Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Galaxy Turbo gone - but replaced, still buy?

Options
  • 13-05-2007 9:40pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys, my brother in law is buying a galaxy from garage in UK.

Been to see the motor, got HPI check and it is spot on.

I also purchased off these guys myself with no issue.

Now they said there was an issue so they said they would fix it before he collected, it turned out that last Oct the previous owner changed the turbo before he sold it, now it seems that it is gone again. So they are going to replace it.

Now should it be a concern that the turbo is gone, he is worried that a problem like this may not go away.

What u think?

cheers

BTW - 02 Galaxy 130bhp, 44k miles

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I wouldnt go near it if the turbo has go 2 times in a 5 yr old car :eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

drdre wrote:
    I wouldnt go near it if the turbo has go 2 times in a 5 yr old car :eek:

It seems that the turbo replaced in Oct was done badly according to these guys, they are willing to give him a 12 month guarantee with it and an 18 month guarantee on the turbo so that is alright.

I still have my concerns though, is a turbo going in the first place a bad idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

yop wrote:
    I still have my concerns though, is a turbo going in the first place a bad idea!

The turbo is pretty much completely independent of the engine, so it failing shouldn't be a symptom of something else being amiss.

Turbos are generally reliable, and tend to fail as a result of how the car is driven. E.g. switching off the engine at high rpm, or caning the car from cold tends to be very bad.

Make sure that the correct turbo is fitted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I think it will be too much hassle, its better leaving it and looking for another car in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 quarefellow

maidhc wrote:
    The turbo is pretty much completely independent of the engine, so it failing shouldn't be a symptom of something else being amiss.
    Make sure that the correct turbo is fitted!

You hit the nail on the head there, spot on. A brand new turbo should last for years PROVIDED IT IS TREATED PROPERLY. If you abuse it you'll lose it; same applies to most things in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

maidhc wrote:

I am not sure I would agree with that. The Turbo is supplied oil from the engine and returns it to the sump. They can also cause engine damage when they go.

Those Turbos can give a few problems with the vanes sticking which would not cause any further damage. If it was just one I would not be concerned, but two! Maybe one was fitted in error for an overboost fault, or maybe it got a cheap reconditioned one.

I do not think you have enough info to make an informed decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I've known of a case where a vw bora needed a replacement turbo within 15k miles - took a devil of a job to finally convince vw that this was the issue. Convinced it was a fault on the car from new which progressively became worse.
    Turbos can fail through driver abuse (hammering the car, and then switching off before the turbo gets a chance to cool properly - this causes the residual oil around the turbo bearings to coke up and solidify), faulty EGR valve operation (resultant exhaust gas temprature higher, and/or lots of soot choking the vanes of the turbo), or by overboosting faults (a bad remap or faulty ECU could possibly do this).

I'd have no problem with 1 turbo being replaced, but 2 is questionable. Whatever caused the first 1 to go may not have been identified, and caused the 2nd to go soonafter.
    As MrD said above, you need more information before you make your decision.

Advertisement