on fire...

You must have a short memory...

Wigan finished one place below West Ham last season, and scored a last minute winner at Highbury to advance to the Carling Cup final, having beaten Bolton and Newcastle along the way.

This year has not been as good, but then the likes of Fuham, Boro, and City have hardly set the world on fire...

would you sit in and watch Wigan v Bolton or Watford or Sheff Utd ??

i know i wouldn't and i don't think the tv money is being paid for the entertaiment served up by Wigan , theyve hit the jackpot , and are now behaing purely out of greed IMO ....
    where was Whelans loyalty to Dave Unsworth ?

Wat are you talking about!?!??! Unsworth plays for Wigan!

And how is Whelan being greedy?! Either way they get the money cause they stayed up!

You are aware of the three teams relegated? Sheff Utd, Charlton and Watford.

You could give Whelan a hard time if he was moaning about it, then they stayed up and he shut up. Then maybe it would just have been sour grapes, but he is speaking out becasue he thinks the PL has wronged the league by letting off West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

thebaz wrote:

Whereas Fulham v Villa or Boro v Man City would be any better? If anyone is honest, other than their own side there are few sides people would sit down to watch in the PL.
    thebaz wrote:
    i know i wouldn't and i don't think the tv money is being paid for the entertaiment served up by Wigan , theyve hit the jackpot , and are now behaing purely out of greed IMO ....

The TV money is being paid for access to the top sides in the PL, the big 4 plus one or two others...collective bargaining means all 20 sides in the PL are featured.

As for greed? Haven't Wigan survived? :confused:

Wat are you talking about!?!??! Unsworth plays for Wigan!

And how is Whelan being greedy?! Either way they get the money cause they stayed up!

You are aware of the three teams relegated? Sheff Utd, Charlton and Watford.

maybe you shouldn't be so quick to shoot your mouth off
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=467118&CPID=8&clid=111&lid=2&title=Latics+release+Unsworth&channel=football_home&

You believe Sky/Setanta and all the tv companies are shelling out that money to show the likes of Wigan , dream on .. Wigan lucked out by getting promoted at the right time .. and Whelan who is a shrewd business is just just ensuring he maximises his lot by supposedly fighting for the underdog, and then axing Unsworth , who kept them in the premiership ... sure the other premiership chairmen are ruthless businessmen , but at least there not coming across like florence nightingale

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote:
    maybe you shouldn't be so quick to shoot your mouth off
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=467118&CPID=8&clid=111&lid=2&title=Latics+release+Unsworth&channel=football_home&

You believe Sky/Setanta and all the tv companies are shelling out that money to show the likes of Wigan , dream on .. Wigan lucked out by getting promoted at the right time .. and Whelan who is a shrewd business is just just ensuring he maximises his lot by supposedly fighting for the underdog, and then axing Unsworth , who kept them in the premiership ... sure the other premiership chairmen are ruthless businessmen , but at least there not coming across like florence nightingale

Cant view that link, silly work limited internet access.

But i presume its something along the lines of Wigan not renewing Unsworths contract or they are letting him go?! not sure, but if that is the case i don't see how that makes Whelan a bad bloke or hypocrite . . . in actualy fact it has no bearing on the West Ham situation and his views on it.

Neither does it effect you ridiculous comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Its not up to Whelan which players stay and go. The manager has that decision and obviously he thought he was surplus to requirements for the coming season.

Whelan has every right to bitch about the premier leagues decision on West Ham. It has nothing to do with the "quality" of football played by wigan or west ham. If west ham broke the rules they should have been docked points. The premier league still have not convinced whelan that Tevez was legal after the tribunals decision. All the premier league received was a letter from west ham saying the third party contract was torn up. Doesnt mean it actually was.

If arbitration finds that west ham and the premier league have not proven that Tevez was a legitamite player after the tribunal decision then west ham are in big trouble and chances are FIFA will get involved and it would most likely end up with relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

or...maybe hey'll be docked point as of the start of next season Serie A-styley!

Neither does it effect you ridiculous comments.

maybe you should be carefull terming my comments ridiculous ,
    when you arrogantly post the following
    "Wat are you talking about!?!??! Unsworth plays for Wigan!"

or...maybe hey'll be docked point as of the start of next season Serie A-styley!

