Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detecting Wireless Broadband

Options
  • 14-05-2007 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask.. but here goes...

I am looking to buy a site to build a house around Virginia in Co. Cavan and I would to check that the site would be able to access wireless broadband before I make a decision to purchase.

Is there any sort of equipment I can coble together in conjunction with a laptop in order to test the presence of wireless broadband signals ?

One particular site I am looking at does have access to mains electric as there is a pumping station...

thanks in advance !

baud.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Binoculars?

I'm not sure if there is a way to detect it other than seeing if you can see it as even if there is a singal, it might not be strong enough for you to recieve it because of obstructions like trees etc... which was the case when we were trying to get Last Mile broadband. The person trying to get us LOS was using binoculars to find the mast so I assume its the handiest way. If you can't see it, you can't get it approach.

Last Mile for example have a list of sites that their masts are on, on their website so you could see where the nearest one is and then look in that general direction. Some other operators have similar, some don't but you can contact them (Ice Broadband) for example and they'll tell you if they are in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Real WISPs, as rather than local self help use licenced frequencies (all different) and widely different equipments. So unless you have 18,000 Euro Spectrum analyser and correct aerial, or else the actual ISPs gear, with a registered test account you can't tell if there is a signal.

None of the Wireless Broadband suppliers can 100% know in advance without an install.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Thanks Watty,

Nice straight answer... I guess I will check for LOS using...... the binoculars !!

lmao !

best regards, baud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

watty wrote:
    So unless you have 18,000 Euro Spectrum analyser

I got to see one of them at Dyspan, man their deadly little things, I really want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

watty wrote:
    Real WISPs, as rather than local self help use licenced frequencies (all different) and widely different equipments.

Watty, you of all people should know better than to post this tripe, there are 3 licenced frquency ranges available, 3.5Ghz,10.5Ghz and 26Ghz, suitably protected by Comreg's "donoughts", and large swathes of country where no licences will be issued. In those "donoughts" there are thousands of people who have wireless broadband from the "non real" WISP's utilising the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz unlicenced bands
    None of the Wireless Broadband suppliers can 100% know in advance without an install.

They could, if they went to the time and expense of carrying out proper signal tests, but why should they, only "non real" WISP's would bother their ass doing that.

jbkenn

"Non Real" WISP's, Bob Hope, No Hope, and we're their Only Hope

• Advertisement

No commercial ISP does a signal test in advance of an firm order.

Even operators on same frequency band are quite often at different channels and different kinds of modulation / equipment. There is no generic equipment outside of ISM bands other than a Spectrum Analyser.

You can tell mostly if you definately CAN NOT get it. But withing service areas only an actual order followed by test/install will tell you.

You may not always identify the correct mast. Sometimes an Installer finds a different mast from the expected one works.

I'm not sure which part of what I posted was tripe. The OP asked what can be done with a laptop and in terms of commercial rather than self help WiFi schemes, nothing.

In terms of roof dish and external WiFi aerial + airpoint client/Bridge I can find many, many WiFi signals. One almost 9km away. None provide Internet access.

If there is a WiFi based self help group you still don't need anything for your own laptop to test as they know which signal is theirs and will generally be glad to come and test as they are mostly "hobby or enthusiasts".

I think it was the way you implied that WISP's operating in the unlicensed bands arn't real ISP's, that set him off on a rant.

ISP's on unlicenced bands may or may not be real, but they certainly can't guarentee that someone nearby quite legally adding their own airpoint won't wipe out their signal. Or indeed you may not be able to operate your own airpoint base for WiFi.

I know that many work hard to provide a vital service that would otherwise be unavailable. Some "real" ISPs don't offer brilliant service either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

hi guys it seems eircom are doing broadband tests in my area, i live about 3 miles from the mast which is situated on top a mountain, 3 locals are testing the signal for eircom is there any way that i could (er) test this signal,

old boy wrote:
    hi guys it seems eircom are doing broadband tests in my area, i live about 3 miles from the mast which is situated on top a mountain, 3 locals are testing the signal for eircom is there any way that i could (er) test this signal,

Same story as watty outlined for the Orginal poster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

The easiest/best way would be to ask one of the lads doing the testing , unless you know someone with ($$$) gear .

Boston wrote:
    I think it was the way you implied that WISP's operating in the unlicensed bands arn't real ISP's, that set him off on a rant.

I suppose its hard not to be touchy/ranty when ....
    watty wrote:
    ..they certainly can't guarentee that somebody nearby quiet legally adding their own airpoint won't wipe out their signal

and cheeky Eircom enabling exchanges in places just a week or two after you go to the trouble and expense of putting up a base station .

What we needed during Ph1 & Ph2 of the original GBS was lots of believable fake GBS highly publicised :)

However given length of rural lines, never mind pair gains and quality, we definately need wireless EVEN inside those DSL circles on the NBS map. That NBS is a classic fudge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

watty wrote:
    What we needed during Ph1 & Ph2 of the original GBS was lots of believable fake GBS highly publicised :)

You're on the ball there , thats just what we got .

Advertisement