Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recomend a Knife

• 13-05-2007 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Don't know if this is the right place to post but i will ask anyway.
    can you recommend a good Chefs knife 10" Stainless.
    Where to buy and what price to pay?
    Thanks
    JOhn:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

You don't say how much you want to spend. You can easily pay hundreds for a decent knife.

Best knives I've ever used are Japanese... Have a look at this page.

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/DPSwdenSteelWoodenHandleSeries.html#WIDTH:%20367px;%20HEIGHT:%20174px

The Tojiro knives are reckoned to be the best value Japanese knives... the gyuto is the equivalent of a European chef's knife and might be what you're looking for. The F809 is about 10" and costs $59.40. I have one and no complaints at all - super sharp, keeps its edge and fantastic looking. Plus the kudos of owning a genuine Japanese knife :) Great knives for the money.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

yea they look nice and just what i am looking for .
    Thanks
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

rockbeer wrote:
    Best knives I've ever used are Japanese... Have a look at this page.
    Plus the kudos of owning a genuine Japanese knife :)

Didn't know Sweden was in Japan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Anto McC wrote:

That link just points to a map and no content. Who are they? What do they do?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

There is a place on Pearse Street which sells all the various professional catering supplies, and they have a good variety of chef's knives etc. You might want to talk to them and see what knife suits your needs. Remember, if you just want to cook at home, you don't need the best knife in the world.

I'd say get a moderately priced (i.e. not something you'd get in Tescos for a fiver) chef's knife, steel and a sharpening stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

rockbeer wrote:
    That link just points to a map and no content. Who are they? What do they do?

Sorry about that. They're a catering supplies company have a huge selection of knives from various brands,as well as the other various bits and pieces like steels and that. The place on Pearse st is called Sweeny O'Rourkes and they've a decent selection but they buy some of there knives and other equipment from Hugh Jordans so they be dearer.

Advertisement