Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Go Top In Last Minute Barca Slip-Up.

• 13-05-2007 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

barcelona130507.jpg

A picture says a thousand words.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

how do they seperate teams in spain seeing as both teams have same points and barca have a better goal difference ( more goals and better defence)? Matches won? Some rule probably brought in by the madrid loving FA i'd say. Unless im blind and im missing something!

http://goalzz.com/main.aspx?c=2439&stage=1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/spain_results/tables/default.stm

edit: seems like they base it on matches between the teams involved, which is a bad way to decide a whole league.

http://www.soccer-spain.com/ssdocs/history/league.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It goes on the head to head record on the two teams on the same amount of points.

Real beat Barca earlier in the season so they're ahead of them. I'm not sure if the second game between the two has taken place yet this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

edit: seems like they base it on matches between the teams involved, which is a bad way to decide a whole league.

I actually think it makes more sense to do it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I actually think it makes more sense to do it that way.

Not really, your basically taking the league which is played over 38 games and reducing it to a 2 leg knockout game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I didn't realise La Liga runs to 17th June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Funny thing is Capello looks likely to deliver the first league title in 5 years maybe 4, not entirely sure) but will probably still get the chop. Reminiscent of del Bosque anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It goes on the head to head record on the two teams on the same amount of points.

Real beat Barca earlier in the season so they're ahead of them. I'm not sure if the second game between the two has taken place yet this year.
    Second match was a 3-3 draw at the Nou Camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Not really, your basically taking the league which is played over 38 games and reducing it to a 2 leg knockout game.

Not really. The two teams have to level on points first. Once they're level, surely the best way to decide who's best is to compare their results against each other - not compare how many they managed to score against the minnows.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Not really. The two teams have to level on points first. Once they're level, surely the best way to decide who's best is to compare their results against each other - not compare how many they managed to score against the minnows.
    So every other team in the league is a minnow?

There's merit in the head to head system when the GDs are similar but when one team has a vastly superior goal difference and is behind because of one result it's a bit of a farce. It's a league, not a cup, and it should reward consistency (as well as attacking prowess).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

So every other team in the league is a minnow?

There's merit in the head to head system when the GDs are similar but when one team has a vastly superior goal difference and is behind because of one result it's a bit of a farce. It's a league, not a cup, and it should reward consistency (as well as attacking prowess).

The reason they do it on a head to head in Spain is to lessen the possibility of match fixing...for example 2 teams are level on points on the last day and both record cricket scores to boost their goal difference:rolleyes: - it's happened before.

In Italy if teams are level after a campaign it goes to a 2 leg play-off:eek:
    Again to lessen the possibility of match fixing.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Nunu wrote:
    In Italy if teams are level after a campaign it goes to a 2 leg play-off:eek:
    Again to lessen the possibility of match fixing.
    Match fixing in Italy? I refuse to believe it.

It's good to see a real competitive league though, but I don't think this is a great way to settle a league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

5starpool wrote:
    Match fixing in Italy? I refuse to believe it.

It's good to see a real competitive league though, but I don't think this is a great way to settle a league.

While it is now competitive its been a below par season in Spain overall. Barca are nowhere near as good as they were last season, Sevilla have thrown away numerous chances of going top and Real had a dreadful start to the season. It has become exciting because no one seemed to want to win it but Real are on a very good run of form and are looking favourites now. If they keep their run going they will win it as Barca and Sevilla dont look like they have what it takes this season.

Advertisement