Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stuart Pearce Sacked

• 14-05-2007 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

It was coming wasnt it....but with Samaras and Vassell up front he never had a chance did he :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

lol. Another one?

Someone will have to set up a sub forum on the Soccer Forum just to deal with the amount of sackings and resignations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Dropping like flys today! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Jewell to take over. I think he could do well for City. I also think Samaras isn't a bad player at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think this was inevitable. Samaras is a decent player relative to what is upfront at other clubs. And with the likes of Vassell, Barton, Dunne, Distin, Hamman around the club I think the overall league position achieved this year smacks of underachievment tbh.

Pearce was supposed to be a big motivator - one who would make the team produce more than the sum of their parts. Hasn't happened, and I think he can't have too many complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I dont know about Samaras, i thought he was alright the few times i saw him. But apperantly he is complete ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Ah crap! I put €20 on Pearce being the next to get sacked, but Jewell got there before him...although technically Jewell wasn't sacked, so will the bookies pay up?

I won't be holding my breath!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Saw his interview on MOTD last night and he seemed to have a fair idea it was coming. Their form this season has been woeful and especially at home where they only scored 10 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Nunu wrote:
    Ah crap! I put €20 on Pearce being the next to get sacked, but Jewell got there before him...although technically Jewell wasn't sacked, so will the bookies pay up?

I won't be holding my breath!

course you will
    jewell wasnt sacked

I dont know about Samaras, i thought he was alright the few times i saw him. But apperantly he is complete ****e.

No particular offence intended towards you individually - but that sort of comment irritates me like no other. Samaras is a professional footballer plying his trade at the highest levels. He is not "****e". Any player earning a living from the game is not "****e". You may argue that - relative to other players in his position in the premiership - he is not as good. But he definately has some positive qualities and talent to get as far as he is in his chosen career.

Also, anytime I have seen him play I think he causes opposition defenses problems. Maybe not the greatest finisher in the World. But he gets into good positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Samaras is a professional footballer plying his trade at the highest levels. He is not "****e". Any player earning a living from the game is not "****e". You may argue that - relative to other players in his position in the premiership - he is not as good.

Djimi Traore the exception that proves the rule? Consistantly the worst footballer i've ever seen at any upper level. Poor for Liverpool, then Charlton, and now Portsmouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Djimi Traore the exception that proves the rule? Consistantly the worst footballer i've ever seen at any level.

Leave Djimi alone!

Liverpool wouldn't have won the CL in 2005 without him. He was brilliant in a few of the games during that campaign.

Ya bully! ;)

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Djimi Traore the exception that proves the rule? Consistantly the worst footballer i've ever seen at any upper level.

Well - he was capable of great recovery tackles on occasion. Would he be effective and solid at the Championship level? Serious question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Liverpool wouldn't have won the CL in 2005 without him. He was brilliant in a few of the games during that campaign.
    His performance in the final was probably worse than kewells, yet hes the one who gets all the stick. fair play to djimi, he has a champions league medal and scorer of the best own goal everhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECwFTB9xlj4

I dont think Djimi would be effective at any level till he cops himself on. yes he makes decent recovery tackles, but 90% of teh time they're needed because he fuked up in the first place. His 2 major faults are poor positioning, and trying to play himself out of trouble (and usually ends up getting dispossessed) rather then hoofing it.

He has the tools to be decent enough, but hasnt really showed any signs of playing to his strengths yet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    No particular offence intended towards you individually - but that sort of comment irritates me like no other. Samaras is a professional footballer plying his trade at the highest levels. He is not "****e". Any player earning a living from the game is not "****e". You may argue that - relative to other players in his position in the premiership - he is not as good. But he definately has some positive qualities and talent to get as far as he is in his chosen career.

What are you talking about? Obviously a professional player is better than your average joe soap. That is a given. People can't talk about a professional football player being shiite because he is better than most non-professional footballers? If you were having a conversation you would have to say "He is not playing well for us but I might add he is better than the average person, just not quite as good as other professional footballers". Yea.

What are you talking about? Obviously a professional player is better than your average joe soap. That is a given. People can't talk about a professional football player being shiite because he is better than most non-professional footballers? If you were having a conversation you would have to say "He is not playing well for us but I might add he is better than the average person, just not quite as good as other professional footballers". Yea.

