Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What plants to get for pond

Options
  • 13-05-2007 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I,ve just got a new pond built about 6' x 8' with a little waterfall . I have some goldfish and a few plants in it but it is looking a bit bare around the edges. I wonder could anyone give me any advice as to what plants to get both inside and out of the water. I would like to disguise some of the brickwork and also entice some wildlife into the pond. ANy help greatly appreciated.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm looking into this myself. I've found out that you have to be careful to select plants that will keep the oxygen balance right in the pond.

I find this site quite helpful for most gardening questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have just created a pond out of a large pot! so my surface area is very modest (about 2 ft in diameter). Because I knew nothing about water plants I decided to play safe (miniature lilies are €40 at my local garden centre) and get a few inexpensive plants to practise with. So for my tiny area I got an iris (which is now in flower), a golden flowered kingcup(? thats what it looks like), a red salvia and an oxygenating plant which has tiny round leaves and a tiny starry white flower (can't remember its name) They were €2.99 each. I repotted them with special pond soil into basket pots and put them propped up in the water till they got established and I am gradually moving them down into more depth. They are going like mad (I put them in at Easter) apart for the salvia which is growing but more slowly. The kingcup and the little white one have just about covered the surface of the pot. I have now got a water lily - I don't think its a true miniature, (€12) though it claims to be small - which i have put in another pot and two weeks later its looking very happy. I think I need a pond.....:)

Advertisement