Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop with Vista, need to run XP for few days. Is a dual boot possible?

• 13-05-2007 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

So I bought a Dell Precision M65 laptop a few months back, but now need to run my thesis project off my laptop. Problem is it was programmed in macromedia director and the projector won't work with Vista.

I have a valid Windows XP install disc from my last laptop and so, can I use this (and this isn't necessarily a legal question as I only want to run it for a few days and then it's being deleted.

I obviously though do not wish to delete my entire Vista install and instead would just like to run it from some sort of a dual boot type setup. Is this going to be possible to do? And also, will I be likely to get functional drivers all working?
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: Precision M65
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A07
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7400 @ 2.16GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    Page File: 1190MB used, 3120MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Will it run if the program is put into compatibility mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Try what Auvers suggested first.
    To get the dual boot to work properly you need to format the hard drive, partition it (if it's not already), install the older OS (XP) first, then install newer OS (Vista).
    Did you check Macromedia for an updated version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Haven't done it but found the following on OcUK just before I saw your post.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17728994

Looks handy.

I'd try finding a fix for Macromedia director and the projector first though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭wheatln2

Really can't believe I overlooked compatibility mode. It appears to have worked a treat! I assumed as it's a projector of it's own that it would run into problems but it plays fine, so that's a real relief, least my degree is now back on track!

Advertisement