I am talking about the fact that "****e" is a strong term that is mistakenly overused by those who frequent soccer forums and your average fan in general. And when we talk of premiership footballers, you are forgetting all of the other professional footballers at lower levels or in different countries that they are better than. So it isn't just a comparison with the average joe soap.

I think we can all agree that Samaras would destroy the Championship. So he is hardly "****e". Ducy?

Lloyd when people say it i think its generally implied that it means "relative to the standard they're playing at"..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    I am talking about the fact that "****e" is a strong term that is mistakenly overused by those who frequent soccer forums and your average fan in general. And when we talk of premiership footballers, you are forgetting all of the other professional footballers at lower levels or in different countries that they are better than. So it isn't just a comparison with the average joe soap.

I think we can all agree that Samaras would destroy the Championship. So he is hardly "****e". Ducy?

Come on Lloyd, obviously when you say a premiership player is ****e then what is implied is "****e for a premiership level footballer" the relativity is allready taken as a given, everyone knows that players like Traore and Silvestre even who look like they've won a competition to appear in a league match for their favourite team at CB would be savages in the lower leagues but when they play against quality opposition their performances are ****e relatively speaking.

On many occasions I have screamed at the TV questioning how Silvestre, Fletcher and OShea can be so ****e consistently it doesnt mean im not aware that they would walk into any of the relegation fodders teams and probably look decent. (In fairness to OShea and Fletch they have been quite good since Xmas)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

LuckyLloyd wrote:

Why would he destroy the Championship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Kingp35 wrote:

with his good looks?

• Advertisement

Come on Lloyd, obviously when you say a premiership player is ****e then what is implied is "****e for a premiership level footballer" the relativity is allready taken as a given, everyone knows that players like Traore and Silvestre even who look like they've won a competition to appear in a league match for their favourite team at CB would be savages in the lower leagues but when they play against quality opposition their performances are ****e relatively speaking.

On many occasions I have screamed at the TV questioning how Silvestre, Fletcher and OShea can be so ****e consistently it doesnt mean im not aware that they would walk into any of the relegation fodders teams and probably look decent. (In fairness to OShea and Fletch they have been quite good since Xmas)

Bah Eoin. You make sense. I'll shut up so.

Kingp35 wrote:

You wouldn't have wanted him at Leeds this season? I would back him to score 25 goals plus in the championship and generally just crush a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    You wouldn't have wanted him at Leeds this season? I would back him to score 25 goals plus in the championship and generally just crush a lot.

I would back him to hit 20 in any other team not one that gets him one chance every month, notice most his goals are his own creations. Good player in a **** team really.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

The sacking of pearce wasn't exactly a "bolt out of the blue". Man City have been terribel this year. They couldn't buy a goal at Eastlands, ending up with not scoring there after New year's day :eek:

I wonder will he and jewell swop jobs? I.E. Jewell go to Man City and Pearce go to Wigan. Neither would be good choices IMO - Jewell can't work at that standard while Pearce would be working with a group of players that would have been no better than the ones he had at city.

Pearce as much as admitted he had lost his job on Match of the Day last night.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Get itchy feet please Micah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

LuckyLloyd wrote:

Also, anytime I have seen him play I think he causes opposition defenses problems. Maybe not the greatest finisher in the World. But he gets into good positions.

Alot of city fans dont rate him at all though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I've followed City since 1977 (when they lost out on the league by one point to Liverpool) and this season has been one of the most soulless I've witnessed.

The move to Eastlands hasn't helped their style of play.

No surprises that Pearce went. The purple patch in March has kept them up. A lot of decent players have left in the last couple of years and have not been replaced with similiar quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Kojak wrote:

I wonder will he and jewell swop jobs? I.E. Jewell go to Man City and Pearce go to Wigan.
    Well that cant happen as Chris Hutchings was instantly given the Wigan job, Jewells ex-assistant.

Get your bets down that he will be the first lad to get sacked this season! Dont know the bloke but assistant managers stepping up to the plate generally dont have a good record.

was thinking the same sizzler, his record is 1 win in something like 3 months in charge of the Bantams. Definate good call for the sack race - that is if they dont find someone better even before the season starts!

