Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Sinn Féin truly reformed?

Options
  • 13-05-2007 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Over the past few weeks, I've noticed a softening of SF's policies and a movement towards the centre that I hadnt seen before.

Out of curiosity, I went through their website to see where they're similar and different from the other parties..

.. and I found this tshirt on their eshop on their website..

nwiratshirt.JPG

and this one also..

alorrytshirt.jpg

Why would a party that denounces violence and killing sell such items to fund the party's movement?

I think that this kind of "merchandise" needs to be removed before I could vote for the party. It really disappointed me and I was very surprised to see it.

How can we consider SF as part of a government with a SF Minister for Defence when by selling these items, they advocate a different, "undefeated army"?

I dont intend this thread to be SF bashing, as Im delighted to see the progress in the North etc. and there are SF members that deserve a lot of praise for their work. I just dont like being blatantly hoodwinked in this manner. A party is peaceful or it isnt. SF have to decide to be peaceful, and take this stuff down from their website.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They still carry several suitcases but the trick is they have learnt to hide them in plain site. We know thier history and they won't forget it either but in the mainstream media they couch thier language to suit and tend not to proclaim things that'll scare the electoral horses. Though you might find some in SF would quite like it if the above items quietly dissapeared from view.

That said most who vote for them don't mind if SF get shirty in fact they'd proberly like to see more of it to prove SF are still anti-establishment 'rebels'.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's debatable. Sinn Féin have a right to be proud of their roots in the IRA going back to before 1916. Unification is still very much a part of their manifesto. The stuff on The Rising and even "Brit Troops Out" are reasonable stuff to have. "IRA: Undefeated Army" is a bit much, particularly with the images of guys in balaclavas. Glorifying the Brookeborough Raid is way outside the line, and that should definitely be taken down.

Sinn Féin's actions in recent times have shown a real committment to change, and I think they are a completely reformed party. That said, I don't think I'll give them even a transfer vote. Although that's from an economic standpoint rather than anything else, despite the fact that their stated policies are probably closest to my own. I don't believe they would actually carry through with any of them, especially if they were asked to compromise to get into a coalition.

With regard to the general election, I don't think that there's any party that would go into a coalition with them. The thing I worry about most is that they will take some of the youth and left vote away from the Fine Gael/Labour coalition. Fianna Fáil are unlikely to lose too many votes to SF

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Seriously, if you vote for a party based on what sort of memorabilia they sell then you'd want your head examined.
    Judge a party on their manifesto and their achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

bug wrote:
    Seriously, if you vote for a party based on what sort of memorabilia they sell then you'd want your head examined.
    When that memorabilia glorifies the violent past of the party, the murders that took place, and which most people like to believe are behind them. Most SF'ers I know think that SF has distanced itself from violence, so its ok to vote for them.
    I disagree.

When that memorabilia glorifies the violent past of the party, the murders that took place, and which most people like to believe are behind them. Most SF'ers I know think that SF has distanced itself from violence, so its ok to vote for them.
    I disagree.
    Being the devils advocate here but if the internet had of been around after the birth of our state, I wonder if FF would be selling memorabilia which glorifies the violent past of the party.

I actually might buy one, could be worth a lot of money in a few decades.

I think their actions in the past few years speak louder than a few t-shirts.
    But maybe that's me.
    I'd rather judge them on what I have seen locally and whether I think they are prepared for government here yet.
    Regardless, I think the party will develop into a real contender, but it will take a while yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

This was featured on a TV3 political programme at least a year ago, when it was put to Mary Lou McDonald that such memorabilia was giving out very bad signals about her party. She didn't seem to think much of it.

If this were the Greens or the PDs, or any of the other small parties (or indeed any other Dail party), there would be complete uproar over such memorabilia on an official website. Should we accept it just because it's SF?

