Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

EMO, good or bad

• 14-05-2007 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

One of my friends is big in to emo music, personally i hate emo music. yesterday i was watching kerrang, i think, and they were palying a video from 'Aiden', i said i would give them a chance and listen to the song with an open mind. Then came the chorus, with the lyrics, 'This razor blade was ment for me'. jusus if you were a depressed kid, this would make you an a more depressed.
    I think emo music ia only going to be a phase like nu metal, and will be gone in 1-2 years.
    also, what is with the emo look, and how they dress?

my opinion = BAD!!

howtodressemobykarinekofe1.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

what is with the emo look, and how they dress?

howtodressemobykarinekofe1.jpg

Jebsus , how high and mighty, and judgmental are we? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Emo=Bad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If you turn it around...
    Ome seems like a pretty cool word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Emo..... another musical genre hijacked by goths...or at least wannabe goths who cant quite pull off the whole gear without their parents catching them!

The actual genre can be traced back as far as bands such as Weezer....whom we all know were at one time the greatest band on the planet, so as a whole, emo isnt bad....just the little wannabe goth mutherfokkers make it bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Showing my lack of knowledge here but are My Chemical Romance emo? I've heard one or two of their songs and I thought they weren't bad.

I don't like the emo look but I guess that most teens feel a need to identify and conform with a group standard rather than being individual. I did it too, I remember wearing Metallica and MegaDeth T-shirts back in the day :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

MCR are emo..

and they're awful

I don't give a **** if you're not ok, you whiny goth ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

mcr are the biggest emo band out there!!! I wear Iron Maiden and Trivium t shirts, and im no emo!!, its the **** song lyrics and emo kids saying that those bands are the best bands in the world that really grinds my gears!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bleh, emo

Thats all I have to say on the matter...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Personally, emo music to me would equate to bands like Jimmy Eat World and Sunny Day Real Estate, while the "emo" fashion style or get-up would be similar to the stereotype posted above.

Most of these so-called "emo bands" these days are really just playing pop-punk or post-hardcore music, so I wouldn't consider them emo in that sense. They might be dressed "emo", but that doesn't nessessarily equate to emo music.
    Eirebear wrote:
    Emo..... another musical genre hijacked by goths...

Surely you're talking about mini-rockers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Personally, emo music to me would equate to bands like Jimmy Eat World and Sunny Day Real Estate, while the "emo" fashion style or get-up would be similar to the stereotype posted above.

Most of these so-called "emo bands" these days are really just playing pop-punk or post-hardcore music, so I wouldn't consider them emo in that sense. They might be dressed "emo", but that doesn't nessessarily equate to emo music.

Surely you're talking about mini-rockers?

Asi went on to describe them as wannabes, but probably better described in hindsight as "minimoshers" or my personal favourite "PokeMoshers" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

meh emo will die. long live spandex and hair metal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm of the opinion that this hatred of 'Emo' is completely irrational. I mean, who gives a ****? Let the kids listen to what they want, and dress how they want. There's far, far worse things that teenagers could be doing.
    Jebsus , how high and mighty, and judgmental are we? :p

Nice to see some sense on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Ahh Karl, we all know you're just bitter cos ya didn't get to do the whole Emo thing when you were young. ;)

you're just bitter

I don't taste bitter at all! Salty perhaps, but not bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Good emo is good, bad emo is muck. Gawd can people not realise that there will always be good and bad bands in any genre? Bands like Rites of spring or other early bands like weezer as mentioned are good. Can ye not judge their music on a case by case basis rather than "everything in this box=bad"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Oh, a genre argument. How very uninteresting. I've yet to discover a topic less vital or more irritating than musical genres. They're not really there anyway.

Now, emo kids. I don't understand the disdain they get from...just about everybody. I find the long-haired, "because-I-can"-bearded crowd quite the bother, possibly because a lot of the anti-emo invective comes out of hairy, Nile-ravaged vocal cords.
    Ugh.

