Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jewell Steps Down

• 14-05-2007 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭

My god the're dropping like flies at the moment!
    Paul Jewell has stepped down as manager of Wigan Athletic.

Jewell guided The Latics to Premiership safety with a win at Sheffield United on the final day of the season.

However, he will not be in charge for a third season in the Premiership as he has decided to step down from the JJB Stadium helm.

More to follow

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i wonder where he'll be off too; or if he is just taking a break from footie. I dno't see any better jobs around, and i certainly don't see any that would take him (newcastle being a better job, but he wouldn't get that)

EDIT: Actually, I wonder if he could be on hi way to Man City; i wouldn't be surprised to see Pearce get the boot, but i would have thought the current or future owners of City would go for someone with a higher profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I hope Newcastle or possibly Man City dont think he's good enough for them! Never liked him, just annoyed the ****e out of me for some reason, hopefully back to lower leagues where he belongs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

During his first season i thought he was decent, then as the stress got to him he became less likeable by the week. Most managers who are under the cosh end up like that tho. I wish him the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

he must have got a job modelling ralph laurens latest jumpers ? he wears some lovely pink ones -- surprised he left wigan , thats about his level

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

He probably realised how lucky he was yesterday. It seems that this would be his uppermost limit as a manager (i.e getting teams promoted and either barely holding their own or they get relegated).

Also maybe he thought that this was as far as Wigan were going to go, and in his mind they could be prime candidates for relegation next year, who knows :confused:

I couldnt see Newcastle asking him to be their next manager (that will be Allerdyce's job) and Man City might want someone with a bit more aspiration that 4th bottom from the Premiership table at the end of the season.

I'd say he will join a "middle of the road" team in the Championship and try and help them get promoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Stepped down before he got the sack more like....

Wigan are a decent club, and have a bit of money, Jewell can't attract the type of players they need.

Also he fell out with Jason Robertson and Chimbonda, while letting Jimmy Bullard leave :confused:

He does have some cracking jumpers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

give the lad some credit, he brought a rugby town side into the premiership in 5 years from division 2.

i hope he gets the bolton or city job to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

no chance of him being sacked. He was offered the job for life only last year and the chairman praised him to the high heavens yesterday. I reckon it could be the bolton job or is little Sam permanent? If not Bolton then probably Man City. Newcastle is Big Sams.

If he's taking time out I'll be sorry to see him go. He's done very well with Wigan and comes across as a genuine kinda guy. Far more likeable than Warnock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

He did really well with Wigan last year too, so much so all the good players he'd gotten wanted to leave the Rugby town as they were wanted elsewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Id say its the citeh job. Allardyce seems to have the Newcastle job so that leaves only the citeh job, when Pearce is sacked of course. On MOTD last night he seemed resigned to getting the boot once the new owners are in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

VinnyL wrote:
    give the lad some credit, he brought a rugby town side into the premiership in 5 years from division 2.

Completely agree. Overall, he has done an excellent job at Wigan and leaves them at the top level with the opportunity of a bright future. So he's maybe not the most likeable manager and shows the intolerable levels of strain and pressure that he is under at times. Not a reason to hate I say. Good luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I am wrong in saying the Sammy Lee has been given the Bolton job on a permanent basis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

zabbo wrote:

Also he fell out with Jason Robertson and Chimbonda, while letting Jimmy Bullard leave :confused:

Chimbonda handed in a transder request as soon as the match had finished, still in his football gear. I'd be raging if i was manager aswell.

Bullard wanted to move to London to be closer to his family i think.

He's done a brilliant job with wigan and i expect to see him at man city at the start of next season.

dubmick wrote:
    I am wrong in saying the Sammy Lee has been given the Bolton job on a permanent basis?

He is confirmed as permanent boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I also think that he did a great job. Reports are that Stuart Pearce is going to be announced as the knew manager in a few days so presumably the board knew this was going to happen, I had heard about him stepping down yesterday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There was a piece on the Guardian website this morning with him saying that he might go if they stayed up.

I also think I read it in yesterday's Sunday Times (which I had bought for the free Punk CD)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

bucks73 wrote:
    He is confirmed as permanent boss.
    So VinnyL and Sprinkles are talking ****e then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think he's done an incredible job, an really good manager. I think he'll go to City and do quite well.

dubmick wrote:
    So VinnyL and Sprinkles are talking ****e then :rolleyes:

Maybe you should read their posts again.

And just to clarify, Sammy Lee was confimed as manager of Bolton a few weeks ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bolton_wanderers/6606553.stm

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Paul Jewel's assistant Chris Hutchings has got the job.

I thought Jewel did a great job was very surprised to see him leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

he did the same at Bradford a few years ago didn't he?

Probably pictures it being a slippy slope back to the Championship and wants to get out while he still can with quite a good managerial rep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

pearse sacked. It's only a matter of time now...

Advertisement