Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning brass door furniture

Options
  • 13-05-2007 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Is there an easy way of cleaning tarnished brash door furniture? I've had a go at cleaning a doorknob with a brass cleaner but it is going to take hours. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It is probably tarnished where the lacquer has worn off allowing the brass to oxidise, to do it properly you will need to strip all the old laquer off and get it back to plain brass.
    Once it is cleaned it should be easy to polish your knob;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

I intend using nail varnish remover to take it off, polish it with 'Brasso' and than re-lacquer it - what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've done this to a few of my interior door handles where the lacquer had worn away. I used Nitromors paint stripper to remove the lacquer and that was difficult enough .. can't see nail varnish remover making much of an impression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Take them of the door and use a buffer pad attched to your drill.

Advertisement