Fair play to emo kids. They put up with a lot of rubbish from a lot of idiots.

*chews the bitter husk of his brain*

Oh yeah, and emo music isn't so very depressing. Phil Collins, the Cheeky Girls, Fiddy, now there's your warm bath music.

Tchocky stop following my posts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Tchocky stop following my posts!
    meh, everything else on this forum is either Poker, Cycling, or someone reading their boyfriends texts and having a canary. You find interesting bits

Go, ScoutBard, go!

*files name change request*.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I reckon the emo scene is next on Bush's hitlist as after the Middle East they have the next highest stock of fossil fuels:
    moblog_05f7b2d461d34.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

The thing is that emo isnt actually bands like hawthorne hights mcr or aiden, calling them emo is like calling someone like kid rock metal.

However i am against this ****ty infestation of bands that everone here is mentioning. Aiden being the worst offenders.

If the razorblade was meant for you go ****ing use it and stop bitching the world will be a better place you attention seeking whore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I'm of the opinion that this hatred of 'Emo' is completely irrational. I mean, who gives a ****? Let the kids listen to what they want, and dress how they want. There's far, far worse things that teenagers could be doing.

Nice to see some sense on this thread.

Yeah , I'd completely agree with you

and thank you. ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I like j-emo because you cant understand the words :D

emo is good, taking the piss out of emo is good, its all good really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

emo wouldnt be so bad if it didnt command such a following, because of its popularity its on all the music channels. I switched from mtv2 to kerrang to skuzz finding mcr twice and falloutboy. I turned the tv off.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I wear Trivium t shirts, and im no emo!!
    Oh sweet jebus - that's the funniest dam thing I've read here in a long time.

* wipes the tears from his eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Bastard offspring of goths and punks. It's true that there're worse things they could be doing but I personally think it would be cruel to not let them know how ridiculous they are. Everyone has emotions. All music is emotional. Saying you want to slit your wrists doesn't make you deep or interesting. There's a **** load of decent melancholy music and literature out there if that's what floats your boat. Goddamn Kurt would've shot himself twice if he knew what commercial ball he'd got rolling.

wtf has emo got to do with goth??? Emo started as a mix of punk and hardcore. And I don't know what leap you are making from Cobain to emo but its...daft to say the least.

Edit: also, here is a website that explains what emo is about, where it came from, etc. http://www.fourfa.com/

I'm pretty sure goth is not on any of the pages, certainly not in the history and styles section.

wtf has emo got to do with goth???

Absolutely nothing. People just throw around 'Goth' interchangably with 'Mosher' and other such terms, without having the slightest clue about the style of music at all.

The only thing it has in common is the dark clothing, which is something that can be said of a lot of the followers of any style of rock or metal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Long post...

I'm a 20 year old who listens to posthardcore and emo. I'm certainly not in it for teh trendiness and nobody feeds me my musical tastes, etc.

Good post- and prog-hardcore: Thrice. Fear Before The March Of Flames. These Arms Are Snakes. The Blood Brothers. The Fall Of Troy. The Sound Of Animals Fighting. At The Drive-In.

Here's a song by Fear Before The March Of Flames. Their sound has changed a lot. On the latest album they play a good mix of post-hardcore, emo and mostly just progressive heavy music, with plenty of electronica.

Here's an newer song by the same band:

Good emo: Sunny Day Real Estate. Cursive. Some Thursday stuff (border on posthxc). Old Jimmy Eat World. Texas Is The Reason. Jawbreaker. Brand New (border on pop-punk IMO).

Two great Cursive songs from 2003:

Some screamo bands: Circle Takes The Square, Saetia, Orchid, Converge (arguably metalcore but lyrically lean screamo), Ampere.

...Just search for these bands if you wanna hear what these genres really sound like.

I was in my mates house watching Kerrang, Mtv2 and Scuzz for a few hours the other week. Not a single emo or posthardcore song was played...

Hopefully this post has been, like, enlightening or something...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement