Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housebound people and voting.

Options
  • 14-05-2007 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Howdies,
    Apologies if this isnt the right forum.
    Does anyone know what the procedure is for a person to vote if they are unable to leave their home? My mum really wants to vote, but it totally housebound, so cannot get to the polling station. I dont know if she is able to do anything about this, but if there is an option for her to be able to vote, I'd be grateful for any advice.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Archeron wrote:
    Howdies,
    Apologies if this isnt the right forum.
    Does anyone know what the procedure is for a person to vote if they are unable to leave their home? My mum really wants to vote, but it totally housebound, so cannot get to the polling station. I dont know if she is able to do anything about this, but if there is an option for her to be able to vote, I'd be grateful for any advice.
    Cheers
    There were adverts in all the papers for several days recently in relation to making provisions for this.

For express treatment though, contact any of the candidates running in her area. They will do their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

From Citizens Info:

Voting by post

If you have a physical disability or illness that prevents you from going to the polling station and you live at home, you can vote by post if you apply to be included in the postal voters list, which is drawn up each year as part of the register of electors. You must apply by 25th November in order to be entered on the postal voters list.

You can apply to your county council or city corporation in order to be entered on the postal voters list. Application forms can be obtained by phoning the county council or city corporation and are also available in post offices, local authority offices, public libraries and Garda stations. An application form is usually sent by post to each person on the current year's postal voters list. The application form includes provision for a medical certificate, which is usually required in the case of a first application only.

Advertisement