Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

EMO, good or bad

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That's a very good and imformatitive post there Tommy.

Like terms like Goth, Metaller, etc, emo has probably been bandied about as a catch all for a load of pop music that's around. It's almost unfortunate except for the fact that it's all sh1te :p</obvious-fun-poking-troll>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Tchocky wrote:
    Fair play to emo kids. They put up with a lot of rubbish from a lot of idiots.

really, idiots?

i wish my garden lawn was emo, then it would cut itself

Kharn wrote:
    Oh sweet jebus - that's the funniest dam thing I've read here in a long time.

* wipes the tears from his eyes

whats your point? since when to trivium write songs about cutting themselves, and witing poetry? there ia a huge difference between trash metal and emo. Look at the pics of last years download in england, what is kirk hammett wearing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

really, idiots?

i wish my garden lawn was emo, then it would cut itself

Yeah I think that's the sort of idiotic stuff Tchocky was talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭23

Emo is a bad fashion make for muppets by muppets.It'll go away and nobody will give a feck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

whats your point? since when to trivium write songs about cutting themselves, and witing poetry? there ia a huge difference between trash metal and emo. Look at the pics of last years download in england, what is kirk hammett wearing?
    Haha, your posts grow more hilarious still!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

really, idiots?
    A thousand times yes. Idiots. Morons, even.

Observe how this thread hasn't gotten past genre-based arguments or references to self-harm.
    examples - "Converge (arguably metalcore but lyrically lean screamo)" - Tchock says that don't matter, are they any good?

"If the razorblade was meant for you go ****ing use it and stop bitching the world will be a better place you attention seeking whore." Tchock's brain isnt up to that one yet.

That's not to say that there aren't idiots or morons who listen to emo*, but there are idiots who call people out on the basis of their musical taste, that they listen to emo, or Brahms, or whatever.

*It turns out that musical taste isn't an indication of intelligence, who knew?

I'm not expecting a dissertation on emo music, considering that this is all very (He's not going to say it! wait!?!) subjective, but it would be nice to hear something new. I'd quote karl if christophicus hadn't already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Kharn wrote:
    Oh sweet jebus - that's the funniest dam thing I've read here in a long time.

* wipes the tears from his eyes
    Haha! I thought I was the only one here laughing. Glad to know I'm not going mad

IMO, emo stinks of puberty. I wouldn't have called Weezer or Jimmy Eat World emo, would have considered them to be some sort of post-punk or something. Thanks to this thread, I now know of two 'emo' bands that I consider to be tolerable.

Tchocky wrote:

*It turns out that musical taste isn't an indication of intelligence, who knew?

You lie Tchocky!!!
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/03/21/nmetal21.xml

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/shortsharpscience/2007/03/metalheads-are-stressed-boffins.html

For the record converge are decent but not something I'd buy, but maybe I haven't heard enough to fully know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I dislike emo music, or what is referred to as emo music in the media. I also dislike the clothing style, but lots of people dislike my music taste and my clothes so I just live and let live. I have yet to meet a so called "emo" that is over the age of 20, though, so maybe its just a fad or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Emo as a genre has taken so many different twists in the last 20 years that the word "emo" on its own as a genre is pretty vague and overwrought, a bit like R'nB.

Its quite useful as an umbrella term for the new gothy/punky/metaly mainstream style popular among teens. For instance: "those emo kids look really sad", or "I dont like all that emo sh1te" are both perfectly clear. This version of emo would include young people who might listen to bands like Metallica, My Chemical Romance and Funeral for a Friend all at once.

I'm called emo ffs, for just for listening to metal full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

emo.gif

:D

They dont look very emo to me.

More like:

emo.jpg

I think!

Yep, they resemble the teens that hang around Dunnes Stores in Kilkenny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Little know fact: the plural of Emo is Emus, i.e. look at all those Emus.