Amid all the political niceties of the events in the North recently, this is a stark reminder of SF attitudes to what has gone on. I'm not saying that they ever pretended differently, but perhaps that we shouldn't forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

SF still have a way to go to be considered a purely democratic party. They've yet to denounce alot of violence, they're still linked to the IRA and the army council probably has a significant influence on SF policy.

But having said that, they've made some real advancements towards democracy in recent years. They've shown determination to get the NI assembly up and running, and have had to convince their supporters to trust them in passing the motion to engage with the PSNI. They've convinced the provos to decommision their weapons, and the IMC has confirmed that they're still complying with this.

They've been involved with some disgusting things in recent years.

All things considered, I'm willing to give them a preference. They're not going away tomorrow. They're the oldest party in the country (if my history serves me correctly!), a party which has had a profound influence on the shape of the island. They're not going away, so if you believe as I do that they've given up trying to get a united Ireland by bombs and bullets, then I think they should be given the consideration that other parties are given. The best way I think to ensure that peace is maintained on the island is to include parties like SF in the democratic process. If Republicans believe that they have a better chance of achieving their aims via the ballot box, then that's the approach they're gonna take, and that's being reflected in the IRA decommisioning for example. It's being recognised that the violence is utterly futile, and that there's a chance of achieving a UI if SF present themselves as a legitimate party with credible policies.

That's what I think anyway!

edit:

Forgot to address the t-shirts, etc..... SF consider the armed campaign as a legitimate one and an important one. So I don't think that they're just selling those t-shirts to pander to the extreme Republicans. But having said that, their transition to a purely democratic party, from a practical point of view, will have to be gradual. If they disassociate themselves with 'the Troubles' and with more recent IRA activity, then they'll instantly lose the support of the hard-line Republicans and IRA supporters who have supported the decommisioning and trusted SF about sitting on the police boards. So what you say, if they're a democratic party then that's a good thing...... In theory yes, but from a practical point of view, if they cut themselves off from the hard-line supporters, then where do those supporters go? Right into the arms of more radical Republican groups like Republican Sinn Fein, and things could degenerate again.
    Whereas if they make it a gradual transition then as the OP mentioned, they'll start to moderate and start moving towards the centre, eventually moving away from the hard-liners.

DaveMcG wrote:

edit:

Forgot to address the t-shirts, etc..... SF consider the armed campaign as a legitimate one and an important one. So I don't think that they're just selling those t-shirts to pander to the extreme Republicans. But having said that, their transition to a purely democratic party, from a practical point of view, will have to be gradual. If they disassociate themselves with 'the Troubles' and with more recent IRA activity, then they'll instantly lose the support of the hard-line Republicans and IRA supporters who have supported the decommisioning and trusted SF about sitting on the police boards. So what you say, if they're a democratic party then that's a good thing...... In theory yes, but from a practical point of view, if they cut themselves off from the hard-line supporters, then where do those supporters go? Right into the arms of more radical Republican groups like Republican Sinn Fein, and things could degenerate again.
    Whereas if they make it a gradual transition then as the OP mentioned, they'll start to moderate and start moving towards the centre, eventually moving away from the hard-liners.

precisely my thoughts.
    get the T-shirts while you can, doubt they'll be there in a few years. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

DaveMcG wrote:
    They're the oldest party in the country .
    IMO FF are the oldest party on the Island. There was a Sinn Fein that split into FF and SF. FF kept most of the policies of the first SF, while the new SF were a bunch of loopers. If one goes by the name, then SF is the oldest, if one goes by policy and position, then FF is. It's rather like having a son who has the same name as you - it doesn't mean he can use your birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

OK, This is a lot like the "if SF are ok for DUP then why are they not ok down south" thread which was locked the other day havign run it's course.

That said, If the SF website is selling IRA memoribilia it should tell democrats and fascists all they need to know about voting for SF and where they really stand on democracy.

As i've previously said, SF are "in rehab", but it'll be a while before we can give them the keys to the brewery :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,351 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

DaveMcG wrote:
    SF still have a way to go to be considered a purely democratic party. They've yet to denounce alot of violence, they're still linked to the IRA and the army council probably has a significant influence on SF policy.

