Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more nutty public sector union behaviour!!

Options
  • 14-05-2007 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭

I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming when I heard this one on Newstalk this morning:

apparently the Dept of Social and Family Affairs implemented a new computer system last July which was supposed to streamline administration etc. However it has caused a fairly major stuff-up for pensioners in that many new applicant for the old age pension haven't received their money yet (the number is disputed but seems to be somewhere between 10-14,000 OAPs who are affected).

So far, so standard. Another public sector IT screwup, very annoying for the pensioners who are affected. Seamus Brennan is doing his usual act of promising the sun, moon and stars but nothing has yet been sorted out.

However, then the Assistant Secretary General (gotta love these pseudo-Stalinist job titles) of the Civil and Public Servants Union then came on the air and said that they were balloting their members for industrial action! Why? Because 'they are having to answer extra phone calls' in order to answer the poor OAPs queries about when the mess will be sorted!

Am I the only one who finds this totally surreal and an indicator that the public service is a land where reality rarely intrudes? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Am I the only one who finds this totally surreal and an indicator that the public service is a land where reality rarely intrudes? :confused:

Just be grateful they haven't stress leave due to all this 'work'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and suggest that maybe they're ticked off at how long it's taking to fix and at all the abuse they're getting because of it. Presumably they've tried to pass the message upwards that it needs to be fixed and they're not listening so they're using the age-old civil service tactic of putting weight behind their message: striking.

I know very little about the situation though so I could be completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,994 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

markpb wrote:
    they're using the age-old civil service tactic of putting weight behind their message: striking
    Based on the info the OP has provided, they intend to ballot for 'industrial action'. No mention was made of a strike.

the Assistant Secretary General (gotta love these pseudo-Stalinist job titles) of the Civil and Public Servants Union
    Apologies for being pedantic but the title is "Assistant General Secretary" not Assistant Secretary General. ;) (Newstalk may have got it wrong).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

markpb wrote:
    I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and suggest that maybe they're ticked off at how long it's taking to fix and at all the abuse they're getting because of it.

yes, this is exactly why

and my answer is 'so what?'

people get abuse from their customers all the time in the private sector and don't take industrial action over it. I feel sick imagining that my taxes are going to pay people's salaries who think this kind of behaviour is acceptable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming when I heard this one on Newstalk this morning:
    However, then the Assistant Secretary General (gotta love these pseudo-Stalinist job titles) of the Civil and Public Servants Union then came on the air and said that they were balloting their members for industrial action! Why? Because 'they are having to answer extra phone calls' in order to answer the poor OAPs queries about when the mess will be sorted!

do they have enough people to answer all these calls? you now what it like when you swamped at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

do they have enough people to answer all these calls? you now what it like when you swamped at work.

yes, you work hard and help to clear the backlog

you don't decide to down tools!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Why? Because 'they are having to answer extra phone calls' in order to answer the poor OAPs queries about when the mess will be sorted!
    Well that's the reason he gave.

A cynic might see this as a precursor to a demand for a hefty bonus payment to clear the backlog. I mean clearing the backlog during working hours might mean having to work though elevenses :eek:. Claire Byrne pretty much tiptoed around asking him this.

No cynics around these here parts thankfully.

From experience, I know that issues like this only come to a head after extensive attempts to get the employer to address the problem.

It is unfair to compare a private sector problem with one in the public sector. Private sector employers are much more open to change especially if it affects profit. (I work in both public and private sectors so I can do some comparison). Private sector managers are also much more autonomous and can hire extra staff more easily, especially on a short term basis. They are not subject to embargos, open competition or political interference that public sector employers are.
    people get abuse from their customers all the time in the private sector and don't take industrial action over it
    If they don't wish to do anything about it then that is their loss but it shouldn't be used as a comparison for others. What would you prefer - a race to the bottom? .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The only thing I would ask the Public Service to do is give us value for money.

At the moment its anything but that,although there are some excellent Depts.

Unfortunately as El Stunt has outlined all it takes in one yorick in a union position to stir up the shyte and the hardliners will always rally to the cause.

hardliners who if they were asked to do an honest days work would collapse in a heap in a dead faint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

So the Dept **** up and it goes on for 6 months and the issue is not just that people are getting angry phone calls the issue is that thousands of pensioners are not getting there entitlements in a timely manner.
    The union is probably trying to highlight the issue in order to get the people who should be dealing with this off their arses.
    People have compared the situation to the private sector but the truth is that if it was the private sector the management would be out of jobs if they allowed a situation to continue where their customers were waiting for months for service.
    Can you imagine a situation where the checkout operators in Aldi had to threaten strike because the tills had not worked properly for 6 months causing long queues in the shop NO because it would not happen but some how people think it is OK for pensioners to be left waiting for months for their pensions no the scandal is a trade union trying to highlight the issue honestly some people are so anti union they can't see the wood for the trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I would imagine they would say "why?, we didn't cause this mess"

Would you expect the workers on a factory assembly line for Nike or BMW to work extra hours because the company management messed up?

You seem to be slightly missing the point of a "union." A union is there to protect the workers from the managment screwing them over. The management f**ked up, they should find a way to deal with it, not simply lump it into the hands of the workers at ground level who have no power to actually do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

complete and utter nonsense where do you guys get these idealogical scripts from. the poeple in sligo don't have the resources to deal with the problem, they don't have the answers for the pernsioners coming in, so they getting it in the neck from all directions and they have to force the managment to admit the problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Why don't tehy do what every other Civil Servant does. Ignore the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Mick86 wrote:
    Why don't tehy do what every other Civil Servant does. Ignore the phone.
    Because your statement is abusive and untrue & because like any decent person, they want to do a good job and to be provided with the means to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

So a Union highlights problems with a computer system that doesn't work, leading to non payment of pensions and massive increase of work for their members, and it's the Unions fault? This is just bizarre logic.

The decisions of which (no doubt private) consultants would be used and the development of the system would've been the responsibility of the senior management. God forbid the right wing posters would actually blame them and the Minister in charge rather than shooting the messengers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I will have to side with the workers on this one.

probably frustrated about lack of action/incompetence/and inability of management to solve the problem.

doesn't let the public service off the hook though, It's the same old story.

people should be let go for gross incompetence,

Advertisement