Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual Sim

• 14-05-2007 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭

Ok guys i have a few sim cards lying around with credit on them.I dont want to carry around 2 phones and dont want to cut them.
    What im looking for is a dual sim that i can put my normal and spare sim into it and use it.I dont want the dual sim things that i need to cut my simcard as its too much hassle
    Hope someone here can help me as i think i see a thread asking the same question before.Im looking for something like this but something that actually works and thats been tested by someone here as i dont want to waste time and money

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4usein-NOKIA-7210-7250-6610-TWIN-DUAL-SIM-3-30-incship_W0QQitemZ260114783350QQihZ016QQcategoryZ67966QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Hi Drdre,

The dual sim on the link you posted looks good.. i think the biggest problem will be getting something like that to physically fit in to whatever phone your using.. What kind of phone do you want to use it in?..
    Side note are the sims O2 or Voda? ..Have you thought about sim cloning..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

JohnnieM wrote:
    Hi Drdre,

The dual sim on the link you posted looks good.. i think the biggest problem will be getting something like that to physically fit in to whatever phone your using.. What kind of phone do you want to use it in?..
    Side note are the sims O2 or Voda? ..Have you thought about sim cloning..?

The problem is i change my phone nearly every week.So i wont just have 1 phone.

Well in that case sim clone is perfect one phone and up to 8 numbers ... do you use O2 or voda?

JohnnieM wrote:
    Well in that case sim clone is perfect one phone and up to 8 numbers ... do you use O2 or voda?
    I have o2, meteor and vodafone sim's :)

Im only using the credit for a while then throwing them away as ive had for ages and rather just have the one sim card.So i dont want hassle of cloning.
    I just need a dual sim adapter that actually works as theres loads out there that dont work
    Thanks

Oh Ok.. Try this http://ucables.com/dualsims

Few different types here to fit various phones you could get lucky and pick on ethat may fit a couple of different models.. they seem to low on stock at the moment... I buy a a good bit of stuff from these guys and they are very good..when you register an interest in a item they will mail you when it becomes available again..

John

• Advertisement

2 years ago ..I went to Tunisia on Hols.. flippin O2 phone (billpay)wouldn't work.. thank god for my sim clone Voda switched over happy days.. laugh..
    always handy to have a spare number.maybe dont throw those sims away yet..keep them in a drawer.. especially if they are older sims ..easier to clone..

JohnnieM wrote:
    Oh Ok.. Try this http://ucables.com/dualsims

Few different types here to fit various phones you could get lucky and pick on ethat may fit a couple of different models.. they seem to low on stock at the moment... I buy a a good bit of stuff from these guys and they are very good..when you register an interest in a item they will mail you when it becomes available again..

John

Thanks, im just going to bid on this as its cheaper and lets see what happens.Hope it works

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-In-1-GSM-Dual-Twin-SIM-Card-Adapter-for-Nokia-Phone_W0QQitemZ150122792108QQihZ005QQcategoryZ67966QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi,
    was just about to post a thread asking the same thing.

I'm with o2 at the moment and have a SE K610im, which I think is a great phone and don't want to have to carry two phones around either, but I want to get a prepay meteor sim as well as keeping my prepay o2. The K610im is locked to o2 and I'd like both to be active at the same time, as in if somebody rings either number, it will get through to me. Is this possible or do you have to choose one or the other?

What would be the best option for me? I'll be using the same phone and sim cards all the time so no need to worry about changing any of that stuff. Willing to spend a good bit as it'll most likely be cheaper than buying a new meteor phone with bluetooth as I need bluetooth on both.

Any feedback appreciated:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

I've read elsewhere that cloning most of the more recent SIMs is almost impossible, and there's a risk of destroying them in the attempt, so I'd be interested to hear a little more.

Dual SIM adaptors seem to have different places for the leads coming out, depending which phone they are to be used in. And as you've almost remarked already, they aren't reputed to be all that reliable, which is why quite a few dealers gave up selling them years ago. Maybe it's quite easy to damage the leads if swapping fairly often.

Only one number is active at a time when using these adaptors. Recently there are apparently some phones appearing from China that have what is effectively two phones in the same case, but I haven't seen any feedback yet on using one.

Overall, I'd stick with two phones. For me, it's more flexible anyway, like using one phone to set up callback to another when roaming abroad.

Partly deriving from remarks above, does anyone have an old O2 SIM they'd give away or swap for one or two UK ones?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I use that exact adapter in an XDA2s Drdre with a meteor and vodafone sim.
    Works great.To switch between sims you just turn the phone off and it selects the first sim--to switch turn phone off again.
    One tip--make both pin numbers the same :) as you cant tell which sim its selecting on startup.
    The adapter is fairly slim aswell--no problems with it fitting under the cover of the xda but on a v800 it was a bit tight getting the cover closed.
    HTH
    Richie.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote:
    I use that exact adapter in an XDA2s Drdre with a meteor and vodafone sim.
    Works great.To switch between sims you just turn the phone off and it selects the first sim--to switch turn phone off again.
    One tip--make both pin numbers the same :) as you cant tell which sim its selecting on startup.
    The adapter is fairly slim aswell--no problems with it fitting under the cover of the xda but on a v800 it was a bit tight getting the cover closed.
    HTH
    Richie.