I thought your post was generally quite reasonable. However, I think it is very important to note that the above is quite a baseless statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Young Fine Gael members frequently wear t-shirts emblazoned with Michael Collins sporting a Mauser Automatic, perhaps they haven't "reformed" from their terrible IRA past? Fianna Fáil frequently hold commemorations for IRA Volunteers as well. At the end of the day people are entitled to be proud of the Irish struggle for independence and they have the right to demonstrate support for it. To be honest wearing a t-shirt with "Undefeated Army" on it does not equate with having a desire to return to armed struggle, although I personally wouldn't wear one because it happens to be false advertising!

I also think that some of the opinions expressed on this thread regarding the relationship between the IRA and Sinn Féin to be unfounded, and based on ignorance of the realities. The Army Council does not have any influence over Sinn Féin policy, that used to be the case but the whole Provisional project is now concentrated solely in the Sinn Féin party, whatever the past of some of its members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

IMO FF are the oldest party on the Island. There was a Sinn Fein that split into FF and SF. FF kept most of the policies of the first SF, while the new SF were a bunch of loopers. If one goes by the name, then SF is the oldest, if one goes by policy and position, then FF is. It's rather like having a son who has the same name as you - it doesn't mean he can use your birthday.

Well your opinion is wrong on at least one count

If you accept that SF is not the continuation of the party founded in 1905 (which is debatable) then the oldest political party on the Island would be the UUP which was founded as the UUC in 1905 and and has its roots in the Irish Unionist Party going back to the 19th century.

Alternatively if you are just talking about the 26 counties then the oldest party would be the Labour Party founded in 1912.

That is presuming you accepted the idea the SF are not the continuation of a party founded in 1905 which of course they clearly are as the various splits have always been people leaving the name and the rest of the republican movement behind them eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

I think T-Shirts of the like shown will be taken off the shelves in the near future. It gives very bad signals of the party however I can safely say they are simply T-Shirts. And to be honest, the undefeated army T-Shirts are top sellers for Irish Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

I personally wouldn't wear one because it happens to be false advertising

tut tut from the ashes!!

I've a huge can of worms here bursting to open :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I dont see why other parties dont jump on the bandwagon and cash in their dodgy pasts for merchandise, fine gael could issue commerative blue shirts, Fianna fail could celebrate dev's heroic execution of republican prisioners.. "line em up boys" would be a cool logo.

The labour party could issue commerative bank notes in memory of Pat Rabbites old chums fund raising activites. Or how about "Vote DeRossa: twice" on a t-shirt to remind us of the glory days of the WP?

I'm waiting for sinn fein to issue the h-block diet book at this stage. Or start selling off commerative bits of shergar. :rolleyes:

Jon wrote:
    tut tut from the ashes!!

I've a huge can of worms here bursting to open :D

Chillax the kacks lad, it was a prominent member of Ógra who first had me in stitches over that gag. :p
    "Vote DeRossa: twice" on a t-shirt to remind us of the glory days of the WP?

Beaut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Lets face it lads we have all been here , done this and brought the T-Shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

FTA69 wrote:
    Young Fine Gael members frequently wear t-shirts emblazoned with Michael Collins sporting a Mauser Automatic, perhaps they haven't "reformed" from their terrible IRA past? Fianna Fáil frequently hold commemorations for IRA Volunteers as well. At the end of the day people are entitled to be proud of the Irish struggle for independence and they have the right to demonstrate support for it. To be honest wearing a t-shirt with "Undefeated Army" on it does not equate with having a desire to return to armed struggle, although I personally wouldn't wear one because it happens to be false advertising!

I also think that some of the opinions expressed on this thread regarding the relationship between the IRA and Sinn Féin to be unfounded, and based on ignorance of the realities. The Army Council does not have any influence over Sinn Féin policy, that used to be the case but the whole Provisional project is now concentrated solely in the Sinn Féin party, whatever the past of some of its members.

Indeed it should be noted that no less a person than the Taoiseach addresed the Liam Mellowes Commemoration beofore Christmas and there was not a peep out of anyone.

As for not voting Sinn Féin because of the merchandise sold...what can I say? It's seems a petty reason as if one was scrambling around alomost looking for excuses not to accept Sinn Féin have moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Lots of good observations.

I can see that some people are of the opinion.. "Relax its a tshirt".. but for people killed in the troubles, or for people who grew up hearing about bombs and murders, I really dont see the positivity in selling tshirts to commemorate those who carried out these acts.

I also disagree with the "we have to gradually take them away" angle. I dont think its right to appease any terrorist, wherever they're from. Ok.. do it in private.. but dont rub people's noses in it by selling tshirts.

I may be unique, but seeing those disgusted me enough to push me away from any transfer votes going to SF.

Oh and for the record.. I didnt start this thread to bash Sinn Fein. I started it to see was I the only one with a problem with their tshirts.

I dont see why criticism of SF is always put down to "bashing". I have a right to criticise all parties, and I often do exactly that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

csk wrote:
    Indeed it should be noted that no less a person than the Taoiseach addresed the Liam Mellowes Commemoration beofore Christmas and there was not a peep out of anyone.

As for not voting Sinn Féin because of the merchandise sold...what can I say? It's seems a petty reason as if one was scrambling around alomost looking for excuses not to accept Sinn Féin have moved on.
    Except for the fact that the brothers sisters and friends of the people killed in the North in the 80's and 90's by the IRA are still alive and those killers are applauded by SF for their "good work".
    Thats the difference there and it's a serious one in this information age that we live in.
    Practically all those IRA atrocities were beamed into the living rooms of people many of whom will be voting on the 24th.
    They can put a tangable link between death distruction and the praise it got from SF.

By contrast,there arent too many of Liam Mellowes contemporaries around.

People will move on eventually but to expect it now or at the next election is a bit much.

but dont rub people's noses in it by selling tshirts.

They aren't rubbing anyone's noses in it, don't go to the site if you don't want to look at the t-shirts, it seems to me people are going out of their way to be offended.
    I really dont see the positivity in selling tshirts to commemorate those who carried out these acts.

As I said, nobody's disputing the fact that many IRA actions were wrong, but many do believe the struggle for Irish freedom was noble and is fit to commemorate and celebrate. The IRA in the '20s committed atrocities as well but all parties can commemorate them without coming in for criticism. Likewise films like the Wind That Shakes The Barley are critically acclaimed while a similar one on the IRA of the 70s would probably be derided. It is generally part of the selective amnesia people have in the south, the likes of the Rising and Tan War are all well and good, as if they were firing supersoakers at the British Army.

RC,
    By contrast,there arent too many of Liam Mellowes contemporaries around.

No, but they were around in the years after the Tan War, the Peader O'Donnells and the George Gilmores and you can be sure people found them just as offensive back then, as well as the message they were advocating.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes they have reformed (well, they are better at politics now than before). They made the IRA have decommission guns and they are in power with DUP. On the policing board etc. And now you are on about some effing t-shirts. When will it stop? Seppuku for Gerry?

biko wrote:
    Yes they have reformed (well, they are better at politics now than before). They made the IRA have decommission guns and they are in power with DUP. On the policing board etc. And now you are on about some effing t-shirts. When will it stop? Seppuku for Gerry?

You seem to think I have a deep hatred of SF. If you read my first post you'll see my admiration for the work done in the north. I just dont like the idea of people glorifying killers on tshirts, and then asking me to vote for them.

I am entitled to my opinion and it will "effing" stop when I believe I am voting for a party that is peaceful to the core.

