Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to 360

• 14-05-2007 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

hello.

I traded in my PS2 for a 360 over the weekend ... What games would you recommend I pick up ?

I like Sports Sims & Shoot Em Ups ...

cheers.

p.s. I won't be using it online for about a year, so only games that stand alone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Sports Sims:
    NBA 2k7 - brilliant basketball game, best of its kind
    Madden aint bad but 08 is coming soon(a few months)
    Both of the Footie games aren't great, prob rate fifa 07 higher but last gen games def better
    Fight Night 3 also really good if you like boxing.
    (Forza/Dirt will be 2 great driving games to look out for soon)

Shoot EM Ups:
    Gears of War - obvious but very short single player so maybe wait till you get Live
    Rainbow 6 - very good tactical shooter
    Call of Duty 2 or 3 - 2 was a classic and prob cheap at the mo, 3 has better(bigger) multiplayer but single player wasn't improved much(not entirley a bad thing)

P.S. I think Live is the best feature of the 360
    For a lot of these games you can get a demo to try out first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

- Rainbow 6 Vegas is solid, but better if you plan to play multiplayer.
    - Gears of War is good.
    - Maybe Crackdown? In a nutshell I'd describe it as "GTA with superpowers"
    - Call of Duty 2 is old at this stage so you should be able to get that cheap, and it's good (nice challenge on Veteran).
    - If you like driving/racing games, check out Forza 2 next month.
    - Earth Defence Force 2017 is cheap (check on Play.com) and good fun, like a B-movie with giant robots and bugs
    - Viva Pinata is great, but some cynical people won't give it a try because they think it's too "kiddie"
    - Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (1 and 2), the first one is cheap now and a good game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Rainbow 6 Vegas is one of the best games you can get if you like to use your brains while using your guns.

Crackdown is fantastic, just because of the sheer amount of awesome stuff you can do in it (don't expect much of a story though!)

Call Of Duty 2 & 3 - Excellent games, with some brilliant stories and music to back up the action.

Fight Night Round 3 - Probably one of the most realistic looking boxing games ever made and great fun to play too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

gears of war- for sheer craic and the fact that it is the most beautiful game around at the moment

rainbow six vegas- started playing it last night and have to say its very immersive and addictive, def highly recommended

crackdown- is getting good reviews overall played it yesterday for an hour and seems pretty good

overt the summer there is going to be some highh calibre games coming out so good purchase(crysis, bioshock, assasins creed etc.)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Unless it's eircoms fault that your not intending to go online yet, due to broadband not being available, then the best money you can spend on the 360 is to get a Live subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yeah the 360 is really crippled if you dont have Xbox live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mully

robinph wrote:
    Unless it's eircoms fault that your not intending to go online yet, due to broadband not being available, then the best money you can spend on the 360 is to get a Live subscription.

I've no phone line in the Apartment, so that rules out most BB packages. Will be moving in a year, so holding off until then ...

Cheers for the info. Its nice that there is some concurrence as to what the good ones are. Alot of threads I've been reading have been resorting to 'Its Great, Its ****, Its Great etc' differences of opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Most places (Eircom + BT, even NTL for a fee!) can arrange you to move your bill to somewhere else if your moving out (Housemove they call it! :D ) and then transfer it to the new area, if they cant give u bband in the new place then by law they have to cancel the subscription for it.....

Happy Days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I got the achievement for 50hrs play on Viva Pinata at the weekend. Thats about 4 times longer than most other games have kept me playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭anto1208

Id recomend Gears of war , Rainbow 6 , Ghost recon 1 & 2 . Id give fifa and pro evo a miss both terrible ( pro evo can be got for 20 euro trade in now that will tell you what people think of it ) .

Dont worry about xbox live i have it and havent used it in 6 months , Its full of sad ass nerds that do nothing else all day but sit on there xbox , it really is hard to find anyone just to have a laugh with . If you have mates on live thats your best bet . gears of war and rainbow 6 co-op missions are the best fun . the death matches are a waste of time ( full of NERDS !!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

anto1208 wrote:
    Dont worry about xbox live i have it and havent used it in 6 months , Its full of sad ass nerds that do nothing else all day but sit on there xbox , it really is hard to find anyone just to have a laugh with . If you have mates on live thats your best bet . gears of war and rainbow 6 co-op missions are the best fun . the death matches are a waste of time ( full of NERDS !!)
    Just build up a friends list through forums and with people you've played with and you never have a problem.You are always going to run into idiots public games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

Yeah don't try to play Gears of War or Halo for your first time on Live, it becomes an exercise in futility. Everyone who plays is pretty hardcore and don't like newbies joining in on their fun. (Can't remember how many GOW lobbies I was booted out of before the game even started)

The one thing I keep coming back to on Live is Rainbow 6 terrorist hunt, really great game on live, and seems to house the better elements of Live.

If anyone wants a game, add me 'Johnny Porridge'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

I have my 360 now 10 days, got PES 6 , GOW, Crackdown, love them all, and very often switch between them. Not the usual with me, like to play one game through but i like them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I'm sorry but I have say something, PES6 is a class act game ok it hasn't got the edit features for all those peopel who want themselves in the game or they want the sit there for hours editing there team, but for shear gameplay its class and if you manage to get on Live its even better, the pure addictive ness of trying to get your rank up is great.

Another one I would get is Lost Planet which for me is just a pure out and out fun shootem up.

