Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bug Id, help needed

Options
  • 13-05-2007 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    any ideas what this chap might be? Snapped in Lismore Castle, Co. Waterford yesterday. Doesn't look like a hornet, it has to be some kind of wasp or other though.

496777688_e83a2bb774.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I can't see any link to a picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I can't see any link to a picture.
    Having this problem a bit on the photography forum, One of the lads there can see images posted on one of his computers, but not on the other. I can see it alright.

This is a straight link to the pic page here .
    After reading up on Conopidae on this wiki article it appears that I was wrong in guessing it was a wasp of some sort.
    Aggh, they're like something from Aliens
    The larvae of all conopids are internal parasites, most of aculeate (stinging) Hymenoptera. Adult females aggressively intercept and deposit eggs on their hosts in-flight, and the female's abdomen is modified to form what amounts to a "can opener" to pry open the segments of the host's abdomen as the egg is inserted. The subfamily Stylogastrinae, including the genus Stylogaster, is somewhat different, in that the egg itself is shaped somewhat like a harpoon, with a rigid barbed tip, and the egg is forcibly jabbed into the host.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The eyes should have been a dead give away :D
    Never seen one like this though. Your one looks almsot pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

It looks to have only 1 pair of wings (unlike bees and wasps and their relatives that have two pairs of wings) so I reckon it's some kind of fly.

Advertisement