Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird msg received this morning

• 13-05-2007 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭

Hey (apologies if this is the wrong forum, feel free to move it if necessary)

I received a msg on my phone this morning saying connect for 1000 free msgs now - so after I opened the msg a list of optinos came up - connect, cancel, and load I think...I selected cancel - not knowing what the hell it was.

The annoying thing is I've got a msg symbol with an @ sin over it stuck in the main screen of my phone (as if to indicate an unread msg). But the msg in't in my inbox, nor are there any unread msgs in my inbox. Wtf?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

I would think its some scam thingy or a subscribtion text

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

it sounds like a push message
    what handset have you got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Which network are you on ?

O2 have a bit of a history of sending out messages with offers that look highly dodgy and I have assumed were scams before.

If it's from a premium rate number SMS number do not reply. I.e. if it's from anything starting with 52 through to 59.
    50 is free
    51 is standard rate sms.

I would suggest that you contact your mobile operator's helpdesk before taking up the offer as only your own provider could offer free SMS messages. If it's from anyone else it's a scam.

I would worry that it's likely to be very easy for scam artists, including those based outside the country, to start spamming ranges of mobile numbers in EU countries.

It's very easy to send thousands of messages to every number starting with a particular area code, knowing that they'll all receive the SMS message! Not quite so easy in the North american number system where you can't identify mobiles vs landlines at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭wba88

I am on vodafone and i got this about a month ago but i ignored it. It was a push message, i have a k800i.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭keltoms

think that the @ sign is an unread mms message! try look in ur mms inbox?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I thought @ (or something while looks like 2 of them together) ment you had a voicemail on Nokias?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

ciaranfo wrote:
    I thought @ (or something while looks like 2 of them together) ment you had a voicemail on Nokias?

Yep, it looks like this:

image76403783.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ciaranfo wrote:
    that's an old style tape, the reel-to-reel type, not an @ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Elbows

Check your service inbox in 'web' or whatever the gprs menu is called on your phone. Delete it, its a scam. If you pressed 'connect' that's you 'subscribed and you'll start getting sms messages costing €2 a pop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Cool, well I sorted it anyway...didn't subscribe mind you (for obvious reasons)...sent by some weird site...bleh...thanks for the help everyone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement