Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

EMO, good or bad

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,871 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Emo is too broad now it seems. Too generalised: its like calling something Rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Phoebus wrote:
    Is it really.

For some reason, I imagine you saying that in a reeeeaaaly emo voice. Hehe.:)

Anyways this whole emo argument *sigh* . I've given my views on this at least 3 times on this forum already. Here I go again!

The first wave of emo began with bands like Rites of Spring, Husker Du, One Last Wish, Fugazi and Dag Nasty. Their music was pretty much straight up Hardcore Punk with introspective lyrics that were more in touch with their feelings. Sure, emo originally stood for emotional-hardcore. These were proper DIY bands, who sure as hell weren't out there to make a quick buck, wrote some very good music and appealed to a youth sub-culture.
    Take this in contrast to bands like My Comical Romance and Picnic! At The Kiddies Disco.

The emo's that you see standing outside your local shopping centre are just the latest wave of brainwashed wannabee eMpTyV upper-middle class kids. Emo, you can say has become a mainstream alternative provided and supplied by the already existing mainstream. (whew!)

I have opened my mind to these things, even participated and tried to find enjoyment and even have a few freinds who would be somewhat emo. But, and this is only my mere opinion, so dont confuse what I am saying for being worth any more than that:
    The emo "scene" (or whatever) is based around turning adolesent and sulking into an image. It contains pretentions towards intellectualism and introspection, yet perpetuates apathy, sarcasm and arrogance as ideal defining characteristics. The established emo scene is based around the assumption of an aristocratic facade by those who maintain it. By "aristocratic" one should read "arrogant". Depression, in reality, is a massively damaging and horrific illness that I would not wish upon anyone. People should not, in my view, falsely claim towards it and use it as an image. This world is already dark and unpleasent enough without more voices calling one to further darkness and nihilism.
    Punk originally emerged as a reaction to hippies, who claimed to be revolutionaries but in the end achieved very little.
    What is emo out there to achieve? Is it just the newest "rebel agaisnt your parents" genre of music which is always being continuisly replaced every few years?

But this is all just my opinion, people.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Phoebus

I think people are really one sided nowadays. People use stereotypes way too often in my opinion.

So Emo - good or bad? Whatever, because no matter what people say it's not going to change the fact that people who are classed as emo will be shoved into an even bigger pit for incineration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Phoebus wrote:
    I think people are really one sided nowadays. People use stereotypes way too often in my opinion.

So Emo - good or bad? Whatever, because no matter what people say it's not going to change the fact that people who are classed as emo will be shoved into an even bigger pit for incineration.

Ah, quit yer whingin'! It's just music. Listen to what you like, no-one ultimately gives a flying fart about your justification for it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Phoebus

Ah, quit yer whingin'! It's just music. Listen to what you like, no-one ultimately gives a flying fart about your justification for it. :)

Thank you I agree.
    I wasn't whinging, merely putting the point across.
    Glad to see there's some sense that people listen to whatever the hell they want and screw the rest. :) *shuts up*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Phoebus wrote:
    It's not going to change the fact that people who are classed as emo will be shoved into an even bigger pit for incineration.

You have no idea how hard it was not to just make a joke about how whingy and emo this is.

True that. But this is the Rock/Metal forum and we like to get nitty gritty in here.:cool: ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

For some reason, I imagine you saying that in a reeeeaaaly emo voice. Hehe.:)

Anyways this whole emo argument *sigh* . I've given my views on this at least 3 times on this forum already. Here I go again!

The first wave of emo began with bands like Rites of Spring, Husker Du, One Last Wish, Fugazi and Dag Nasty. Their music was pretty much straight up Hardcore Punk with introspective lyrics that were more in touch with their feelings. Sure, emo originally stood for emotional-hardcore. These were proper DIY bands, who sure as hell weren't out there to make a quick buck, wrote some very good music and appealed to a youth sub-culture.
    Take this in contrast to bands like My Comical Romance and Picnic! At The Kiddies Disco.

The emo's that you see standing outside your local shopping centre are just the latest wave of brainwashed wannabee eMpTyV upper-middle class kids. Emo, you can say has become a mainstream alternative provided and supplied by the already existing mainstream. (whew!)

I have opened my mind to these things, even participated and tried to find enjoyment and even have a few freinds who would be somewhat emo. But, and this is only my mere opinion, so dont confuse what I am saying for being worth any more than that:
    The emo "scene" (or whatever) is based around turning adolesent and sulking into an image. It contains pretentions towards intellectualism and introspection, yet perpetuates apathy, sarcasm and arrogance as ideal defining characteristics. The established emo scene is based around the assumption of an aristocratic facade by those who maintain it. By "aristocratic" one should read "arrogant". Depression, in reality, is a massively damaging and horrific illness that I would not wish upon anyone. People should not, in my view, falsely claim towards it and use it as an image. This world is already dark and unpleasent enough without more voices calling one to further darkness and nihilism.
    Punk originally emerged as a reaction to hippies, who claimed to be revolutionaries but in the end achieved very little.
    What is emo out there to achieve? Is it just the newest "rebel agaisnt your parents" genre of music which is always being continuisly replaced every few years?

