Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering and Technical Graphics for LC?

• 13-05-2007 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm a Transition Year student and am currently picking my subjects for the Leaving Cert. I hope to do Civil Engineering when I leave school so I'm just wondering whether or not to do Technical Graphics as a Leaving Cert subject. (I'm kinda stuck because if I pick TG, I can't do another subject I wanna do). I'm doing physics and HL maths btw...

So basically I'm just wondering would it be a big disadvantage for me if I didn't pick Technical Graphics for the Leaving Cert. I did it for the Junior Cert and did pretty good, but I'm thinking of dropping it now...
    Also if there's anyone who's doing Engineering now who didn't do TG how do you find it? Would you say TG is pretty essential for Engineering?

Any help/recommendations would be much appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

yeah I do mechanical eng and I didnt take TG

if you can do it all the better, but its not too much much of a hole in your reppitoire. Engineering itself even... not THAT helpful.

I mean it nails a few basics and IS THE EASIEST SUBJECT IN THE LEAVING CERT! but half of the DME and METS applicants didnt do either

Physics is what will really help you. work hard on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 DaBoocal

Physics is a balls,tech graph not really needed,use cad in engineering,tech graph though and being good at it allows me to be very good at CAD because i know most of the construction basics for the cad drawings and how they work.Engineering itself is easy points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

My brother's a qualified civil engineer and he didn't do technical drawing (as it was back then) for his leaving certificate but he did do it in his spare time (i.e. working through the prescribed text) as it was something which he was interested in... not having it as a leaving cert subject didn't prevent him from taking up a civil engineering course.

As mawk said - concentrate on the physics and maths. No matter what line of engineering you decide to do you'll need a pretty good handle on both these - I remember endless frustrating hours relearning all the leaving cert mechanics stuff when I studied electronic engineering... horrid stuff :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Thanks for the replies!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

TD is a usefull subjec to have if you want to do civil eningeering. I did it in Trinity were you have a 1st year course in it.

When I was in college a lot of people who didnt do TD suffered as they found it very difficult.

I did TD all the way from 1st year to 6th year including TY so it was a piece of piss for me.

Depending on what the other subject was I would do YD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

You don't need it. I did Electronic Eng (and I know lots of people who did different branches of eng) without doing that subject for LC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

toiletduck wrote:
    You don't need it. I did Electronic Eng (and I know lots of people who did different branches of eng) without doing that subject for LC.

All forms of engineering could do with having a working knwoledge of TD. It does come in handy

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure now I'm gonna pick TG. The other subject is History (maybe I should've mentioned that), which I know would have no benefit whatsoever for Engineering.. it's just that I've always gotten an A in it and I feel I'd do better points wise.
    But no, Tech would be much more useful (and probably more enjoyable as I heard History is awful for LC) so it looks like I'll pick it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

well i did history, enjoyed it too but it IS totally useless to me. and was a viscious hard subject before they revised to paper a few years back, it looks waay easier to do well in now.

but anyway if your set on being an engineer TD wont hurt you at all. A lot of it you wont use but knowing the basics will help you ace cad.

actually, what kind of engineering are you aiming to do?

mawk wrote:
    well i did history, enjoyed it too but it IS totally useless to me. and was a viscious hard subject before they revised to paper a few years back, it looks waay easier to do well in now.

but anyway if your set on being an engineer TD wont hurt you at all. A lot of it you wont use but knowing the basics will help you ace cad.

actually, what kind of engineering are you aiming to do?

Yeah.. right now I'm aiming to do Civil, although that could possibly change by the time I'm in 6th year. But I've been thinking about Civil a good while now.

I also should've mentioned that they're introducing a revised syllabus of TG in September. The name will be changed to 'Design and Communications Graphics' and 40% of the marks are on a project you submit and there's only one 3 hour paper. It's also much more focused on CAD, which may help me a lot for Engineering. But the basics of the course will stay the same. We'll be the first year to sit the exam in 2009. There's more info on it here - http://www.maryhanafin.ie/december1.htm

• Advertisement

Jello wrote:
    Yeah.. right now I'm aiming to do Civil, although that could possibly change by the time I'm in 6th year. But I've been thinking about Civil a good while now.

I also should've mentioned that they're introducing a revised syllabus of TG in September. The name will be changed to 'Design and Communications Graphics' and 40% of the marks are on a project you submit and there's only one 3 hour paper. It's also much more focused on CAD, which may help me a lot for Engineering. But the basics of the course will stay the same. We'll be the first year to sit the exam in 2009. There's more info on it here - http://www.maryhanafin.ie/december1.htm

Jaysus in my day it was 2 four hour exams. Long and bloddy hard H.L

I did histroy for my LC. the time tables suited and I liked it.

I did histoty, frnech, appllied maths, TD and physis. All handy subjects except history for civil in both trinity and ucd

Advertisement