Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

installing modem on Vista OS...problems :(

• 13-05-2007 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

hi,

Im trying to installa trust v92 pci 56k modem on MS Vista, i downloaded the correct vista drivers, installed it. I tried querying the modem under diagnostics and i got back some message about irq configurations on the com port...anyone have any ideas or solution to troublsehoot? How do I turn on the IRQ port interrupt?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

*bump*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Not sure really how to troubleshoot this one as it could get messy fiddling with the bios and interrupts.

Quick and easy attempt to fix it is to pull the modem from it's current PCI slot and put it into another slot so it will be installed as a new device.

Most soft modems don't need a driver for Windows these days was this modem not recognised at all without a driver ?

hi,

yes it was detected automatically, but it still wasnt working so i removed the driver and downloaded the latest Vista driver and still got the same result. The only thing i could try is a new pci slot. The message i was getting was to make sure the modem is turned on and the interrupt port is set.

I'm doing this for a friend who is still in the land of dialup and unfortunately i know nothing about modems, i hate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Could it be the modem itself is dodgy ?

Modem's are pretty cheap it might be worth calling it quits and just get an external USB one.

The IRQ's are handled by the bios and not something you want to go messing with if the motherboards has hardware serial and parallel ports which aren't being used you could try disabling them in the bios that would free up the IRQ's used and it might get the modem working.

hi thanks for replying, one last thing.

i notice the IRQ in the resources was x00014(20) i assume its hex 14 and decimal 20 . The bios pci ports irq was set to auto, so i changed this to 14 (the highest value was 15). Started the machine and it actually queried the modem which it hadnt done till now. also i did msinfo32.exe and notice that IRQ 14 is assigned to ATA-0 ??

The return response however returned alot of unsuccessful commands...not sure what this means...i feel like im getting closer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement