Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pigeon Problems - advice needed

Options
  • 14-05-2007 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

My Mum lives in a terraced house in North Dublin.

Her house is about a foot lower than her next door neighbours and for the last eight months, has had pigeons nesting in the space between the two houses.

My Mum is generally a bird lover, but unfortunately, the pigeons have soiled both cars in the driveway and her new lovely cobblelock driveway (daily occurrence).

We were advised that a menacing owl statue would deter the pigeons, and bought the ugliest menacing owl we could find and placed it on the extension in the rear. It too now resembles the Daniel O'Connell St....:(

My Mum became so annoyed she laced some sweetcorn with warfarin, but the pigeons didn't eat it....

Can anyone offer any constructive advice as to how to get rid of these god damn diseased ridden pigeons.

(Sorry, I know this is a nature forum, and this isn't very appreciative of nature)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Lillyella wrote:

My Mum became so annoyed she laced some sweetcorn with warfarin
    Why do you want to kill them? Please don't do this. If the only problem you have is bird sh1t then just wash the car and driveway.

Other species of bird may eat the warfarin and, while I'm not sure, you could be illegaly killing birds that are protected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

The smaller birds wouldn't be able to eat the sweetcorn apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Plenty of other birds will be able to eat the sweetcorn so I'd put the warfarin away. When the young fledglings eventually leave the nest then arrange to remove the nest and keep an eye on the same spot and do what you can to prevent them from nesting there again. Be careful though, wood pidgeons can have up to 3 clutches per year so it will be well into the summer before the last fledgling of the season leaves the nest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

buy an eagle

Advertisement