Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My car and junkies.

Options
  • 13-05-2007 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

I park my car in an underground car park attaching my apartment block.

As a result of at least 2 bouts of car break ins, we are getting camera's etc, installed.

twice the smallest window to the rear on my car has been smashed to allow access to the car, which has then been ransacked. Nothing taken, because I don't leave much in the car. I'm considering leaving it unlocked for them to establish it being worthless to them, and not having to pay for the repairs.

I'm soon due to change car, and when I do I'd rather present a less appetising option for the junkies. I'm presuming the theft of the car itself is not their ambition?

Do I simply have a conspicuous alarm system?

The bloke who repaired my window says he has a film like material which can be placed on the windows to prevent access for them even if they break. I'd get some satisfaction from frustrating them, but obviously would much prefer not having to got the hassle and expense of semi frequent window replacement.

So how do I junkie proof my car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

An alarm usually puts them off as it makes noise.
    Don't leave anything in sight even if is an empty bag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

keep a very angry rottweiler in your back seat at all times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Nytfevr

If they're junkies they probably won't take much notice of security cameras. If you're putting a film on the window then these junkies may think there's something of value inside/or like the challenge of breaking it (they are knackers like). Now you've a few options. 1. Invest in a rottweiler. 2. Invest in a set of drivers. 3. Pimp up your car so it looks like you're some kind of uber drug dealer as in golfclubs with ketchup smeared on them lying openly on the back seat and various parafinalia like that 4. You can get a sensor that beeps when somebody walks near the vicinity of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Mordeth wrote:

I remember the story my grandfather tells.

Fella drives up from Tipp for Croke Park match, very tight fisted man, so sleeps in the car overnight. Preparing to leave car to head to match when he is approached by a local youth, who offers to look after the car until his return.

Tipp man says no need, the dog will look after the car for two hours. Young fellah pauses, before asking whether the dog can put out fires.

true story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

lol that's a good story

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Mordeth wrote:

Thats a good one but he will eat the car seats :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Nordie

louie wrote:
    An alarm usually puts them off as it makes noise.
    Don't leave anything in sight even if is an empty bag.

I agree here, a sensor alarm would be the best option.

Is it only your car or do others have the same problem?

several cars have been 'done' each time afaik. Whilst moves are been made to make the car park less attractive to them, I want to make my car less attractive relative to the rest.

In which context an alarm would make them have to quit the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

uberwolf wrote:
    several cars have been 'done' each time afaik. Whilst moves are been made to make the car park less attractive to them, I want to make my car less attractive relative to the rest.

In which context an alarm would make them have to quit the car park.

Would it not be a better investment to junkie proof the carpark as a whole??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I'd agree with Nytfevr and ninty9er. Junkies won't be put off by alarms, esp in a secluded car park. Try to secure the car park a bit better... get the management company to do something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

uberwolf wrote:
    I remember the story my grandfather tells.

Fella drives up from Tipp for Croke Park match, very tight fisted man, so sleeps in the car overnight. Preparing to leave car to head to match when he is approached by a local youth, who offers to look after the car until his return.

Tipp man says no need, the dog will look after the car for two hours. Young fellah pauses, before asking whether the dog can put out fires.

true story.

Good one, but it's an urban myth. An old one at that - Syl Fox used to tell it as a joke, and he's well into his 70's! In his version, the car was parked on Sherrif Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Get a dual-zone alarm with a microwave sensor - it'll chirp if anyone enters its warning-zone, and go off fully if the warning-zone isn't cleared after a while, or if the full-alarm-zone is entered.

Microwave is good that way - much better than ultrasonic, it creates a very precise "zone". I have mine set about 2 inches outside the windows of the car, so anyone looking into it makes it chirp. Most people move on when they hear that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think the only satisfying solution would be a James Bond style alarm for his Lotus Esprit in "The Spy Who Loved Me".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

There is nothing you can do to stop them.

I have had my car broken into and the thieves simply opened the bonnet and disconnected the battery to stop the alarm. This was in an underground car park in Charlotte's Quay. In doing so, they got their hands covered in dirt and oil and left fingerprints up the side of the car. Nevertheless, the Gardai would not come out to look at it because "anyone could have been walking past with dirty hands and touched the car".

My next car, they seemed very adept in forcing down the window and not doing any damage, bless them. They seemed to have all the time in the world, given that they smoked a spliff in there. This happened maybe four times in an underground car park on Abbey Street, near Capel Street. I used to come down to it, see that the back seat had been pulled forward to gain access to the boot, know there was nothing to steal and say to myself "oh, the car thieves have been here again".

It is just Dublin. That is what you have to put up with if you want to live here. The car thieves will keep doing it unchallenged and the Gardai will do nothing about it. There is a massive drugs problem and the system is not doing enough to prevent it or help the junkies.

The only solution is to either move out to the sticks, as I have done, or else sell your car.

Beware if you leave it open for them. They could get in and slash the seats or set fire to it and then the insurance assessor could pick up on it and not pay out because it was not properly secured.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭fits

How about leaving the glovebox open to show there is nothing in it.... Leave absolutely nothing in the car.
    It might help. Its a bit of a pain though.. I'd say your only other option is to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

You're right about them having all the time in the world. I locked my keys into my car in the muti-storey on the corner of Marlborough St and Cathal Brugha and I had to break into it there and then. Took me a while to do as I knew how to do it, but I'd never had to actually do it before. No-one came next or near me and I was able to drive the car out unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As others have said, get onto the management company to secure the car park as opposed to overly securing your car. If they can get into the car park and break into several cars without any challenge then if your car is too secure they could just burn it or do more damage then break a window.