If that was to happen i would LOVE to see how mad the people at Sheffield United go!

Don't think it could happen though, it would end with with Sheffield UTD being punished because the PL didn't have the balls to punish west ham right the first time - thats not fair in anyones book.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i think the whole of west ham were gob****es this season. fair play for staying up and all and being the most in form team in the PL for the last 7 games, but this was a club who had 3 players in rehab for gambling addiction, anton ferdinand and another player (forget who) dont know which is the father of this girls baby. players sometimes would show up to matches after having just lost £40,000 on the team bus gambling. the chairman would only talk to the players he signed. the "cool" gang of reo-coker, harewood & ferdinand wouldnt talk to any of the other team (n1 captain asshole). then coker comes out in an interview to the bbc after the UTD game saying in not so many words how alot to do with their comeback and survival was down to him.pr1ck.

imo, they should have gone down as they were by far and away, the a$$hole team of the season. i liked west ham in the previous season, but they were just such a shambles this season... oh and not forgetting the Carlito transfer debacle.

they did give pool mascherano tho :)
    cheers for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

thebaz wrote:
    Dave Whelan is on the warpath again in his mission to get West Ham relegated -- a couple of questions

if there was 19 other Wigan clones in the Premiership would any one watch it ? whenever they are on Match of the Day , i'm off to the kitchen/fridge ..

I take it your off to the kitchen for pretty much every other team thats on MOTD aswell.
    thebaz wrote:
    I would much rather watching Tevez and Mascherano , than the has beens down at Wigan -- Unsworth , Kilbane etc .

Considering your abusing someone for not knowing that Unsworth was realised by Wigan today i find comical that you include Mascherano in your list as reasons to watch West ham. :D
    thebaz wrote:
    is anyone else sick of his tirade against West Ham , i hope that his greatest real fear actually comes true , and they go down to where they belong in the lower leagues , amongst Plymouth , Walsall and Orient.

Did wigan lose you alot of money this season or something? :confused: Also, i dont know anyone that supporters West ham, immediate relegation then!!
    thebaz wrote:

where was Whelans loyalty to Dave Unsworth ?

You do realise Wigan scored more goals this season then West ham yea? Or is it the Master class in defending provided by Christian Daily that has you so entertained by West ham matches? What the hell does Whelan have to be loyal to Unsworth? Where was West hams loyalty to Alan Pardew?

thebaz wrote:

You think they shelling out the money for West ham? Get real. West ham also lucked out by getting promoted and the right time, and decided to cheat to keep themselves in the premiership because it's shrewd business practice.

So Unsworth kept them in the premiership? Earlier in this thread you harp on about how West ham stayed up becuase they won the points over 38 games, but now that it's Wigan, they only stay up because of one pentaly scored by David Unsworth? Nice logic.

I take it your off to the kitchen for pretty much every other team thats on MOTD aswell.

Considering your abusing someone for not knowing that Unsworth was realised by Wigan today i find comical that you include Mascherano in your list as reasons to watch West ham. :D

Nice logic.

Yeah , over the years West Ham have been one of the few teams in the PL, along with Spurs , Arsenal , Man U., even Reading i have enjoyed watching .. i'd much rather watching rugby , cricket GAA, eircom league than enduring Wigan, Sheff Utd., Watford .. (i'm sure if i didn't support everton, i'd throw them in as well !!)

I only reacted to the Unsworth comment , cause i fealt previous comments were a bit abusive to me

I still stand by my belief that Dave Whelan motives are down to his own personal greed.

if you felt my comments to a tab abusive to you, sorry.

i just dont get where the west ham situation involves Whelans greed?! he is not really of any personal benefit if they stay up or go down is he?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

How are they for his own personal greed? His club are in the premiership. They wont be losing any money. Im sure he would have went ahead with his actions even if west ham went down because he feels there are things being covered up and glossed over by west ham and the premier league.

IMO his motives are for the good of the premier league. It is vital that all information and documents are out in the open and then we will see if West Ham cheated before and after the tribunal, if the premier league were weak in the punishment and if they should have points deducted. This will also stop any other clubs trying to sign these types of players who are effectively owned by a third party company or group of companies.

Advertisement