Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mists of Avalon - Marionn Zimmer Bradley

Options
  • 14-05-2007 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wondering if you have read the above book? What did you think of it...especially within the sphere of this board?

I just finished reading it again after about 5 years since I first picked up a copy. i thought it gave a very good 'idea' of what a matriarchical society/religious system was about.

Does anybody know of anything similar exisiting out there now? Would be really interested to hear experiences in terms of 'a' goddess movement or practice. Or just views!

Surion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

In terms of what appears to be a Goddesscentric belief system or one that include a Goddess or something specific to Avalon ?

http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=usny&c=trads&id=4637
    The Avalonian Tradition

The Sisterhood of Avalon is an International Celtic Women's Mysteries Organization that seeks to balance Intuitive Wisdom with Scholastic Achievement. The SOA is composed of Hearths, Solitaries, and Nine Sister Circles that focus on research and teaching. The Sisterhood was founded by Jhenah Telyndru in 1995 as a reflection of her Avalonian study which began in earnest in 1988. With a focus on research and teaching, the SOA was established to serve as a receptacle of lore and wisdom for all aspects of the study of Avalon, as well as to act as a medium for community building for all who are beckoned to her shores. Over time, it has evolved to become a Sisterhood in truth, united in a training of utmost discipline, and a dedication to re-establishing Women's connections to a strong Celtic-based Western Tradition. Through study, research, and personal workings we are once again recalling our heritage and fulfilling our sacred trust.

I have read pretty much all of MZB books over the years ( prefered the Dark over series personally and thier take on the astral planes and magic ) and all those in the series Historical chronology: ANCESTORS OF AVALON, FIREBRAND, RAVENS OF AVALON, FOREST HOUSE, LADY OF AVALON (parts 1-2), PRIESTESS OF AVALON, LADY OF AVALON (part 3), MISTS OF AVALON.

I found the mini series to be very enjoyible
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0244353

There are things in those books which would echo some of my own beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

Hi Thaedydal,
    Thanks for that. I'd just like to spark off some conversation in general and hear other views/opins. I suppose my question was really about system(s) devouted to the goddess - as per the book...hence matriarchal.

I think I read about the sisterhood of avalon some years ago, but never pursued it (maybe a male thing lol). I take the view that we haven't really inherited much of a true/accurate history, and I often wonder (especially while reading the mists) is that how things were? Devouted to the goddess as an all encompassing mother. Do you think it's a devotion on the way back in...as in the cycle turning again? Personally, it appears that there are whole groups of people going in such diverse and personal ways that pursuit of pagan ideals (I include goddess worship in that) is factured at best.

Re the miniseries - I bought it two months ago, and throught it destroyed MZB's brilliant work. I really hated the DVD!

I've read all the avalon related material, as i have found them (only in a fictional sense) the closest 'idea' of what goddess worship..unfractured...might represent. I'm interested in your comments on darkover...I avoided them, but might take a look!

Finally - do you think (in airy universal terms..) that the writing of such books, albeit years ago, are away of the universe expressing itself...ie backt o the wheel turning again I mentioned earlier?

thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭skateing dragon

I havn't read this book but I think I might check some of them out.

Advertisement