Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe cycle Lanes/paths

Options
  • 13-05-2007 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi all

Last week I bought my first bike in 25 years (my legs are in bits) I also got one for my 8 year old son. We have been out all weekend and I find the only safe place to cycle is the phoenix pk. Could anybody recommend a safe Off road cycle Lane/path to bring my son in the general dublin area? We both have mountain bikes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

From Houth head in to town by Clontarf is a very nice cycle path and nice views all along the coast. Well worth trying it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mallet head

mloc123 wrote:
    From Houth head in to town by Clontarf is a very nice cycle path and nice views all along the coast. Well worth trying it out.

Thats super thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Where in Dublin are you?

rubadub wrote:
    Where in Dublin are you?

I live in Inchicore but am buying a bike rack for the back of the car so I can get the bikes to a decent cycle way without exposing my son to the lunatics on the road.We will hope to do some easy treks in the mountains aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

The Howth-Town cycle path suggested is really Sutton -> Bull Wall, causeway, and then Bull Wall wooden bridge -> Clontarf. It's a nice spin, but don't expect to get from Howth to Town by avoiding the roads unfortunately...

Edit - the Howth -> Sutton stretch will put you in traffic at busy intersections, so you'd want to know what you're doing.

Phoenix park offers some pleasant cycling, Inchicore to a gate wouldn't be too hard to do.

Edit - sorry, didn't see the Phoeno reference in your original post...

It's hard to find nice spins without some road-riding, I learned to cycle in St. Anne's park in Clontarf if that's any use to you. There's a long causeway at the gate beside St. Paul's College near Killester.

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

An option near Dun Laoghaire is Clonkeen Park near Dean's Grange to another park near Ballybrack. There is one or two road crossing but I think there is pedestrian lights. Hear is Google Maps link to the start near Dean's Grange.

Other option would be the piers in Dun Laoghaire, and along the promenade towards Sandycove (though it's not a cycleway).

Thanks for all the help folks I will give them a go. I should point out altho my son is only 8 he is very comfortable cycling 5/6 miles over fairly level ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

There's a path along the canal from Inchicore to Rialto as long as your son can avoid tipping into the water...

Also, there's a path along the liffey from Islandbride to Chapelizod taking in the garden of remembrance etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Two other isolated paths along the south coast are Booterstown-Blackrock and Seapoint-Dun Laoghaire (West Pier.) Technically the second may not be a cycle track but it is perfectly fine to cycle on IMO if you are careful and courteous.

You can then cycle through the harbour (public roads but very quiet unless a ferry has just come in) and the length of the East Pier (lower level) as long as you're doing it before 13:00.

There is also an extensive promenade along Sandymount Strand although I am not 100% sure if it is for cycling and it is quite busy with walkers/joggers.

Advertisement