Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxer with a Broken Nail - Advice requested

Options
  • 14-05-2007 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

I came home yesterday to find that my dog had a broken toe nail. It was broken below the quick and looks very raw. She is walking round on it normally in the house but shows reluctance to put the paw to the ground outside.

I want to bathe her paw in some sort of antiseptic and my question is whether there is anything other than salt and water I can use to bathe her paw?

It isn't because her nails are too long, I had her to the Vet last week for her annual booster and check up. He said her nails were fine and that she was wearing then down fine on her walks.

All advice welcome and thanks in advance,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

surely salt on a open wound would cause a percing pain??

Ring the vet and ask him what to use or cover the wound with bandage.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

If it was the dew claw - the one that doesnt touch the ground - then it would be very painful and as far as I know could require vet treatment bec the risk of infection is high they usually will remove them.

Our dogs tail hadnt healed properly when we got him bec it was badly docked (although I own a boxer I dont agree with docking, its just that no breeder will take it upon themselves to not dock tails bec they think they wont sell them :( )
    anyway our vet advised warm salty water, not too much salt, one part salt 10 parts water is ok I think, tbh the broken nail should be fine once its not a dew, if it looks anyway infected ring vet for advise but I know from a grooming course I did if you accidently cut below the quick it will cause pain bec you hit a nerve and will bleed alot but otherwise the dog will be fine.

Deffo keep an eye on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

You could try an antisceptic spray, same thing happened mine and I used a spray. Worked fine until nail healed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Be very careful about what anitseptic you use, what's safe on us might not be safe on dogs. The same thing happened our cat, her nail completely broke off once, I just put warm salty water on it and it was fine. It never grew back the same though but it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Thanks for the advice all,

It's not a dew claw but the equivalent of our index finger and I don't want to put aniseptic spray on it cos she keeps licking it.

So salt and warm water it must continue to be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement