Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling to Mullingar

Options
  • 14-05-2007 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Anyone know a good route for cycling from Dublin to Mullingar? Distance is about 80km if direct and I wouldnt want to add too much to this distance if going a more scenic.
    Also I presume its ok to cycle along the N4? Are the motorways the only place you can't cycle? I'm not to clear on the rules :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Might be a nice route if your vear off the n4 of Kilcock and go through Summerhill, Balivour, Killucan and into Mullingar. Not sure on distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

RedTea wrote:
    Anyone know a good route for cycling from Dublin to Mullingar? Distance is about 80km if direct and I wouldnt want to add too much to this distance if going a more scenic.
    Also I presume its ok to cycle along the N4? Are the motorways the only place you can't cycle? I'm not to clear on the rules :confused:

Its ok but i dont want to contemplate the thought of a 40ton artic lorry travelling behind me at 100kmph. Maybe try regional roads, its up to you

I would actually prefer trucks passing at 100kph on a national road, at least you have the hard shoulder to cycle on. Regional roads are worse imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

mloc123 wrote:
    I would actually prefer trucks passing at 100kph on a national road, at least you have the hard shoulder to cycle on. Regional roads are worse imo.

I see what you mean but you then have to be aware of cars quickly coming in front of you to go onto the shoulder. Also a lot of debris and roadkill sometimes that can be a hazard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Titiritero

Hi Red Tea,

If you don´t mind a slow pace, traffic free, slightly wild route, try the Royal Canal! Starting in North Strand, the towpath will take you to Mullingar (and Longford if you keep going) on a completely flat towpath, free of traffic, very quiet, and with plenty to enjoy on both sides of the canal.

The only drawbacks is that depending when was the last time that Waterways Ireland cut the grass the going can get tough at times. Surface is a mix of tarmac, grass, and some singletrack at times. Very enjoyable if you like a bit of adventure! You can do it with a mtb or a decent hybrid, not possible with a road bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Thats great to know. Can you really cycle up the canal all the way to Mullingar ?
    I sometimes go some of the way home that way from north strand to ashtown. Its a very difficult cycle from ashtown to blanchardstown though - you would need a mountain bike. And between north strand and ashtown, I think I need to dismount and walk across roads etc maybe four times...

Have you done this yourself ? If so, how long would it take do you reckon and how many times would you have to dismount ?

Sorry for all the questions - thanks

I know somebody that did Maynooth to Mullingar a few months back along the canal and said it was very very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

mloc123 wrote:
    I recently cycled to Hill of Tara via back roads. I returned via the N3 which I hated.
    I found the surface and experience of the back roads to be considerably better.
    The Ordnance Survey Discovery series maps are very useful for finding these regional/back roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

mloc123 wrote:
    Might be a nice route if your vear off the n4 of Kilcock and go through Summerhill, Balivour, Killucan and into Mullingar. Not sure on distance.

That road is very bad due to a lot of quarry's along that route and a high volume of sand and gravel lorries and a lot of Cement trucks. You would probaly be better cycling it on a sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Titiritero

Money Shot wrote:
    Thats great to know. Can you really cycle up the canal all the way to Mullingar ?

Have you done this yourself ? If so, how long would it take do you reckon and how many times would you have to dismount ?

Yes, you can cycle all the way to Mullingar, and even to the Shannon, just beside Longford. I did it in October'05, and as I said before, the condition greatly depends on when was the last time Waterways Ireland passed by there. Sometimes it was a perfect grass carpet, others the grass was 10/15cm high, others it was just a lovely quiet country road.

It's true that it's slow (cycling in grass is tough going), but I did it in a day, at an average of 15 km/h, enjoying the landscape. I guess it's better with a mtb, but I did it with my hybrid and had no problems. Left Dublin early Saturday morning, night in a B&B in Mullingar, next day to Longford, and back by train.

• Advertisement
Advertisement