Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken Xbox

• 14-05-2007 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Bought my 360 March 2006, it's started freezing up lately just after this latest dashboard update and now it won't start up, I'm getting the three red lights which is a hardware failure afaik.

Whats the warranty on these? I bought mine where I work last year but don't have my receipt as I lost it moving house.

Just wanted to play the forza 2 demo pretty badly but can;t now! If I have to send it back can I keep my HDD? Or swap it for a blank one and send that with the console and keep mine?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Get onto your retailer, I'd guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Same thing just happened to me but I was under my year warranty so I rang MS and they sorted it out. Seems that if you don't have a receipt you'll have to deal with MS directly. If you're not under warranty you'll more than likely have to cough up 100E for a repair. Don't worry about losing anything from your hard drive, you dont need to send it. All you pack off is the console bo itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Another broken xbox :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eazye

I had a single red light, that would appear at start-up. also the console wouldnt start up with the controller. Had to press the button a few times to get it going. Brought it back to HMV. Told them i had 3 red lights. No receipt. Tell them you didnt contact MS. The guy replaced it there and then. No hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

You only send back the unit itself, you keep all accessories (apart from faceplate). I just got mine back yesterday. Only took about 12 days. Cost €120 cause I was out of warranty but now I have another years warranty on a new(or very well looked after refurb) and an extra month of Gold Live Subscription. As annoying as it was for the thing to break down, I have to say their repair service is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭anto1208

if you had a euro for every xbox broken thread , you could afford a PS3 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

anto1208 wrote:
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,704 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

anto1208 wrote:

I laughed.
    Probably for a different reason than was intended, but still.
    Fanboy-ariffic!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

mines really starting to act up now too (bought March 2006) so its out of warrenty. Its freezing every 20 to 30 minutes someless more often than that and the CD Tray often gets jammed when i try to open it to put another game in. Seems alot of bother having to pay for postage, wrap up the console and send it off and pay 100 euro for it to get it fixed. Anyone know when the xbox Elite is out coz i mite buy one of those instead of gettin my current one fixed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Ok I called up Microsoft and was told my console is out of warranty, so I said no it isn't! I was put on hold and the guy came back, said he was speaking to a supervisor who said 'we have to go with what the customer says, so you are now in warranty and eligible for a free repair'

This was 10pm last night, and this morning a guy called to pick up the console - but I was told that they wouldn't come for a few days until I had my console all boxed up and stuff, I hadn't got it ready so he's calling again tomorrow morning.

Said it's going off to Holland and will be about a week return.

Sorted! (I hope!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

funkyflea wrote:
    Ok I called up Microsoft and was told my console is out of warranty, so I said no it isn't! I was put on hold and the guy came back, said he was speaking to a supervisor who said 'we have to go with what the customer says, so you are now in warranty and eligible for a free repair'

This was 10pm last night, and this morning a guy called to pick up the console - but I was told that they wouldn't come for a few days until I had my console all boxed up and stuff, I hadn't got it ready so he's calling again tomorrow morning.

Said it's going off to Holland and will be about a week return.

Sorted! (I hope!)

I rang them and was told I was out of warrantey aswell, but they're repairing it for free as a "goodwill gesture"! Nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 J`S

all electronic products in Ireland have a minimum 2 year warranty, no matter what the companies own policy is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I've had a nice dealing with MS also. Got the red ring of death almost 2 weeks ago now. So I rang MS the next day and gave em all my details. Luckily my warranty doesn't expire til July so its all free of charge. So my beloved console is away in Germany at the moment being repaired. All I hope is that the repair is somewhat permanent and I don't have to end up sending it off again a few months down the line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Yeah ^ I second that. I really am disappointed it broke down in the first place.. but now it's away, I can't wait to play it again, haven't been using it much but maybe this will rekindle my friendship with it..haha..not in a weird way.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

got mine october 2006, when i turn it on i get 3 red lights anyone know the number for microsoft?

and do u give it back in the orignal box or do they supply a box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Can we just put up a sticky thread called: My 360 has more red lights than Amsterdam on a cold November evening. What do I do?

There is one these threads nearly daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

MikeHoncho wrote:
    My 360 has more red lights than Amsterdam on a cold November evening. What do I do?

There is one these threads nearly daily.

4 out of 10 for that gag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

4 out of 10 for that gag.

Yes I toyed with the idea of using a joke about red rings and homosexuals but felt it might be too offensive. It was a poor effort I will admit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

MikeHoncho wrote:
    Yes I toyed with the idea of using a joke about red rings and homosexuals but felt it might be too offensive. It was a poor effort I will admit.

My brother is colour blind and often mistakes red for brown. The joke wouldn't have been lost on him. He's not a homosexual btw.

Advertisement