I switched from mtv2 to kerrang to skuzz finding mcr twice and falloutboy. I turned the tv off
    In fairness, both of those bands definitely play their own brand of pop-punk now. They just dress/look vaguely the way that other emo band members would.

MCR's first and second albums walk a line somewhere between pop-punk, emo and posthardcore. But this new, useless 'black parade' album with it's pianos, ballads, Queen-esque bits and Liza Minelli duets and solos are nothing to do with emo music. The lads just forgot to change their image along with the music.

TBH I shouldn't have even brought Converge up, as they're so far from emo as to be nearly irrelevant. They just happen to be a band that tasteful emo/screamo and posthxc fans listen to. They're associated with the 'scene', if you will.

Funeral for a friend's new stuff isn't anything like emo anymore, really. I'd call it pop-rock. They're a terrible band now, IMO.

Here's a band that for many people, absolutely epitomise nu-emo. From First To Last:

This is the band that inspire the black-eyeliner'd kids you see hanging around your local dunnes stores or whatever passes for a 'mall' in yer neck of the woods, lol. Yeah, they do look ridiculous in the video, but whatever - it's just fashion. Their most recent album 'Heroine' happens to be absolutely class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

emo.gif

:D

I would say this look is closer to the original emo bands mentioned in this thread from the last 15-20 years than any of the bands like MCR etc who are classed as emo nawadays TBH

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'd view them more as art students than emo

not that being an art student is any better than being an emo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Mordeth wrote:

It's so hard being perfect Mordeth..... i feel your pain :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Most of ye are all judgemental ****tards. Why cant ye accept the fact that they like something different than your beloved metal.. Wow, singin about ****ing a dead body and cumming bllod is so much worse than singin about your heart dying after a break up or what not. Just go luck at yourselfs, pittyful and immature thats what you will see..

I've reported this thread, because I like the music and I think its complete B/s that its getting the piss taking out of it. fools..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

have to admit i like a fair bit of emo music, none of that tripe though that's currently labelled as emo ala fall out boy and my chemical romance.

more the likes of sunny day real estate, weezer, jimmy eat world, early saves the day, the get up kids etc.

here's an interesting link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28music%29

i guess i'm a second generation emo fan :p

i also agree with what karl said eariler if these people want to listen to fall out boy or my chemical romance or *insert other band name here* it's fine by me, they can also wear what they like it doesn't bother me, they could be doing a hell of a lot worse. imagine they all turned into scumbags over night, society would die.

Mordeth wrote:

Almost as clever as hypnotising a brick.

Wikipedia wrote:
    In many cases, the term has simply been attached to them because of [...] a common fashion sense, or because of the band's popularity within the "emo" scene, not because the band adheres to emo as a music genre.
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm going to lock this thread if some of the people posting on it don't cop on real fast.

This means you too, R_H_C_P.
    I don't care if you like the music, and think it's unfair that it's being criticised, the abusive tone of your post isn't winning you any favours. Don't like the criticism? Address it in an adult manner, not by calling everyone '****tards' and other such things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

emo.gif

It's funny 'cos I've seen that picture before, YEARS ago. Maybe around the start of the noughties or thereabouts, when bands like Jimmy Eat World and Dashboard Confessional were taking off.

If you read the writing on the right side, the magazine acknoledges "how emo is not a fashion movement". How things have changed.

But it's a stereotype of the geeky kinda look that alot of (what I consider) emo bands had back then. Like, yer man looks like he's straight out of Weezer.

"Emo" fashion, as we know it today, is pretty much what you see above with a couple of Goth fashion aspects thrown into the mix. Eye-liner and makeup included.

That pic is clearly ancient, yeah.

Haha, your posts grow more hilarious still!
    you are obvously not into metal

• Advertisement

I like the music and I think its complete B/s that its getting the piss taking out of it. fools..

Lighten up. If someone wants to take the piss out of some form of music you like then why not let them off, its only a bit of humour. It would be worse if someone was trying to label them all as neo-facists or something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement