Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muhammad - PBUH

• 14-05-2007 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering why Muslims have to say "Peace be upon him" everytime they mention the name Muhammad. Where did this come from? I was listening to a speech given by a Muslim guy who was talking about Muhammad and it sounded a bit redicilious saying PBUH everytime he mentioned the name. Do you think this is overkill especially if you are talking about Muhammad and are going to mention his name many times?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I am just wondering why Muslims have to say "Peace be upon him" everytime they mention the name Muhammad. Where did this come from? I was listening to a speech given by a Muslim guy who was talking about Muhammad and it sounded a bit redicilious saying PBUH everytime he mentioned the name. Do you think this is overkill especially if you are talking about Muhammad and are going to mention his name many times?

It goes for all prophets as well. Its a sign of respect. It is a bit unwieldy, but still respect where its due I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Where did this come from?
    We read in the Qur'an that which means:
    (Al-Ahzab: 56)
    "Allah and His angels send blessings on the Prophet: O ye that believe! Send ye blessings on him, and salute him with all respect"
    And there is a lot of hadith evidence for this as well.

You will also see and hear the Arabic version of this, commonly s.a.w. (salallahu alayhi wasallam). It is called the salawat.
    Do you think this is overkill especially if you are talking about Muhammad and are going to mention his name many times?
    I don't think so, it always sounds perfectly normal, I would find it more strange not to say it, but that's just from habit I suppose. Having said that, everybody forgets it sometimes, it isn't really an issue.
    I think it is a good demonstration of respect, and shows that a Muslim appreciates the efforts and exemplary nature of the messengers of Allah (peace be upon them all)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I would of thought it should be implied anyway? It is an internet generation, if it can't be reduced to txtspk its too long to talk about.

Which on a subtopic is Muhammads name ever abbreviated? Like in text messages? I'm guessing no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I thought PBUH was used for all prophets of Islam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Jakkass wrote:

Yeah right on the money. I would refer to Jesus (pubh) and Moses (pubh) as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Hobbes wrote:
    Which on a subtopic is Muhammads name ever abbreviated? Like in text messages? I'm guessing no.
    Sometimes people write m7md for Muhammad. It's a kind of semi-arabic 'leet speek', whereby you substitute numbers into words based on what they resemble in Arabic.

(e.g. 3= ع , etc.)

I think it's acceptable to do, I can't see that anyone would have a problem with it... apart from possibly being confusing sometimes!
    Yes, as wes said, it is used in relation to other prophets too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Yeah, it is used for all prophets of Islam but some people don't do it enough in my humble opinion. God says in the Quran what means:

Al-Baqara:285
    "The apostle, and the believers with him, believe in what has been bestowed upon him from on high by his Sustainer: they all believe in God, and His angels, and His revelations, and His apostles, making no distinction between any of His apostles; and they say: We have heard, and we pay heed. Grant us Thy forgiveness, O our Sustainer, for with Thee is all journeys' end!"

Advertisement