Seppuku for Gerry? Please.. just take down the tshirts that have guns and IRA celebrations on them. Its distasteful if SF want to be in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

I think if they handed over the murderers of Robert McCarthy and Joseph Rafferty it would do a lot more to make me consider voting Sinn Fein than any T-Shirts being available on their web-site !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You're right in the sense that it glorifies violence but for Northern Nationalists it represents the struggle against the oppressor. IRA was never defeated but chose to put down arms to forward political means. Therefore SF has no military means anymore.

I didn't want to imply that you is anti SF but recently it seems there is no pleasing people - except around a quarter of the voters.

Out of interest, what would actually turn you around to vote for SF? When would you be satisfied with their efforts? When they stop selling these t-shirts?

biko wrote:
    You're right in the sense that it glorifies violence but for Northern Nationalists it represents the struggle against the oppressor. IRA was never defeated but chose to put down arms to forward political means. Therefore SF has no military means anymore.

I didn't want to imply that you is anti SF but recently it seems there is no pleasing people - except around a quarter of the voters.

Out of interest, what would actually turn you around to vote for SF? When would you be satisfied with their efforts? When they stop selling these t-shirts?

I'd vote for SF when their economic policies match mine, when they answer questions directly once in a while (all parties guilty here), when they remove those tshirts!, and when they have a candidate that I think is impressive.

I would also like to see them in opposition for a couple of terms before I give them the shot at government.. however they are far too far away from me politically and policy wise for them to get my vote.

I look forward to the day when I trust SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,351 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

opa01_2000 wrote:
    I think if they handed over the murderers of Robert McCarthy and Joseph Rafferty it would do a lot more to make me consider voting Sinn Fein than any T-Shirts being available on their web-site !!!

That comment is inaccurate and unhelpful. The political party Sinn Feinn have nothing to do with protecting those people and were not involved in the murders in any way, shape or form. It irritates me that such a view persists in the minds of the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

Trotter wrote:
    I think that this kind of "merchandise" needs to be removed before I could vote for the party.
    I sincerely doubt you (or anybody else) were going to vote for the party if only the merchandise were not on sale.:rolleyes:
    Trotter wrote:
    How can we consider SF as part of a government with a SF Minister for Defence when by selling these items, they advocate a different, "undefeated army"?................A party is peaceful or it isnt. SF have to decide to be peaceful, and take this stuff down from their website.
    They are not advocating a role for the "undefeated army" now, merely pointing out that it had a role in the past. And Sinn Fein supported that role in the past. And no longer see any need to support or advocate such a role now and have said so openly. You can believe in peace for the future and still believe violence was justified in the past. I can't believe this comes as a surprise to anybody.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

FTA69 wrote:
    They aren't rubbing anyone's noses in it, don't go to the site if you don't want to look at the t-shirts, it seems to me people are going out of their way to be offended.
    And therein lies the problem; Sinn Fein & Co complain that people don't take them seriously, and that people constantly refer to the murderers and criminals in their midst, instead of focussing on SF's policies......so what do people do ?

They go to the SF website to see what their policies are.

And what do they see there ?

That's not going out of their way to be offended; that's giving SF the benefit of the doubt, seeking out more info, and being proven right (which is unfortunate, since we'd all love to see signs that SF have indeed moved on).

It's a bit like visiting the Fianna Fail website and seeing messages that it's OK to embezzle medical funds to buy Charvet shirts and sell passports and take backhanders......

It won't happen because, whatever about what some members of Fianna Fail might do behind closed doors, the party doesn't want to [be seen to] condone it.

Unfortunately, SF can't seem to figure out that the public doesn't agree with highlighting the crap from the past, and the way things are gone it's difficult to separate the actual fight for freedom from digusting atrocities performed since. I'd love to be proud of the "fight for freedom", but since there's "guilt-by-association" to a load of other crap that I'm not only not proud of, but disgusted by, I can't; that pisses me off.

Plus, could you imagine an Iraq guy being interested in a "we won" t-shirt sometime in 2060 ? It'd be a bit like someone here in Ireland being seen wearing a USA 94 t-shirt!

Advertisement