Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovering IP address' of our alcatel switchs

Options
  • 14-05-2007 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have two alcatel switches and I want to find out the ips so I can log in and configure them remotely.

I just scanned the whole network with netwhistler and everything has shown up as a workstation even the bloody printers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

If its just a standard workgroup switch it may not even have/require an IP address assigned. Check the console directly with a serial cable and save yourself some hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Traceroute

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Cal wrote:
    Traceroute

Cal.

hmmm traceroute wont give me the ip address of a switch.

Its a high spec MPLS so theres defintely remote access.

I don't know the commands for alcatel switches you see so I want to access the web interface.

hmmm traceroute wont give me the ip address of a switch.

Note to self......read post carefully before posting:o

Kali's suggestion seems most logical.

Cal.

Its a 48 port 6850.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Many high-end switches have either a separate physical RJ-45 connector for administration purposes (out-of-band admin) and/or put the administrative functions on a separate VLAN, so you might not even see it on an IP scan from one of the other VLAN's.

Who installed the switches? They should know how they're configured.

Ok, Ill just go up and manually connect to the switch.

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

console cables are your friend

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If all else fails then reboot it and sniff the traffic as it starts up with etheareal or similar works well for routers, but a real pain for switches since you're better off disconnecting all the other devices :(

if the unit has a MAC address then you could use Ethereal or windup/tcpdump to only report packets from that till you find an IP packet , if you get lucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

2 options, both rely on the Mac address being printed on the units (most are).

1 - Check your DHCP server for those MACs as most devices default to BOOTp/DHCP out of the box.
    2 - Run NMAP -sP (subnet/bit notation) and pipe the results to a text file eg. To scan a std. class C network of 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 run "NMAP -sP 192.168.1.0/24 >C:\Temp\Nmap1.txt" . It will do a simple ping scan and output the results, including IP and mac addresses, to the file which can then be easily analysed.

Advertisement