But this is all just my opinion, people.:)

Thanks for some worthwhile insight. The depression these youngsters feel of course is nothing of the sort that truely lost people face, but it still its important to lend a hand to the teens in this arena when so little stimulus of this sort gets through to them. I believe that at least some forms of music should help them through this phase and emo isnt the worst by a long shot. Its certainly better than christina aguilera or britney spears in this situation. That said emo isnt immune to attack for this reason alone, its not an all encompassing genre no more than any other genre is and therefore has many areas to improve and work on constantly. I have trust in the vast youth populace that most of them will see clearly on this eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭klaus flouride

Metal used to be about working class guys who worked bull**** jobs and then let themselves loose at the weekend- expressing their angers and fears cos thats what suited the music most. Now its about little rich-kids with face paint, bloody ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Metal used to be about working class guys who worked bull**** jobs and then let themselves loose at the weekend- expressing their angers and fears cos thats what suited the music most. Now its about little rich-kids with face paint, bloody ridiculous.
    What music "used to be" can eat a bag of dicks. I for one don't want to glorify the past or on-principle-listen-to 'working class guys', why would I? Besides, this thread has little/nothing to do with metal.

• Advertisement

What music "used to be" can eat a bag of dicks. I for one don't want to glorify the past or on-principle-listen-to 'working class guys', why would I? Besides, this thread has little/nothing to do with metal.

What the freak is wrong with 'working class guys'?
    You're really going to let that marr your judgement of music?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

What the freak is wrong with 'working class guys'?
    You're really going to let that marr your judgement of music?
    Eh, you got me all wrong.

What I'm saying is that their class has nothing to do with it. I don't give a **** what jobs they work. So you're right, I won't let it marr my enjoyment of their music, but neither will it enhance my enjoyment of their music.
    Meaning it's totally irrelevant, so bringing to try to argue some kind of point is just idiotic.

What these little emo ba$tards need is a good long week of hard back breaking work- I gaurantee you that when friday evening rolls around they won't be scurrying back to their black-walled bedrooms to write 'dark poetry' or whinge and whine about everything, as though they have really unfortunate existences; they'll go and do what real people do- go to the pub and get smashed so that you can forget about your crappy week, if they did that they'd probably end up wondering what they were moaning about in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

What these little emo ba$tards need is a good long week of hard back breaking work- I gaurantee you that when friday evening rolls around they won't be scurrying back to their black-walled bedrooms to write 'dark poetry' or whinge and whine about everything, as though they have really unfortunate existences; they'll go and do what real people do- go to the pub and get smashed so that you can forget about your crappy week, if they did that they'd probably end up wondering what they were moaning about in the first place.

couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Are you guys seriously under the impression that moaning about what some kid who listens to a style of music you don't like on the internet makes you any better than them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

Most Emos are Fake so Bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Captain Smiggy

Originally posted by Karl Hungus
    Are you guys seriously under the impression that moaning about what some kid who listens to a style of music you don't like on the internet makes you any better than them?

Thank you! A little fcuking clarity...jesus, why bitch so much about stuff that really doesn't matter? There'll always be annoying music fans out there(jazz fans are my anathema, YOU'RE NOT THAT COOL!), so Go to Homebase, buy some wood, build a bridge and get over it.

Eh, you got me all wrong.

What I'm saying is that their class has nothing to do with it. I don't give a **** what jobs they work. So you're right, I won't let it marr my enjoyment of their music, but neither will it enhance my enjoyment of their music.
    Meaning it's totally irrelevant, so bringing to try to argue some kind of point is just idiotic.

My mistake buddy.:)

No, I just do it for fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

The mind boggles. Large amounts of this thread read as if written by Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons, were he a metal fan. "Worst...music...ever":D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

emo=bad

give them rasor blades

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Floydaholic

Emo=Bad.

Emo lyrics arn't gonna help anyone, and they're just **** anyway. Glorifying depression isn't the way to go. It makes Emo's think that being depressed is cool, and they will try and find as many symptoms as they can in themselves so they can say "ooh look, I have scitzophrenia". Well, I have news for you, it's not cool to be depressed, or have any mental or physical diseases. Emo's just make themselves sad by listening to Emo music and hanging around with other people who are depressed, because they think it is cool to be depressed, so they can get attention. People like that make people care less about people's problems in general. There are actually people out there who have deeper problems, and they don't go around telling people about it because they think it's cool to be suicidal. Sadly, these people keep it to themselves, but some go and look for help. People could see Emo as being a cry of help. Who knows, maybe there are a few people in there who actually have real problems. But if Emo's are showing each other's cuts to each other to see who can cut deeper, then that's not real depression. I don't know what it is, but that is just wierd. It's a form of attention seeking. People who are actually really depressed won't look for attention, but they might cry out for help by telling someone, and not confiding in someone who thinks it's cool. "ooh look, I almost got to a vein yesterday". That sort of thing isn't cool. Alot of Emo's are probably jsut trying to fit in, because they can't anywhere else.

There's my 2c's on Emo-ism anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

get the emos to listen to metal. puts me into a good mood.
    got an emo mate of mine to listen to cannibal corpse today, guess what she liked it. I am not lieing i got an emo to listen to cannibal corpse and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

get the emos to listen to metal. puts me into a good mood.
    got an emo mate of mine to listen to cannibal corpse today, guess what she liked it. I am not lieing i got an emo to listen to cannibal corpse and enjoy it.

Thats like trying to cure syphillis by giving someone aids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

0ubliette wrote:
    Thats like trying to cure syphillis by giving someone aids
    common, being emo is a lot worse than having syphillis or aids!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Alright, this thread has just reached incredible stupidity levels... Have a little cop-on next time lads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement