Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Washing car for nct???

Options
  • 14-05-2007 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this was posted already, but I have my nct coming up and it says that the car should be reasonably clean - especially the underbody. Obviously I'll wash it and clean it out, but I'm just wondering how clean they expect it to be or if there's anything special I need to do.......I don't want to give them an excuse to fail me on something silly, as the car itself should be fine as it was only serviced last week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

You should be fine, just make sure the boot is clear. theyll want to check the spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Dont worry about the underneath.Just make sure everything else is clean

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

As long as the underside of the car doesn't have lumps of muck hanging from it you should be ok. Just remember that the personb inspecting the car will be under neath it while it shaks rattles and rolls, if they start getting lumps of crap dropped on them, they will be none to happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As long as the underside of the car doesn't have lumps of muck hanging from it you should be ok. Just remember that the personb inspecting the car will be under neath it while it shaks rattles and rolls, if they start getting lumps of crap dropped on them, they will be none to happy...

Exactly. And clear the boot as beerbaron said. Bear in mind they test stuff like back seatbelts, so make sure they are all visible and not covered in clutter either

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Go get a full car wash somewhere, usually they'll get enough of the underside to be perfectly fine, unless you do a lot of driving on mucky roads. They want to check for rusty areas underneath, so once they can see the underside you're grand. Lumps of crap falling on them isn't gonna do you any favours though ;) as someone else said. On the spare thing: I'm pretty sure you technically don't have to have a spare for the NCT. I went through with a bald, buckled spare a while back and it wasn't checked. I think they may look for structural damage on the boot floor which would suggest a rear impact that wasn't repaired properly, rather than a road legal spare. Either way though they need the boot empty...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

chuckles30 wrote:
    ...the car itself should be fine as it was only serviced last week.

I hear this all the time, don't be suprised if the car fails regardless of whether it has been serviced or not.

A service is typically an oil change, filter changes, maybe plugs as well.

NCT failures are typically tyre/brake/suspension related, emissions related or headlight related. Often stuff that your machanic won't have checked, or won't even have the equipment to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The car should not fail for having no spare wheel. It would fail if there was a sapre present but it was in bad shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

For the last time:

The spare wheel is not part of the test!!! Only Taxis and Hackneys are required to have a spare wheel.

Advertisement