Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

northbridge and southbridge....overheating??

• 13-05-2007 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

ive got an msi p965 neo motherboard n a e6600, when going to up the fsb, i can only get up to 301, any further and the pc wont boot up properly, it freezes before even the bios comes up again after the restart. i was thinking this may be due to the north or southbridge overheating but im not quite sure (they are quite warm to the touch). if anyone knows if this is indeed the cause, can they advise me maybe on some more adept coolers from komplett.

if this isnt the problem, can someone shed some light on the problem plz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Possibly more voltage required which you can't give with that msi board, although I am in the same boot with the neo-f and I have 310 with no problems at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

i was also thinkin that, but theres nothin i can do about the voltage (as far as i know anyway). the vcore at load is 1.22-1.26v and at idle is 1.04v (with speedstep enabled)

can someone think of a reason why my pc wont run when i up the fsb beyond 301mhz???... cpu is only runnin at 52 degrees at load, so theres still more to be got from it if i can sort out the problem???????

HELP ME!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Have you upped the cpu/northbridge and ram voltages slightly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Anti wrote:
    Have you upped the cpu/northbridge and ram voltages slightly?

btw anti where is ur c2d build its not in ur sig?

• Advertisement

Sold to pay for other newer things ;)

But that will come soon :)

nope, havnt touched the voltage. cant with my mobo.

Are you sure? Not even with a different bios?

pretty sure i didnt touch the voltage, as ive looked for a way to change it numberous times. wat do you mean with a different bios?...did i try instaling a new bios???... didnt know u can do that....

Just updating your bios. And I still think you won't be able to change anything. I know I can't even with a bios update, and we have similar boards.

• Advertisement

how exactly do i do that?:confused::confused: ...update my bios liike

That really sucks, and hugly limits the ammount you cna overclock.

@SEB try lowering the multi down 1 drop, and not a X.5 varient. And try upping the fsb there again.

.............cant change the multi either anti....:( :(

Jasus :(

Did you not check out any reviews on that board?

How long have you had it? As id rip off a few caps and get it rma's and get a different board.

i didnt really know too much about mobos at the time....it was either u or 8T8 who advised on gettin this board...so.........yeeeeeeeeeah (think it was 8T8) booooooo!:p have jus over a month now. i have the e6600 at 2.7 at the mo. i mean theres not really that much of a need to go more... its not really worth the hastle of being a jerk.

As you say there's not much need anyway for anything higher then that anyway right now, even at stock my 6400 could easily run anything on high, although I have overclocked it to just past 6600 speeds, the max it will go just by raising fsb I think is about 2.6ghz. Although it's strange that it won't let you go past 301, I had it at 310 ok and now at 305 fine

I got this board because it was dirt cheap and at the time I was sure I wouldn't be overclocking...:(

same boat as you. went for a cheap mobo cause i didnt know much bout oc'n.... both of us regrettin gettin that board now....:rolleyes:

Ah the way I look at it, by the time a 2.5Ghz Dual core isn't enough for games at a decent level, then by then I'll need a new machine anyway, and I'll be wiser next time....:)

Of course I could just get a new mobo now but....I am actually that lazy that I couldn't be bothered taking it apart for the sake of a further overclock which apart from a few benchmarks isn't going to really change my gameplay experience right now...

Good point, It would be alot wiser to save the money for a future purchase.

Advertisement