Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

EMO, good or bad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

R_H_C_P wrote:
    Most of ye are all judgemental ****tards. Why cant ye accept the fact that they like something different than your beloved metal.. Wow, singin about ****ing a dead body and cumming bllod is so much worse than singin about your heart dying after a break up or what not. Just go luck at yourselfs, pittyful and immature thats what you will see..

I've reported this thread, because I like the music and I think its complete B/s that its getting the piss taking out of it. fools..

who sings about fu*king a dead body?

oh no, he is going telling on us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

who sings about fu*king a dead body?

oh no, he is going telling on us!

Cannibal Corpse?

Cannibal Corpse?

point taken!! (btw i dont like death metal or black metal!!! i like my cheesey or trash!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

you are obvously not into metal
    Not strictly trve. I do own every Metallica album, every Megadeth album, lots of old school metal like that. Used to be completely into 'em. Wouldn't listen to 'em for a second now, though. The funny thing is, I'm probably still more well up on my metal than you are, even though I'm not a fan of hilarious bands like Trivium.

My point about your post being ridiculous was that you were going on about what Kirk Hammett was wearing, as if that meant something! Who the **** cares what they wear?! Is this thread about clothes/fashion? Or is it about emo music? Or just about 'emo' behaviour?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nightwish wrote:
    I dislike emo music, or what is referred to as emo music in the media. I also dislike the clothing style, but lots of people dislike my music taste and my clothes so I just live and let live. I have yet to meet a so called "emo" that is over the age of 20, though, so maybe its just a fad or something.
    Well, I'm 21 soon!

You are called emo because you are, yes?

• Advertisement

Who the **** cares what they wear?! Is this thread about clothes/fashion?

you were Implying that i was an emo because i was wear a trivium tshirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

The funny thing is, I'm probably still more well up on my metal than you are, even though I'm not a fan of hilarious bands like Trivium

an implication that trivium = metal

when the hell did that happen :)

Ph3n0m wrote:
    an implication that trivium = metal

when the hell did that happen :)

trivium have always been metal. have you heard much of their stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Mordeth wrote:
    i'd view them more as art students than emo

not that being an art student is any better than being an emo

It's a lot better.

trivium have always been metal. have you heard much of their stuff?

heard the first and second album, and while they are not bad musicians (i personally dont like them) - Matt Heafy's vocals are simply terrible - he doesnt know whether he wants to be all trendy and do EMO style vocals or copy James Hetfield

And no - I wouldnt class Trivium as "metal" - to me they are simply too like that bloody mallcore crap

• Advertisement

ive got the 3 albums, the new one is the best, the whole screamo thing is gone (which i never really liked!), guitar wise, most of it in standard tuning not drop D, like the other 2 albums (for those people who play guitar!).
    The genre they are in is 'Trash metal'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ph3n0m wrote:
    heard the first and second album, and while they are not bad musicians (i personally dont like them) - Matt Heafy's vocals are simply terrible - he doesnt know whether he wants to be all trendy and do EMO style vocals or copy James Hetfield

His vocals aren't like emo ffs.

His vocals aren't like emo ffs.

apologies not emo - but on the first album he was doing that "trend of the moment for mtv crap" of that screamo-type cr, like this :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNLDLyeepVs

but also their cover of Metallica's Master of Puppets just reeks and not in a fragrant aromatic way - more like a Sunday morning special in the toilet

think this sums Trivium and the rest of them all up very well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chiVMrWMHko

we will agree to disagree with the whole trivium thing. There are so many bands calling themselves 'metal' that are no more metal than avril lavagine, e.g. The LostProphets!! Total guitar called them the best british metal band in the last few years! WTF!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Well, I'm 21 soon!

You are called emo because you are, yes?

Yeah, totally

You're were emo until you bought yourself some credibility with the Cradle of Filth t-shirt :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Eric Clapton used to be in a heavy metal band (Cream), and if you're emo if you listen to metal then does that make Clapton an emo? Also he had long hair, that makes him an emo too, obviously :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

One of my friends is big in to emo music, personally i hate emo music. yesterday i was watching kerrang, i think, and they were palying a video from 'Aiden', i said i would give them a chance and listen to the song with an open mind. Then came the chorus, with the lyrics, 'This razor blade was ment for me'. jusus if you were a depressed kid, this would make you an a more depressed.
    I think emo music ia only going to be a phase like nu metal, and will be gone in 1-2 years.
    also, what is with the emo look, and how they dress?

my opinion = BAD!!

howtodressemobykarinekofe1.jpg
    It seems to be more of a fashion statement rather than a music genre these days. If the kids want to dress like that, then let them. They're better off sulking on some street corner than shaking some oul one down for her pension.

OP, you say you like trivium and complain about the "emo's", but have you taken a look at their fanbase? I'm of the opinion that Trivium are a band thats trying to be metallica/iron maiden and a high % of their fans are Emo Kids.

Quite a bit of what is labeled emo is really Post-Hardcore, bands like funeral for a friend. Aiden and MCR(especially the latest album) seem to be doing the emo thing.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at all the ignorance in this thread.

This "Trivium = emo?!" thing has gone beyond a joke. They are metal. Maybe a woeful, watered down version of metal at that, but they are metal.

Screaming in a song does not = 'screamo'.
    There are so many bands calling themselves 'metal' that are no more metal than avril lavagine, e.g. The LostProphets!!
    Ridiculous. You say "calling themselves" metal, when talking about lostprophets, but then go on to say it is in fact Total Guitar that called them 'metal'. So, like, balderdash, I say.
    wrote:
    Total guitar called them the best british metal band in the last few years! WTF!!!
    lostprophets are most influenced by Duran Duran. 'Nuff said. They write pop-rock these days, and damn good pop-rock at that. lostprophets are a great band. Probably the only good band to get any Mtv airtime. Their first album, despite having the whole DJ scratching thing on it, was most heavily influenced by posthxc punk band Refused. Listen to the riffs and it makes sense.
    My advice to you would be to not read/pay an extortionate $10 for Total Guitar. Again. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Yeah, in fairness, Trivium aren't really emo. Not to get in a classifying argument, but they just aren't.

Someone's already linked www.fourfa.com, so there's not much more I can say. I think he's got some MP3s to download, check them out. The one by Usurp Synapse is nuts, very loud and shouty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Trivium have a high emo content in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The genre they are in is 'Trash metal'

Trash huh? I would agree with this statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

oh the difference a letter makes.

bombidol wrote:
    Trivium have a high emo content in fairness.
    Yeah, but we are (I am) trying to avoid as much as possible the trap of using 'emo' as a synonym for pathetic/****...the perversion of the term's definition just causes arguments and bad associations.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pariko

When most people (you can call them misinformed, ignorant, whatever, but you're swimming in vain against an enormous sh*t-tide) use the word 'emo', they aren't referring to any musical style in particular really, they're referring to a fasion movement, a teenage subculture; more to the point a DEMOGRAPHIC, a section of society that a wide range of music is geared towards with a profit motive - some of it pop rock, some of it hardcore, some of it post-hardcore, some of it newskool trash metal. I'm essentially talking about people who wear skinny jeans, Converse (or slip-on Vans), tight band-name t-shirts and studded belts, have over-the-top manga haircuts, have facial piercings, wear too much eyeliner etc. - sorry to generalise, but everybody else does...

You're all just chasing each other around in circles trying to pin down what exactly defines the emo musical genre, because the time when that term actually referred to one particular style of music is long gone. If anything, it's used more by people as a quick and easy way to try and insult or belittle other people's musical tastes - i.e. oldskool metalheads who love shouting "DEATH TO FALSE METAL" (grow up lads!) at every given opportunity will always use the word emo to get on the nerves of people who like drivel such as Trivium and Bullet for My Valentine.

They write pop-rock these days, and damn good pop-rock at that.

agreed, they are pop rock. it was an interview with them on total guitar, and the band were saying they were metal. my arguement is not that the band is bad, it is that they are in the wrong genre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

eoin5 wrote:
    Eric Clapton used to be in a heavy metal band (Cream), and if you're emo if you listen to metal then does that make Clapton an emo? Also he had long hair, that makes him an emo too, obviously :D

I know you are taking the p!ss, but the mind boggles how you could say Cream were metal.

Cream were part of the birth of heavy metal, get yer history book out :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heavy_metal_bands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Phoebus

I branch off to emo music/rock/punk/metal or whatever. I don't care what anyone else thinks. I liek the music because unlike pop music they actually have SOME meaning. Admittedly there's some good pop music, but as someone mentioned there's good and bad in every genre. I hate most pop except for the odd song and I love most emo/rock/punk/metal music but the odd song again is crap or band.

I don't think people should be judged by what they wear or what music they listen to. I listen to emo music, wear converse because they're comfy, wear those kind of clothes and have my hair emoesque but that doesn't make me an emo.

Phoebus wrote:
    I don't think people should be judged by what they wear or what music they listen to. I listen to emo music, wear converse because they're comfy, wear those kind of clothes and have my hair emoesque but that doesn't make me an emo.

Thats like a duck walking up to you and telling you hes a swan :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Phoebus

Is it really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement