Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nocturnal Studying?

Options
  • 14-05-2007 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

So basically, Im planning to give studying at night a go. I am not a morning person and I seem to do my best work when the house is quiet and theres nothing to see out the window. So is anyone else using this method? find it effective?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

depends what you mean by nocturnal.... it certainly has its advantages... but do you mean after say... 10:30/11pm? into the early hours? could work, but remember the exams are on in the morning so it mite take some re-readjusting after

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Depends on what really. I'd never do it on a schoolday, cos I normally go to bed early anyway. But maybe sometimes I'd do some late night Maths, or something that I know well, but just want to go over it again quickly. In that situation, the time wont bother me. Wouldnt try and do it for something difficult or continuisly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Replacing sleep with study is not advisable.
    Seems like study while tired would be a bad idea, but sure people work differently and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Im most productive studying late at night myself. Nothing good on TV, no-one is on boards, its dark out, the house is quiet. All very conducive to study, I'd do it permanently only for Im wrecked in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I find I am a lot more calm or relaxed when studying later in the night and it works. Not that I am worried or anxious during the day so I'm not sure how to explain it :D

• Advertisement

Less **** to distract you I guess

I think the most important thing is... the suns not out.

My brother always studies (those rare times he does study) into the early hours. It's a crammers thing usually.... Works for him though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Assez Bien

Study at night is the only way 2 go 4 me unfortunately.....all the loud annoyin kids that live around r in bed.....or out robbin cars n stuf elswhere so it quiet also i'm a bit of an insomniac so it works well!! Tho if i had 2 b up b4 quarter 2 nine in d mornin i cud die!!

Assez Bien wrote:
    Tho if i had 2 b up b4 quarter 2 nine in d mornin i cud die!!

yeah it's a killer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

I usually get up at around half 4/5 o' clock in the morning and try to get around two hours study in before school. I get loads done! I am terrible in the night time. My whole system just shuts down at around ten and there is no ponit in opening a book!:o

• Advertisement

Quarter to nine is getting up early for me! Usually 9:05, scoil starts at 9:25, so plenty of time. I pity those country folk that have to get up at the unearthly hour of 7am.

I usually get up at around half 4/5 o' clock in the morning and try to get around two hours study in before school. I get loads done! I am terrible in the night time. My whole system just shuts down at around ten and there is no ponit in opening a book!:o

****!

cson wrote:
    I pity those country folk that have to get up at the unearthly hour of 7am.

I know! How do they do it?!!?! It's crazy

cson wrote:
    Quarter to nine is getting up early for me! Usually 9:05, scoil starts at 9:25, so plenty of time. I pity those country folk that have to get up at the unearthly hour of 7am.

It wouldn't b any harm 2 u gtn up at 8.45 r so ........u might b a bit more easy on the eye!!!;) :p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

I usually can't go much further than 10pm. I'm always shattered by that stage and it's seldom when I even study until 10pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I am up for school at around 7:00 AM usually
    However in saying that, I dont think I have gotten up any earlier than 12:00PM on weekends, bar a few occurances in the last two years:D
    It doesn't help that I could be up till 4AM on weekends doing non school related stuff.
    I study until 12:00 most nights but that doesent mean I study much throughout the day:/
    Time to change my "Evil" ways:D

Assez Bien wrote:
    It wouldn't b any harm 2 u gtn up at 8.45 r so ........u might b a bit more easy on the eye!!!;) :p;)

Getting up earlier ain't gonna make a whole lot of difference to that :D
    Anyway, says your wan who hardly ever comes in in the mornings herself!
    Naikon wrote:
    I am up for school at around 7:00 AM usually

May the lord have mercy on your soul. :eek:

I had to that for one week once and I nearly died.

cson wrote:
    Getting up earlier ain't gonna make a whole lot of difference to that :D
    Anyway, says your wan who hardly ever comes in in the mornings herself!

Excuse me dats not my fault....it takes a while 2 luk as gud as i do u no.....wks 4 some ppl! I'm always in 4 d classes we sit 2gether in jus cause i no u'd b heartbroken witout me, i do it all 4 u!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

I usually can't go much further than 10pm. I'm always shattered by that stage and it's seldom when I even study until 10pm.

Caffeine. Pure and simple. A good cup of coffee should keep you going full pace for about an hour r so. Then u take a break to go down and make urself another one. If needs be you can keep going all night! (im normally nor arsed after about 9 o'clock or so myself!)

nick23 wrote:
    Caffeine. Pure and simple. A good cup of coffee should keep you going full pace for about an hour r so. Then u take a break to go down and make urself another one. If needs be you can keep going all night! (im normally nor arsed after about 9 o'clock or so myself!)
    Does that only apply to coffee, or does tae have the same effect? I ****ing hate coffee...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

What you gonna do if you get into the habit of studying at night, sleeping during the day, then the exams roll along and you've to get up early to sit them? Your brain probably won't function right.

(Sorry if someone else posted this, didn't read much.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I thought about changing my sleep pattern so as that I could take the exams in what was (relative to my own sleep pattern) late evening because that's when I'm most productive/focused but it just seemed like too much work...

Studies have shown that teenagers definitely are more capable of study late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Quite an intresting thread this one! Its good to see what time different people find best for studying. Myself, I am a morning man, though I don't quite go to the lengths of a 5 am start. 40-45mins on one subject from 07:30-08:15 is the usual routine Mon-Thurs. Fri I stay in bed to make up for staying out late until silly hours in the morning!

I find also that I get tired in the evening after about 9pm I loose concentration etc. Studying when its dark outside is better for some reason!

Sweet jesus, coffee does do the business. Still tastes like ****e but I've managed to get all the subjects done in a schoolday for the first time in ages...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Coffee tastes gooooooood.

I LOVE coffee... but nick, your advice is completely stupid. Think about it anyone with a brain.... If needs be I'l explain what I mean but I'm too tired now

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Guys I think I explained myself poorly.
    I dont mean doing a days work then studying late into the night only to get up early and start all over again, coz thats a surefire way to the hospital.

I dont really go to school anymore so my dastardly plan is to study from about 9.00 pm til about 4.00 am (with regular breaks of course!) and then go to bed in the morning, sleep through the day and get up about 7.00 pm.

This seems most effective for me as I study most efficiently without distraction at night. I know this will need to be reversed at least a week before the LC starts to shift the body clock back, but I figure theres only 3 weeks left so at least 2 solid weeks of efficient study is better than 2 weeks of getting up and walking around, talking to family, watching t.v etc. Thoughts? This system working for anyone at the mo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Does that only apply to coffee, or does tae have the same effect? I ****ing hate coffee...
    Tea wouldn't be as effective but it would work.

I find it very strange how dependant all you seem to be on caffine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm normally up for school at 7 aswell. After 6 years, I'm kinda used to it. Unfortunately then on the weekends, I'm normally awake at about 8. Damn internal body clock. At least i'm in study mode now, so i might get more done earlier on the Saturdays/Sundays. At the moment, I still have some history study to do(surprise of all surprises /sarcasm), and this would be nocturnal studying for me in most cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 quacks

Find night study the most productive myself, the problem is I have to get up at 7:15ish for school,(it's optional to go in or not but we haven't finished the course in a few subjects).
    Find that when I get home from shool, despite good intentions, I do very little, normally just end up poping outside for half an hour, then 30 mins work till I'm up again just pootering about:( But then I can work quite efficiently from around 8pm till 12 or so.

Advertisement