Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M1 Cyclist

Options
  • 14-05-2007 7:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

I've seen some mad things on the roads in my time, but what I saw this morning beats them all. Coming up the M1 this morning, I had to slap myself in the face to make sure I wasnt seeing things ... there was a cyclist going up on the shoulder of the right hand lane, (yes...right hand), of the M1 near the Donabate exit! He seemed to be completely oblivious to cars passing him at high speed. I was trying to figure out why he was there and the only explanation I can think of is that further up the road was one of those areas of tarmac joing both motorway lanes with bollards in the middle, so maybe he wanted to cross the road. Some people have no brains.... :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There was a jogger on it last week running southbound on the northbound carriageway. I gave the cops a bell and in fairness, a unit was dispatched straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Should have done that myself Wishbone...good thinking there. Although he'd probably be gone by the time they got there... that or be part of M1 road surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

There was a moped in front of me yesterday with two people and a load of luggage. I couldn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not the M1, but I regularly see people walking along the hard shoulder and cycling on the M11, and my wife sees some gobsh!te nearly every morning running across both carriageways to the hard shoulder on the other side where he gets picked up by a transit van.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,747 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Alun wrote:
    Not the M1, but I regularly see people walking along the hard shoulder and cycling on the M11, and my wife sees some gobsh!te nearly every morning running across both carriageways to the hard shoulder on the other side where he gets picked up by a transit van.
    by the enniskerry exit? I pass him every morning too, either just before or just after his little jog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

Was driving down the M1 from Belfast yesterday, coming past Dundalk a DUREX landed on my windscreen :eek: . It appeared used.... and needless to say the wipers didnt help the situation :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tauren wrote:
    by the enniskerry exit? I pass him every morning too, either just before or just after his little jog.
    After that, I think, southbound just after where it changes from N11 to M11. The missus says she's seen a few near misses with cars in the overtaking lane having to brake violently to avoid hitting him. She took the registration number of the van that was waiting and phoned the Bray Gardai about it, who didn't seem to be that concerned to be honest, and if they did contact him, which I doubt, it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

About 3 weeks ago, Sunday evening ~8.00pm, I passed a guy riding a mountain bike down the southbound hard shoulder of the M1. He was just ambling along, watching the scenery to his left hand side. The mind really boggles with this type of dime-bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

It might be worth pointing out that the section between Collins Avenue and the Port Tunnel portals is no longer the M1, but the N1. I cycle that part regularly and get flashing lights and bus drivers roaring out doors while driving past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

This morning at 8.23 I spotted a Garda Landcruiser that had a cyclist pulled in just before the turn off for the airport on M1 heading northbound. Saturday night, 10.13 I saw a guy on a bicycle taking an exit from the M50. Mongo didn't even have lights. I would laugh if he got run over. FACT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Its not a motorway I know, but I regularly see people sprinting across the 100 km/h dual-carriageway section of the N3 beyond Blanchardstown :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Was driving down the M1 from Belfast yesterday, coming past Dundalk a DUREX landed on my windscreen :eek: . It appeared used.... and needless to say the wipers didnt help the situation :rolleyes:

FPMSL ! Possibly one of the funniest posts on the forum in ages :D

Question though, how did you know it was durex lol

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sizzler wrote:
    FPMSL ! Possibly one of the funniest posts on the forum in ages :D

Question though, how did you know it was durex lol

I agree!! You shouldve turned it inside out and brought it home. Waste not, want not... :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

There was a jogger on it last week running southbound on the northbound carriageway. I gave the cops a bell and in fairness, a unit was dispatched straight away.
    Did they ask you if you were using a handsfree while calling them?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Skyuser wrote:
    They never ask if a caller is 'hands free'. Why would they? A caller is hardly going to say 'yes, I'm holding a phone right now, please hurry along and arrest me'. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Skyuser wrote:

There's always one isn't there... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

I knew it was a Durex cos it was on my mindscreen until i made it too the toll bridge soi had plenty of time to view it :( Scraped it off using a stick.... When i turned on the whipers justa fter it landed it not only 'smudged' the windscreen but it kinda got tangled in my whipers lol :ee

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

FX Meister wrote:
    This morning at 8.23 I spotted a Garda Landcruiser that had a cyclist pulled in just before the turn off for the airport on M1 heading northbound. Saturday night, 10.13 I saw a guy on a bicycle taking an exit from the M50. Mongo didn't even have lights. I would laugh if he got run over. FACT

no accounting for muppets on the road :)
    why the precise times? :) get a new snazzy watch lately ;)

Advertisement