How are they getting into the car park? Are the entrances being left open, gates not closing. You'd be better off getting onto the management company to secure the car park instead of spending your own money on extra car security. If you can't get anywhere with the management company take everything outta your car and leave the glove box and any cubby holes open so they can see theres nothing in the car.

Then just pray.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Methinks set up a little vigilante gang, catch the first few and when ya do so,
    hang em from the entrance by their necks for all to see.. might put a few
    junkies off, or else they may just rob em and then come back and rob your
    cars.. :D

Seriously though, the management company is responsible for these carparks
    and the building in general.. I know that they put up signs saying that they are
    not responsible for damage to vehicles etc but not only is it the damage to your
    cars that the problem, its personal safety too..

Imagine someone who challenges scumbag robbing their car.. chances are they
    are gonna come off worse and if its a woman challenging them, I wouldn't like to
    think of what could happen there..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

We have had problems with people breaking into our cars here in Dundalk so its not just a big smoke thing.
    I live on very central street and my last car (bravo) was broken into twice and then when I had an alarm installed they stopped. My brothers old car (punto) and mothers car (micra) were both broken into and my fathers old car (audi) was broken into numerous times.
    The guards can/will do nothing and the only thing that seems to have deterred the thieves around my area was to install very visible alarms systems as they don't seems to bother when they can see an alarm...

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

If you have comp insurance cover window replacement is generally covered and does not effect your NCB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There is nothing you can do to stop them.

I have had my car broken into and the thieves simply opened the bonnet and disconnected the battery to stop the alarm. This was in an underground car park in Charlotte's Quay. In doing so, they got their hands covered in dirt and oil and left fingerprints up the side of the car. Nevertheless, the Gardai would not come out to look at it because "anyone could have been walking past with dirty hands and touched the car".

I think its a bit odd here!

I've often parked my car in evening times right outside Charlotte Quay apts on Ringsend Road, across the road on Barrow Street and on Grand Canal Street.

*Touchwood*, i've never had a problem nor has had Mrs Gurramok who lives near there with her car nor the more expensive ones parked on the streets as far as i know.

My theory is that the scummers reckon that anyone parking in an underground carpark are easy pickings as its harder to detect a break-in underground in contrast to on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Leave an ipod, mobile phone and a wad of cash on the seat, then lie in wait with a shotgun... if Padraig Nally can do it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

There is absolutely nothing you can do about this except change where you park your car or move. They will break into your car on the off chance that you left a few quid in the ashtray.
    There not worried about getting caught and why would they be? The Guards attitude is that they'll call you if a cars found somewhere (and your not guaranteed they'll even do that).
    Car theft doesn't even get taken seriously in this country so why would they worry about being caught breaking in.

the management company are working towards securing the car park better. Monitored cameras are going to be installed.

My junkie behavioural analysis (TM) leads me to believe that they aren't interested in robbing the car, and are only after something to flog, to score.

An alarm going off is going to make it less comfortable environment for them to continue their work on the other cars. So having an alarm means they pick easier prey?

Ever here of an alarm that beeps your fob, up in the apartment so me and the brother and the baseball bats can stroll down?

Half the bother has been having to pay for the repair, as the insurance doesn't cover it. They even locked the car after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Any 240v sockets near your car ?
    I'd be inclined to hook up a MasterBlaster (most powerful siren available for burglar alarms, etc)

http://www.firesafe.co.uk/ProductDetails1.asp?pid=FK64

If the phuckers get too close to one of these things, it'll suck them in - they draw a lot of air :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

uberwolf wrote:
    the management company are working towards securing the car park better. Monitored cameras are going to be installed.

My junkie behavioural analysis (TM) leads me to believe that they aren't interested in robbing the car, and are only after something to flog, to score.

An alarm going off is going to make it less comfortable environment for them to continue their work on the other cars. So having an alarm means they pick easier prey?

Ever here of an alarm that beeps your fob, up in the apartment so me and the brother and the baseball bats can stroll down?

Half the bother has been having to pay for the repair, as the insurance doesn't cover it. They even locked the car after themselves.

Keep after the management company to secure the area, as the alarms that page when the go off are mostly based on ultrasonics and once it is going off in an underground car park and if you aren't on the ground floor I doubt it would reach you. The best way to keep the scumbags away from your car is too keep them out of the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

gurramok wrote:
    I think its a bit odd here!

I've often parked my car in evening times right outside Charlotte Quay apts on Ringsend Road, across the road on Barrow Street and on Grand Canal Street.

*Touchwood*, i've never had a problem nor has had Mrs Gurramok who lives near there with her car nor the more expensive ones parked on the streets as far as i know.

My theory is that the scummers reckon that anyone parking in an underground carpark are easy pickings as its harder to detect a break-in underground in contrast to on the street.

Thing was, the time in Charlottes Quay, it was a four year old Citroen Saxo. The only thing they got was a tent, worth about 50 euro brand new, but it had been used.

They bent the door frame out to get in to the car, ruining the door in the process, causing about 500 punts worth of damage.

The only reasons why I can think why that car was targeted was because it had Northern plates or else they knew the door on a Saxo would give way.

If I had come upon them, I would have beaten them senseless. At least I would have tried. Which probably would have ended up either with me in custody or else them beating me up more severely. But I was so annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

I've had to break into my car in the car park at my apartment too... Got a few funny looks, but nothing was said. Locked the apartment keys and all into the damn thing so couldn't even get a coat hanger...

I am quite proud of the fact though that I managed to break in using nothing other than the aerial unscrewed from the roof and a lot of patience ;)

A good alarm shouldn't stop sounding because the battery's been disconnected. I transferred my alarm from another car, and had to put up with the bare siren sounding away while I was installing it in the other car! Basically, you can cut every single alarm cable in the car and it'll still sound :)

Advertisement