I'm sorry but I have say something, PES6 is a class act game ok it hasn't got the edit features for all those peopel who want themselves in the game or they want the sit there for hours editing there team, but for shear gameplay its class and if you manage to get on Live its even better, the pure addictive ness of trying to get your rank up is great.

Another one I would get is Lost Planet which for me is just a pure out and out fun shootem up.
    PES6 really ?? i hated it, i have had every pro evo and this is by far the worst , i traded in my xbox 360 version for a ps2 version and the difference is emmence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

In what way is the difference Immense , sure I agree that the 360 version is bare bones but then again I only every play it on xbox live and on that its class far better then network play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Just build up a friends list through forums and with people you've played with and you never have a problem.You are always going to run into idiots public games.

No point in listening to anto because he posts rubbish in the console forums which he got shot down in the Playstation forum for hammering the 360. Do not listen to him.

In what way is the difference Immense , sure I agree that the 360 version is bare bones but then again I only every play it on xbox live and on that its class far better then network play.

Passing shooting scoring practically everything , I had it on old xbox and loved it thought it was better than ps2 version but the 360 version was rushed out and its just not right its hard to put your finger on it but its just not right

kensutz wrote:
    No point in listening to anto because he posts rubbish in the console forums which he got shot down in the Playstation forum for hammering the 360. Do not listen to him.

:rolleyes:

you want a lolly pop ??

yea ?

your a good boy arent you ?

yea special person with your new jumper you look lovely ...

now run along and play .....

aaahhhhh its nice to see them having some fun isnt it

Ciaran500 wrote:

I have a big list of people i know online , but they unfortunatly they fall into the NERD catagory sitting down for 8 or 9 hour sessions of death matches .

I was over in one guys house they where playing on live and i started messing and he freaked because i was going to ruin his score on the leader board :eek: :eek: i had to dish out a slap , like who cares about that kinda nonsence only NERDS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Got to agree poor old Anto is a blinkered fanboy - you can safely
    disregard anything he types or mistypes when comparing the PS3
    to the 360. But I'd expect nothing less from someone who is proud that
    they drive whilst listening to music via earphones.

http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055092373 :D

Just to add any of the Tom Clancy (GRAW, GRAW2 or Rainbow 6) are well
    worth it and are available cheap on play-asia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Funny how he listed out what we told him the 360 can do and he blatantly denied it during the thread which was locked that the 360 could use those features.

Anyway back on topic:

Games recommended:

Rainbow Six, Gears Of War, COD3, Guitar Hero II, Dead Rising (for slashing zombies up), Crackdown (Halo beta tomorrow), GRAW2.

Got to agree poor old Anto is a blinkered fanboy - you can safely
    disregard anything he types or mistypes when comparing the PS3
    to the 360. But I'd expect nothing less from someone who is proud that
    they drive whilst listening to music via earphones.

http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055092373 :D

Think if im a blinkered fan boy then so are you so they cant take your advice on it either now can they ??

When did i say im proud of it ive said ive done it you really shouldnt miss quote people .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Lads get a room.

On topic for the OP there are piles of games that are for the original Xbox that work on the 360. There's a site or two that lists the games that'll work, I can't link to it here as I'm in work and my proxy blocks that stuff :( . Probably cheap two. I'd recommend Halo & Halo2. They'll get you up to speed for when Halo 3 comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Jesus looks like the fanboys are on a roll today alright..... :rolleyes:

I love all consoles meself, wont buy a ps3 til a price drop though!

My Fav 360 games so far:

Pro Evo 6
    Gears Of War
    GRAW 2
    Rainbow Six Vegas
    Halo 3 Beta
    Oblivion

kensutz wrote:
    Funny how he listed out what we told him the 360 can do and he blatantly denied it during the thread which was locked that the 360 could use those features.

look ive given you a lolly pop and told you your jumper is lovely what more do you want ?

I cant remember ever dening that the xbox could stream music/video .i Allways knew that .

really stop miss quoting people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

LAY DOWN YOUR HANDBAGS.

On topic:

Gears of War
    Dead Rising
    Crackdown
    Earth Defence Force

Luckily for action game fans, it's the one genre that the 360 excels at.

Well i got attacked im just defending myself . im just giving a bit of advice if the poster doesnt want it he doesnt have to take it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eazye

Yeah id agree with the lads.

For Sport: PES6, and Fight Night Round 3

In terms of shooters, Rainbow Six:Vegas has excellent visuals and as always Ubisoft have attention to detail down to a fine art.

I just started playing F.E.A.R. Its an FPS with a real creepy atmosphere and it well worth a look. Some scary bits that'll make you jump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Have to recommend the following:
    1.Rainbow Six: Las Vegas
    Amazing game play, great graphics and the best multi-player on the 360 at the mo.

2.Gears of War: looks amazing, cover system is not as good as vegas but definitely easy to get into and play. One of the few who think this is better than Halo.

3.Fight Night Round 3: Great game to get your gamerscore up because the achievements are easy to complete. Create your own boxer and fight the big guys plus a nice classic mode were you can fight Ali and Frazier.

4.Crackdown: Amazing experience being able to leap buildings in a single bound. A.I not the smartest but the newly introduced downloadable content will keep you going for a while.

5.Dead Rising: Controls are a bit tricky but when it comes down to it you can run around a huge mall chopping up zombies with a katana sword.

Advertisement