Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro says licenced firearms holders are violent Criminals

Options
  • 14-05-2007 10:48am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Scanning ATM but its ashort snip in one of the margins saying that research supports Irelands Violent Gun Crime image due to there being 220,000 licenced firearms and 15,000 in Dublin :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

More "Loony fringe " stuff... Ignore it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Here it is:

save0009az8.th.jpg

1 + 1 = 1,000,000

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

idiots .. so they think its the licenced firearms holders doing all the gun related crime in the country ..f**king fools .... is anyone going to get on to them to sort this out . we have the eye on us enough already ??

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Time for outraged letters! Anyone know which sunday paper they refer to in it? Also who was journalist?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Ill be sending something to the editor anyway:

Email: mail@metroireland.ie

Address:

MailMetro,
    Embassy House,
    Herbert Park Lane,
    Dublin 4

Also:

http://www.metroireland.ie/contact.htm

Editorial Enquiries: editorial@metroireland.ie

Editor: mark.dorman@metroireland.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Ok another one on the way...C'mon folks,a paragraph or two to get these idiots on the path to enlitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Sent to editor of Metro

"I am writing with reference to an article in this mornings Metro which stated that "Guns confirm violence" and using the number of legally held firearms in the state as a metric of the violent crime in the state with specific reference to the number of legally held firearms in the greater Dublin area.

I am interested to know how you came to this conclusion and what statistics you have with respect to the number and types of crimes (violent or otherwise) perpetrated using legally held firearms.

I, personally, find it something of a leap to assume that people who go through the, rather stringent, qualification process to obtain a license and hence a firearm will in some way contribute to the violence of our society as a whole and would like to hear you own view on that topic.

I would also "assume" that An Garda Síochána would not be best pleased to know that you are of the opinion that in their constitutional role as the enforcers of the law and as such the licensing body with respect to firearms, are in some way contributing to the violent downfall of our society.

Ireland is quite a difficult country in which to own a firearm, some states such as Switzerland allow virtually all citizens to hold firearms and it does not see mto have caused their society to deteriorate into anarchy.

I am of the impression, gleaned from the media as a whole, as I thankfully have never been the victim of a violent crime, that there is definitely an increase in the amount crime, perpetrated with illegally held guns, in the state.

I think it is unfair to associate the good people who have taken the time, expense and responsibility to legally obtain their licenses and then firearms, for their relevant sport, with the types of individuals who perpetrate the crimes we see on the news every week.

This would be akin to stating that The Metro and all other Irish newspapers are directly responsible for the destruction of the Amazon rainforests - that is some leap but in my own eyes of a similar scale to that which you have made in your article.

Dear Sir/Madam,

As an owner of sporting firearms I was appalled by your article in this mornings metro which related violent crime to the volume of legally held firearms in the state (with specific reference to Dublin).
    Firearms held under licence in this state are for sporting purposes (be they hunting or target shooting) by highly law abiding and responsible people. Criminals do not seek licenses for firearms nor are they eligible to hold such. Thus I cannot see how you can relate the number of sporting firearms held legally to the illegal violence that has been taking place in the criminal underworld.

What statistic of legally held firearms being used by their legitimate owners have you based this ridiculous assumption on?
    Is there also a statistic available on the amount of illegal attacks with baseball bats, hurleys and other sports equipment relative to the numbers of thier ownership within the state? Can you go further and comment on the menace of ordinary tools such slash hooks and Stanley knives in society?

I look forward to perusing your research.

Kind regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

well done lads ...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

in other news, metro newspaper stirred up some controversy and increased its ad revenue by running yet another article designed to stir up a specific section if society and get them talking about metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

In further news, Metro exposed large numbers of people to the sport of target shooting by printing their letters explaining their sport following an inaccurate article written by Metro to increase circulation. Winners: All.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭seamusgi4szw

C'mon lads, email the buggers !!!!

Hi.
    I have just seen your piece on the spurious connection between legally held firearms and gun violence/crime.
    I am disgusted at this sensational little piece of rubbish as statistics show legally held firearms are rarely used in crime or in acts of violence.
    All applicants for a firearm are screened for suitability to hold firearms and grounds for refusing such are many including, past offences, mental suitability, drug/alcohol abuse, domestic situation, and in some cases, your political outlook.
    I have held firearms for over 25 years and use them in both Pistol and Rifle competition, I have represented my country, my club and myself to the best of my ability and have always classified myself and other shooter as ambassadors of sport where ever we have competed.
    As you can imagine, reading your piece with horror, I am filled with abhorance for this type of sensational writing.

Yours
    Seamus Keenan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Is the image posted by Rew the full article ?

I'd be careful writing back as...
    The article is written in a very sly way.
    the article does not specifically use the words Crime or Criminals.

They could simply say they were on about hunting in society
    being an act of violence as you killed something alive! or
    twist it some other way.

~B

I did drop them a mail though....
    Hello,

>I just read the article Guns Confirm Violence in the metro.
    >It appears to be misleading to anyone reading it.
    >
    >While it does not use the words crime or criminal
    >.it appears to link the Lawfully Registered and Licenced Fireams
    >and their owners in this country with Crime and/or Violence.
    >
    >The Fireams used it crime are typically not Licenced Fireams.
    >
    >The People involved in crimes using Firearms are typically not Owners
    >of legally licenced firearms.
    >
    >You cannot obtain a Licence for a firearm if you have a criminal record.
    >
    >Therefore I fail to see how legally Licenced firearms add to the level
    >of Violence in Society.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

sent an e-mail earlier today

A bit late, but work's been hectic...
    Dear Sir,
    I read with dismay the article in Monday's Metro entitled "Guns confirm Violence".

I refer you to the Dail questions that the National Target Shooting Association have asked in the past of the Minister for Justice, seeking proof of the anonymously made allegation that stolen licensed firearms were being used in crime. The response was that the Gardai did not track such things, and that the Minister was of the opinion, as were the Gardai, that licensed firearms in Ireland were not of any concern to the public safety.

Given that we have been engaged in competitive target shooting in Ireland since 1840 without injury, a claim that can't be made about most other sports unless you take 1840 to mean "just after dinnertime this evening", we were somewhat unsurprised by this answer. We remain surprised, however, at the number of times the claim is put forward by anonymous sources, and by the number of times it is printed by newspapers without being checked for accuracy.

That a serious problem with gun crime exists is not up for debate. It is a fact. It is likewise a fact that our rising problem of gun violence is caused by feuds between illegal drug gangs which threaten all of us in the general public. Legitimate Olympic and other sports, legitimate hunting and legitimate agricultural use of firearms, all of which are licensed and controlled more strictly than in any other country in the EU, is not only not the problem; the expertise of those in these areas is a vital resource for fixing the problem. The NTSA has given the Minister for Justice a proposal to reform firearms licensing that would increase the amount of control and information that the Department of Justice and the Gardai have over licensed firearms holders; while simultaneously reducing Garda workload by over 92%, freeing up several tens of thousands of Garda man-hours for the fight against gun crime, and freeing up several tens of thousands of our man-hours to pursue an Olympic gold medal for Ireland in Bejing.

Yours in Sport,

--
    Mark Dennehy, Secretary
    National Target Shooting Association ltd.

good job as both rep for the NTSA and a member of the overall shooting community.

I think its nice mentioning the hunters and non competitive target shooters. You didn't have to but you did and I salute you for this. If every party took this approach I believe it would be a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

D3aR M3tr0

tank u for your art ickle

Mr. Crow

I think its nice mentioning the hunters and non competitive target shooters.
    Thanks veg, though I feel somewhat unsure about it - it was a bit close to the "stepping on toes" line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Sparks wrote:
    unless you take 1840 to mean "just after dinnertime this evening", w.

Thought that bit was funny! (As in I liked it...rather than it being odd)

~B

• Advertisement

I think it was exactly the right balance tbh

You stated facts you weren't giving opinions for a body you don't represent so its all good :D

As for Victor :confused:

Herald AM is the other "free sheet". Any sense in banging in a letter to them bashing the Metro?

Pity about the metro though. Used to enjoy reading it in the traffic jams. Still, still need something to light the fire and wipe my ar*se with:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

jaycee wrote:
    More "Loony fringe " stuff... Ignore it.

Would you ignore someone who wrongly accused you of a crime?
    This type of printed garbage only causes hassle for shooting sports and does nothing to educate the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Riggser wrote:
    Would you ignore someone who wrongly accused you of a crime?
    This type of printed garbage only causes hassle for shooting sports and does nothing to educate the population.

No , of course not..
    But where's the accusation ...?

I fully agree with your judgment that these are "Printed Garbage" I would further add that this sort of trash thrives on sensational headlines with no substance behind them. I have no respect for them and therefore consider them unworthy of a response which may only serve to prolong their goldfish like attention span.

Publications of this nature have little interest in facts ..only circulation numbers , If they think they hit a raw nerve what's to prevent them issuing a follow up under the heading "Gun nut's angry response"...

I'm not suggesting that we ignore all negative comments , but that in cases like this we just let it die a natural death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

i feel so threatened

sorry the what paper???

i think that deals with the issue

maglite wrote:
    i feel so threatened

sorry the what paper???

i think that deals with the issue

It must be a Dublin ting !!!! Don't read it in South Armagh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

It must be a Dublin ting !!!! Don't read it in South Armagh :)

Its a free "rag" that gets shoved in your face when you go to from the train in the morning!!!

newby.204 wrote:
    Its a free "rag" that gets shoved in your face when you go to from the train in the morning!!!

For Gods sake don't tell them you are working your way up to shooting Bambies, heh heh

C ya :rolleyes:

Few replies printed today. Mine got cut short but others good. Unable to upload scan. Sorry.

• Advertisement

Scan coming up...

Advertisement