• Advertisement

Claudio Ranieri is the bookies favourite for new manager :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sizzler wrote:

Well Jewell would be far too sensible an appointment.
    With regard to Samaras, Pearce has been playing him on the wing which makes him look worse than he is. Stick him in the box and get crosses in and he'll score goals. He was decent for a while when he joined in that position.
    The next manager might have a better player than they think, that is if they don't ship him out straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Sizzler wrote:
    He has just saved Parma from relegation in Serie A, I can't see them letting him go.

Ranieri is unlikely to leave Parma after saving them from relegation.

PHB wrote:

But he seems to really like England...

PHB wrote:

They're not safe yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Bah Eoin. You make sense. I'll shut up so.

Well, some of the time......

Maybe he likes England, but Parma aren't some minnows team, they are quite a big club. After saving them from relegation, I'm sure he'd like to take another shot at the Serie A.
    It's not like it's Newcastle or something, a team with big potential and money, it's City, a fairly limited team that would require years and years of work to get anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PHB wrote:
    he didn't save them from relegation....Rossi did!:D ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think that with Stuart Pearce, you get what you see, a very honest bloke and a reasonable manager. And definitely a guy with passion, yet with a cool head at the same time. I think the vast majority of people like his frankness and style. However, Man City is a club a bit in the mould of an Everton and are a 'sleeper' club with potential, so perhaps Stuart is not the one to get them to a higher level that they seek. He is, for me, a typical english-style manager of which there are several about and I think he could do a good job at several clubs in the top-flight, such as a Wigan as mentioned. To me, there would be little between Pearce and Jewell.

Man City is also a club that is up for sale, so no doubt a new buyer would like to see their own manager put in place and this current situation allows them to do that readily.

I was surprised a bit by Jewell's resignation. After saving Wigan from the death, and in reality he had little resources to do so, he did an 'okay' job. No doubt it wasn't stress free though.

Out of the Pearce/Jewell/Curbishley/Pardew bunch, I would rate Pardew as being the better, yet ironically he is relegated.

I dont know how Allardyce will do at Newcastle, as his style and character at Bolton worked there for the aspirations of that club, but Newcastle fans will expect a lot more and with more style. Like many before him, it could all go horribly wrong in the NE. How Newcastle appointed and kept Roeder for so long is beyond me though, as he didnt suit them at all.

The merry-go-round has started early this year ....

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Sizzler wrote:
    Wasn't it the City fans that sang 'wassa matter you, gotta no respect' to Ranieri when he was Chelsea manager? Be an interesting appointment alright.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Maybe he likes England, but Parma aren't some minnows team, they are quite a big club. After saving them from relegation, I'm sure he'd like to take another shot at the Serie A.
    It's not like it's Newcastle or something, a team with big potential and money, it's City, a fairly limited team that would require years and years of work to get anywhere.

I think that if you're not at a big team in the top leagues then all managerial jobs in the EPL are more attractive. His pay would probably treble for a start. I know Parma are a big club but with Man City probably getting taken over soon and seemingly having millions to splash it's just more 'fun' to manage in England.

PHB wrote:

I know it's a trivial point in relation to this discussion, but why do you keep saying he saved them from relegation? Parma are 2 points clear of the relegation zone with 2 games left.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables?league=ita.1&cc=5739

For the record I think they will stay up, but it's not a fact yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'd love to see Ranieri back in the Premiership, but it's very premature to say he kept Parma up, they're only 2 points clear with two games to go :confused:

I know it's a trivial point in relation to this discussion, but why are some of you saying Ranieri saved Parma from relegation?
    They're 2points clear of the zone with 2games left.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables?league=ita.1&cc=5739

For the record I think they will stay up, but it's not a fact yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

:p
    Did the database mess up?? I don't think that was there before I posted, otherwise I'm blind :o

Football 365 had reported that SKY Bet had suspended betting on Louis Van Gaal taking over :eek:

Ok, maybe saved is too strong a term, but certainly has pulled them back from almost certain relegation to having a pretty damm good chance. I think one draw in the next two matches should do it for them.

Especially since Caglari have to play Roma, and Reggina have to play Milan.

Don't Milan have the small matter of a Champion's League Final to play?

Milan play Reggina after the CL final

PHB wrote:
    Milan play Reggina after the CL final
    Well done, you passed the test.

• Advertisement
Advertisement