Thanks alot, I will mainly be using it in a nokia 6310i and maybe other nokia phones.I will just get it and see if it works if not its ony 6-7 euro but worth a try. I should have it early next week as its coming from asia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Does anyone know if these work with 3? I've read that they don't. I wanna use my 3 sim for data only, and keep my meteor sim active most of the time for calls. I don't wanna spend money on something that doesn't work from the get go.

Does anyone know if these work with 3? I've read that they don't. I wanna use my 3 sim for data only, and keep my meteor sim active most of the time for calls. I don't wanna spend money on something that doesn't work from the get go.
    Well the only way to find out is buy one like i did.Its only 5-6 euro and if ti works you will be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i'm fairly sure the one linked above:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-In-1-GSM-Dual-Twin-SIM-Card-Adapter-for-Nokia-Phone_W0QQitemZ150122792108QQihZ005QQcategoryZ67966QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is the one i bought before. if it is, then it doesn't work with 3g sim cards. ask the seller before you buy it

i'm fairly sure the one linked above:

is the one i bought before. if it is, then it doesn't work with 3g sim cards. ask the seller before you buy it

this is the one i bought, its the same as commander mentioned but its cheaper.
    Commander do you still use yours.Is it easy to use and what phone have you tried it with?

andy0 wrote:
    I've read elsewhere that cloning most of the more recent SIMs is almost impossible, and there's a risk of destroying them in the attempt, so I'd be interested to hear a little more.

thats true the more recent ones are very difficult... New Voda and meteor as far as I know are impossible.. I even tried one (meteor that is)two years ago and I corrupted it..

drdre wrote:
    this is the one i bought, its the same as commander mentioned but its cheaper.
    Commander do you still use yours.Is it easy to use and what phone have you tried it with?
    it didn't work so i threw it out. i just remember reading at the time that it didn't work with 3g cards

it didn't work so i threw it out. i just remember reading at the time that it didn't work with 3g cards

Does it work it normal sims :rolleyes:

drdre wrote:
    Does it work it normal sims :rolleyes:
    no i knew at the time that it didn't work with 3g sims. i was using it with 2g sims

no i knew at the time that it didn't work with 3g sims. i was using it with 2g sims

it should work for me as i have a 2g o2 sim.So hopefully should work.I will check it once it comes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

http://cgi.ebay.ie/2-In-1-GSM-Dual-Twin-SIM-Card-Adapter-for-Mobile-Phone_W0QQitemZ130131014021QQihZ003QQcategoryZ68031QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bought one of these a few weeks ago. A fiver all in which is great!
    Wanted it for my N91 but it won't work. Works fine in my business phone though - Nokia 3120. So I'd say similar phones will be grand.
    It fits perfectly in the N91 too but keep getting an error after putting in PIN code. Ah well, work phone will do. Im getting anew one so hope it works with that!

Isn't it crazy that the major manufacturers havent mass produced a dual sim phone yet...ridiculous.

there is dual sim phones on the market.My dual sim adapter didnt work so it was a waste of time. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Dre... I'll take it off u if ur not using it... Will give it a bash n my phones n see if it works

unklerosco wrote:
    Dre... I'll take it off u if ur not using it... Will give it a bash n my phones n see if it works

Its not working i tried it in 3 phones a 6310i and a 8600 and also i had a n95 and it didnt work.The cable is abit ripped from trying it afew times.So i dont think its worth anything.Best thing for you to do is get a cheap one from ebay for 3-4 euro and see if it works for you as many people on here said it doesnt work

drdre wrote:
    there is dual sim phones on the market.My dual sim adapter didnt work so it was a waste of time. :(
    Im referring to the likes of Nokia and Sony Eriksson

Im referring to the likes of Nokia and Sony Eriksson

Ah alright,I havent seen any model out yet.I will ask a friend who works in nokia to check if any model is coming out soon.He said theres amazing phones coming this christmas.I cant wait.:)

cool Would love to know if they're in the pipeline.
    Have been looking at phones like these...

http://cgi.ebay.ie/MINI-DUAL-SIM-V2-A2DP-Bluetooth-Camera-MP3-Mobile-Phone_W0QQitemZ250139567188QQihZ015QQcategoryZ3312QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ie/D66-Dual-Sim-Bluetooth-3-Touch-Screen-Phone-1GB-Memory_W0QQitemZ150138590410QQihZ005QQcategoryZ3312QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...which have both sims online at once. no switching. Very good price too by the look of it. Thing is, they're just x-brand products from China and Korea. Who knows what the quality will be like. May be a bit of a risk.
    Anyone bought anything similar??

They even have a range of 'Nokla' phones!! Check out the new Nokla N95:D :D -
    http://search.ebay.ie/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=nokla+n95&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&floc=1&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=3%26fsoo%3D2&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

Advertisement