Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hall of (poor coffee) Shame

Options
  • 14-05-2007 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭

OK, here's something that I have strong opinions on:

It happens so many times in Ireland when you eat out. You order an espresso at the conclusion of your meal and are then served something that bears no resemblance to said beverage.
    As an enthusiastic brewer of home espressos, I reckon I can produce a better espresso than 95% of restaraunts in this country. It's truly pathetic some of the watery, evil-tasting, crema-less 'espressos' that I've been served up in so-called restaurants in this country (and then asked to pay €3 for :eek: ). Even Italian restaurants are not immune from this disease!

The Revolution starts here people, name and shame! We should not stand for this!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

For anyone in Dublin City Center who uses coffee to get them through their daily lives, what ever you do, don't get it from that coffee machine in Spar on Nassau street. It tastes like absolute crap. I know that coffee from those machines isn't suposed to be gourmet coffee, but even for bad coffee, the coffee from this place is beyond description.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I generally like Starbucks coffee. Fairly consistent. About a month ago, however, I made a trip out to Dundrum shopping centre (we had gotten some vouchers as a wedding present). As I was leaving, I ordered a venti latte to go. It was muck. Couldn't drink it. I've had lattés plenty of times in other Starbucks, and never had a bad experience, but this one was rotten and insipid. Maybe they accidently used funny milk or something, cause its not hard to make a latté. Espresso, hot milk, foamed milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

I suppose I should make some contributions:

both Deep and the Oar House in Howth should be ashamed of the quality of their espressos

on the plus side, Il Fornaio in Kilbarrack has superb espressos

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

Actually, it is pretty easy to get a latté wrong. Starbucks use pods in their espresso machines, so the staff can't get it too wrong on that front (they can never get it spot on either though). In my experience they usually get almost everything else wrong though, primarily the milk. Cappuchinos always have the same horrible foam with massive bubbles. And their latté milk usually feels like it's not been steamed half enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Getting a latté wrong in my definition is making something I don't want to drink. That doesn't mean they have to make a perfect latté, just a milky coffee with some foam on top really. In that sense, its not rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

But it's soooo much better when it's perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Bewleys

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Artizan on Camden Street, near the bleeding horse, and that crepe place in Temple Bar. Both absolute muck. Poured both of them straight down the drain after one sip.

++ to Cafe Cagliostro in the Italian Quarter near Jervis Street, and the Italian place in the Epicurean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

"++ to Cafe Cagliostro in the Italian Quarter near Jervis Street, and the Italian place in the Epicurean."

Can you clarify for me - are you adding these to the avoid list, or saying they're worthwhile (++)?

Positive mentions for those two.

Negative for the first two.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Maxwell house. ( who buys it ? )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

dudara wrote:
    ++ to Cafe Cagliostro in the Italian Quarter near Jervis Street, and the Italian place in the Epicurean.

agree heartily!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

O'Briens.

Lordy - you ask for a capucchino - they give you a latte.
    When you say 'sorry I asked for a capucchino' - they sprinkle coco on top.
    Jaesus.

olaola wrote:
    O'Briens

Oh lordy yes, their coffee quality is just abysmal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Even Italian restaurants are not immune from this disease!
    Many would say you should never order an espresso based drink in a resturaunt, usually far too long a time between preparation and serving. In Italian coffee shops I hear they horse down the drinks the moment they get them. Most here like to linger over drinks and so demand overheated muck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Lisdoo Dundalk, should be ashamed of themselves, to spend that much money on a premises and not be able to serve espresso... The coffee was pish poor too.

Advertisement